Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad Outfitter Experience

Hoffman

Just a FYI to anyone wanting to bear hunt in Minnesota.
Buddy bought a hunt at a Pheasants Forever auction. I tagged along. Driftwood Lodge and Resort in Kabatogama, MN. They commonly donate to whitetail unlimited, rmef, NRA, etc.
I strongly suggest you do not buy and talk the organization out of selling.
First time hunting with an outfitter, was very unimpressed with the job they did. After most of the week wasted we decided to go talk to a different outfitter. Learned more in hour talking to him then 5 days with other place.
I suggest to anyone looking at outfitters, do lots of research, talk to locals. It's better than wasting lots of money. And secondly do not buy from Driftwood lodge. If you want to go to that area I recommend Frank House.

Just a FYI to anyone wanting to bear hunt in Minnesota.
Buddy bought a hunt at a Pheasants Forever auction. I tagged along. Driftwood Lodge and Resort in Kabatogama, MN. They commonly donate to whitetail unlimited, rmef, NRA, etc.
I strongly suggest you do not buy and talk the organization out of selling.
First time hunting with an outfitter, was very unimpressed with the job they did. After most of the week wasted we decided to go talk to a different outfitter. Learned more in hour talking to him then 5 days with other place.
I suggest to anyone looking at outfitters, do lots of research, talk to locals. It's better than wasting lots of money. And secondly do not buy from Driftwood lodge. If you want to go to that area I recommend Frank House.
We did a fishing trip there a few years back and that was a bust also.

Overheard them say no active bait sites, wouldn't let 1 hunter have his buddy film(stated dnr would pull outfitter license, guy called dnr next day. Left camp that afternoon. We were told bears are used to routine, after day 2 they baited early and we were on our own. Had to spray down with code blue silver scent zyme. Later find out he worked/works for them. Said no trail cams, put one up on day 4, no bears but yet claimed was tore up. No heat in cabin one day. Not once asked if anything could be better. All communication via text, never talked to in person even if 500 yards away.
After taking to Frank House, who used to guide and own half of place years ago. Learned by day 4 of season your down to 25% chance. That's why all outfitters only hunt first week, not our guy. Needed people in the cabin I guess.

Our chapter has sold 2 trips up there and the guys claimed to be happy. Both said that they would like to do it again. Maybe it was the timing, I don't know. PF has been selling the trips for at least 5 yrs now and I've never heard anything negative. I will ask my District Rep and the person in charge of the trips what their feedback has been.

On a side note, if things happened as you say, I'd be disappointed also.

Timing is part of it as we were there the second week and according to other outfitter after day 4 of season, your at a 25% chance. I get that hunting has its hits/ misses and shame on us for not researching that you want to hunt opening week, but the way it sounds they are the only outfitter to hunt second week, so they fill the cabins.
The simple fact they didn't care after you arrived. My stand was hung for a right handed archery shooter, I'm left. I ended up moving stand a bit but wasn't comfortable. If I was running an outfitter I would be stopping at cabins daily to see how I could make things better. All that was received was a text.
Maybe it's all outfitters, but I expected a little personal interaction, ( you know so you come back)

Top Bottom