Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Backup bow got it done.

isu22andy

Started my season with already crushed dreams as my drop tine buck I was after broke his rack. After numerous hunts for another 140ish ten point, he dissapeared from my cameras and I never saw him again.
My new property I gained permission from that I thought was going to be my ace in the hole seemed to gain about 3 other hunters before the first of November and even got a trail camera picture of them dragging a deer.

I sat 8 hours on my favorite day - November 7th on one of my favorite stands to only see 2 deer and on the morning hunt. I had my bow get hung up on the rope and it fell 6-7 feet and to top it off on the walk out I tripped fell on my bow snapping off the quiver. Friday I went to shoot my bow with a couple clowns on here before lunch and couldnt even adjust my sight to hit the target, I believe it to be a bent cam (2014 Xpedition Xcentric). By Friday, my week of rutcation ended up in me being pretty burnt out and my mood was in the shitter was an understatement.

Friday night grabbed the backup bow from under the bed, 2010 Mission Eliminator II, and shot 6 arrows at 20 and 6 at 30, still somehow dead on. Friday night only saw one buck and a doe, both no shooters. At this point Ive sat over 18 times in the stand without even laying eyes on a buck Id consider a shooter - Which is a lot lower standards than most on here.

Saturday took the morning off, but threw the bow in just in case. Was helping with harvest and had to open a bin lid for my dad so didnt get to the stand till 3:30 and drove within 200 yards of my stand and only dressed in my blue jeans and camo coat - Completely out of order for me but once again I was discouraged as could be . Hammered the horns at 4 oclock for probably over 2 minutes, look to my left and there he is at 60 yards closing FAST. I Set one horn down in the crotch of the tree, try to set the other one on the seat of the stand, it falls off hits the platform and somehow he doesn't hear. Grab the bow, have about 5 seconds to decide if he is a shooter or not as he is going out of my shooting lane, decide with the luck Im having time to let er eat. Hit him a little higher than I liked, but he ran off with arrow in him behind the shoulder.

Backed out for an hour and went looking, found some blood and bright dripping red blood arrow tipped with a rage hypodermic. Tracked him for about 150 yards then the blood went to pin drops, literally took us 30 minutes to cover 60 yards. Didnt quite understand how I thought a double lunged deer wasnt bleeding at all...Decided enough was enough threw down my harness mood back in the shitter and backed out for the night.

Came back in the morning couldnt find blood anywhere! Looked for another hour with help and things were looking grim , decided to just take off walking and there he layed 100 yards from the last blood we found, unfortunately the coyotes found him first , we did end up salvaging some meat however in the quarters and back strap. I ended up hitting him and chipping a piece of the shoulder blade out, I assume the shoulder blade was covering back up the wound hole.

Thanks for everyone that shares their stories on here, makes the work day go by quicker. Also thanks for those that kept pestering me to get out there.
IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats man!! Always Expect the unexpected!! Looks like you have some coyotes to thin out now!!!

It's funny how it works like this sometimes, you go out because you know this is the time but you have zero expectations and bang it happens. Congrats!

Way to persevere and knock down a great buck! Not quitting kills more deer than anything in hunting, I always have to tell myself that my whole season can change in 5 seconds. Congrats!

Top Bottom