Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bale blind

Bryan95

Has anyone on here made a hay bale blind before? I don't want to pay a bunch of money for one so I'm looking at making one and they don't look too difficult to make. Just looking for ideas and experience and what they use for the hay material in the outside. I feel like using real hay wouldn't last very long.

One thing you might not find in the searches or maybe it's common knowledge :) Get the double layered erosion matting, not the single. If you think you can just double up the single...for some reason it just doesn't add up to the double layered. The single layer loses a TON of material and you'll end up spending more in the end. Double layer might be harder to get, I got mine on the north side of see no ones, maybe Johnston, from landscaping place...cant recall the name.

One of my wife's cousins just made one this year and it looks really good! Plywood floor, plywood sides and cattle panel making the circle. Once he had the shell built, he covered the cattle panel with a black plastic of some sort, not exactly sure what he used. Then he laid out your typical bale netting, covered it in hay and then rolled the bale blind over it, attaching the netting as they went. He said it really worked slick. I think I'll be making one or maybe two next year. I have at least one spot that it would work really well.

If you could find someone with the wrap they use on houses would be better because the stuff keeps the water and wind out and will breath compared to plastic. I've seen people use a tarp but after awhile a tarp will let water through.

I have never seen the erosion mats before so I'll have to look around for those! I was thinking of using some sort of tarp over the cattle panel to have it keep some water out. I had seen an idea of using pallets I believe for the bottom and thought that wasn't a bad idea also since it would be easy to move

Top Bottom