Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Back to back crops

Lucky13

Hey guys I'll start off by saying that I read nearly thread in the dbltree corner so I know what they say....I'm wondering if any of you guys plant say brassicas back to back? I have a plot that was killer this year and it was the brassicas dbltree mix(i mean killer killer) and I'd like to have it be he same...I wasn't all that impressed with the rye mix so I'd like to just plant to brassicas again...is there a better way to do this? Any insight on planting he same crop back to back would be great
Thanks!

I usually dont plant them back to back because I plant beans one year to put Nitrogen into the ground and that way I don't have to use a lot of urea when planting the brassicas the next year. Depending on the weather you could plant roundup ready beans in may that way you can spray the weeds and then you can plant the brassicas in late July. Just my opinion. I have a two acre plot and I have brassicas in one half and beans the other and just flip it every year.

You dont want them back to back for too many years because of disease, although it should still work fine. Ive planted them for 2-3 yrs in a row with great success but now i have the plot cut in half and switch sides with the rye mix every year. That way they also always have something to eat all year.

I would not do brassicas back to back at all. Don't do it. Run beans, corn, clover or something else if you don't like the rye mix.

dbltree always said to go 1/2 of each then rotate. Each year is different in what is hot. Willing to bet the deer were using the rye mix way more than you think. Deer herds differ in that what they love. My deer will hit red clover over white during summer. This year was also an excellent year for brassicas to grow long with moisture and cool temps late into winter. The rye mix will feed deer in late winter and early spring. Having a source for year round food imprints on young bucks to come around as they age. These are things I've noticed since following the very wise man Paul. You can always experiment and thats the fun part. I did but always came back to dbltree advice. Good luck.

Top Bottom