Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Auger Choice?

HOOSIER

Whats everyone running out there? I used to have an old Strikemaster Mag 2 stroke. It was a heavy sob and Im not a big fan of having to mix gas. Anyone running 4strokes? I was leaning towards the Jiffy 4g Lite but wanted to get some opinions.

My old Strikemaster is due to be replaced this year as well, and based on what several friends have talked about, I'm leaning towards a propane auger. Lightweight, plenty of power, starts every time, etc. Sounds like in ice a foot or so thick you can drill 20-30 holes on a 1-lb. pig.

NWBuck

I've looked into those. After doing some research sounds like the 4strokes can be a real pain in the ass with leaks and what not. Price wise, the Stikemaster chipper looks interesting, but I'm wary of all the plastic the stikemasters use. I don't need top of the line, but not looking for a POS. So many options....LOL.

Any advice on a flasher too? I used to have a Vex FL-18 but not sure if I want to spend that money again. I want something similar with the bottom zoom feature.

The new 4 stroke that runs on a 1lb. lp tank is the way to go if your looking to upgrade.

I've looked into those. After doing some research sounds like the 4strokes can be a real pain in the ass with leaks and what not. Price wise, the Stikemaster chipper looks interesting, but I'm wary of all the plastic the stikemasters use. I don't need top of the line, but not looking for a POS. So many options....LOL.

Any advice on a flasher too? I used to have a Vex FL-18 but not sure if I want to spend that money again. I want something similar with the bottom zoom feature.

I bought a Marcum LX3 for about 350 and love it. Fished side by side with a buddy that has an FL18 and they are just as equal. LX3 also has the zoom feature the 18 has. About $200 dollars cheaper. I would not go without one now. Caught more fish last year than ever. Cabelas had them on sale right after xmas last year. Still plenty of time to fish with it.

Last edited:
Thanks Hillwalker. I wasn't sure if the LX3 had the zoom or not. That's an awesome feature to have. I'll probably go that route unless someone sells me hard on the hummingbird flashers.

Thanks Hillwalker. I wasn't sure if the LX3 had the zoom or not. That's an awesome feature to have. I'll probably go that route unless someone sells me hard on the hummingbird flashers.

I looked at the Humingbirds also but have not heard good things, I researched these pretty hard and used my sons FL8 for years and finally bought my own. It's actually the LX3tc model. TC means true color, FYI. Goodluck can't wait to get those slabs on the same pond as last year.

My father has the jiffy pro 4. We drilled over 100 holes last year on a 1 lb tank. The lites have a lot of plastic I would be cautious of that. But propane is the way to go.

I sold all my gear a few years back when I moved from ND to Indiana. Had I known that I was going to end up in Iowa, I would've kept it. My FL18 was awesome, but it's too much to buy twice! Looks like I'll try the Marcum. Not really sure where to fish around DBQ, but I'll give it hell trying. So I don't know what to expect. All's we need is some good ice, an auger and I'll be ready!

My father has the jiffy pro 4. We drilled over 100 holes last year on a 1 lb tank. The lites have a lot of plastic I would be cautious of that. But propane is the way to go.

I pulled the trigger on the Jiffy Pro4 Lite. Looks to be a good unit especially for $399! Next thing to buy is an electronic unit. Im leaning towards the Marcum LX3, but I keep hearing good things about the Humminbirds, Showdowns, and Lowrance Elite 4. Id like to keep it in that price range....any advice?

Personally I'd br scanning craigslist and in depth outdoors classifieds. The hard core ice guys are like golfers and bow hunters, they can't go long without the newest gear so usually when ice season gets close there are tons of models from the previous few years for sale.

You can't go wrong with any unit. Ive fished Vexilar, Hummingbird, and Marcum. I now have settled in on Marcum. I run a Lx-7 in the tent and Lx-6 when I'm hole hopping. 6 is a lot smaller unit with the same features as the seven. Buy a unit that will suit your style of fishing the best. If your in Dubuque I'm sure you will fish backwaters of the Mighty Miss. If you do however fish some deeper lakes with suspending fish you may want to lean towards a unit that you can adjust the zoom to be any 10 ft. of the water column rather than just the bottom 10ft. I don't think you can go wrong either way you choose between Marcum or Vexilar. I've fished both a lot and like both units but Marcum seemed to fit my style of fishing.

I run a vexilar and have nothing bad to say about the unit. My brother runs an lx7 and thinks it's great as well. I have birds with all the bells and whistles on my boat and personally I look forward to using a good old fashioned flasher because of the simplicity.

Right now it's between the LX6 and the Lowrance Elite 5. Marine General out of Duluth has them marked down to $450 with a $100 mail in rebate. They look to be very similar except the Elite 5 is $250 off right now. hopefully we'll have some ice again soon!!

If you fish a lot of big water you would pry be better off getting a unit that accepts map chips and has gps but if you are a farm pond fisherman it's not a must have.

Curious how you are getting along with that pro 4 lite?? my buddy bought one this year and just returned it... it wouldn't idle at all.

Top Bottom