Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

auto 12 guage

Rich77

I've grown up running a pump gun from day one. An 870 to be exact, all five of them have always worked flawlessly in any situation.
Saturday a few buddies talked me into a dove hunt, I have to say for the first time I felt like I could have done a little better with an auto.
I own an old rem 1100 but its been passed down and I don't like the idea of beating it up at all.
I'm looking at buying my first dedicated dove/ occasional pheasant/clays gun and am leaning toward a beretta 300 outlander. Something functional but not in the "cut off an arm" price range.
If anybody has a suggestion I'm open to all of them. I'm not biased to the manufacturer I was just really liking the made in america beretta.
Only gun I'm won't consider is the Mossberg and that simply based on the.location of the safety

I dealt with the same thing - my trusty old 870 wingmaster was not fast enough and was not getting the job done in fast situations. I did a ton of research and found one that fit my personal preference/feel - Benelli Montefeltro. I didn't go with Ultralight cause it only carried 3 rounds (silly). I would call the price "mid" (about $1,000) considering what you can spend ($1500-2000) and the shooting is still really solid. One to look into at least.

I've been shooting a Browning Gold Hunter for about 10 years now and absolutely love it. I bought mine new for under $700...but they're much higher now I'm told. Good luck; you'll never go back to a pump again :way:

NWBuck

Can't go wrong with the Beretta, I own the A390 Xtrema II and the new A400, both are great guns and work horses. Had an 11-87 before the A400 and it was a great gun, but in terms of comfort, adjustability, and quality the Beretta blows it out of the water.

If you are worried about banging it up get the synthetic and you can practically throw it around.

If you've had an 870 for years now why not stay with Remington? I would recommend the 1187. I've had one for years now and have never had any problems. My dad has had his for 20+ years and its still shooting like it just came out of the box. VERY reliable with a very good price in my mind. Just my 2 cents.

Winchester sx3. Hands down the best semi loader I've shot for the money. I do a ton of waterfowl and upland hunting even shot slugs out of it and the gun performs flawlessly.

Winchester sx3. Hands down the best semi loader I've shot for the money. I do a ton of waterfowl and upland hunting even shot slugs out of it and the gun performs flawlessly.

I have the x2 and that shoots real smooth too.

Im a so called Benelli buff...I have shot my sbe2 for 8 years and I love it! But I wouldnt reccomend it to someone not wanting to spend that kind of money. I would highly recommend the browning maxus over the sx3. Both are great guns no doubt, and ive shot both, but the maxus takes the cake between the two IMO

Im a so called Benelli buff...I have shot my sbe2 for 8 years and I love it! But I wouldnt reccomend it to someone not wanting to spend that kind of money. I would highly recommend the browning maxus over the sx3. Both are great guns no doubt, and ive shot both, but the maxus takes the cake between the two IMO

After shooting the SX2, SX3, & the Maxus I bought the Maxus in Mossy Oak Infinity a year and a half ago. Great all around gun in that it can cycle everything from 2 3/4 light dove loads up to magnum 3 1/2 turkey/goose loads without problem and without alteration between the very different shells. I was initially excited by the Versa Max and the unique engineering solutions it presented.......until I held one. It's very heavy/bulky/awkward compared to any of the 3 guns previously mentioned above, at least in my opinion. Hope that helps.

I'm still kicking around all sorts of ideas. I looked at the beretta line, very nice guns, toyed with a few benelli's.
I'm still up in the air, tonight ill be running a benelli monifeltro that a buddy has and on Sunday Ill be using my father in laws sbe.
I absolutely don't need 3.5" inch capabilities I've already got a gun specifically set up for turkey and I have another 870 super mag that's full synthtic if I ever get the waterfowling bug.
I did handle a francci that I really liked but I've heard mixed reviews.
Whatever I buy will have 2-300 rounds through it a year. I'm going to continue to run an 870 for most of my shotgun needs

Killed my limit of doves tonight with a benelli monifeltro. I'd never even picked it up until tonight. 26 shells later and I honestly don't know if I'm ready to put down that kind of coin. Im thinking that 10's of thousands of rounds through a pump gun has pretty much set me in my ways.
We will see what I end up doing. I'm still not even sure... new bow this january or a new shotgun?? Im just greatful that's the roughest decision I'm kicking around, thanks for all the help fellas

Top Bottom