Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bare bow

bpul2113

Does anyone on this forum shoot a compound bow without absolutely no attachments, no sights, no quiver, no stabilizer, no string leeches, just a straight up no accessories bow?

Does anyone on this forum shoot a compound bow without absolutely no attachments, no sights, no quiver, no stabilizer, no string leeches, just a straight up no accessories bow?
I'm guessing that guy from WI is hoping somebody does so they can back him up!

My dad shot a compound w/ nothing on it. Not even an arrow rest. He shot off of the shelf. He was good to 30 yds. But he was never looking at what he was shooting at. I never understood how he did it.

Then he shot my bow w/ everything on it. He liked it better.

My dad says back when they started in the late 80s with compounds they all shot without sights. Claims they werent too bad without them but not really all that great either. Deer did die though.

I used to. You can get really good at instinctive shooting. But who knows I also hold my wrist release with the trigger towards my face.

My dad shot a compound w/ nothing on it. Not even an arrow rest. He shot off of the shelf. He was good to 30 yds. But he was never looking at what he was shooting at. I never understood how he did it.

Then he shot my bow w/ everything on it. He liked it better.

I am old enough to remember a few different people I knew that either used nothing whatsoever on their bow OR a very crude rest and maybe a match stick taped to the handle as their sight.

Todays whippersnappers wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have their bows all tricked out with high tech gear. :D

I started out in the 80s with a plain compound. I had such a long draw that my arrows were 35 inches. No OverDraws yet. No 80% letoff. By the time my arrow reached the deer it hardly penetrated. Difficult to kill one that way.

I did for many years, compound, recurve, long bow, and was extremely accurate out to 35 yards no problem. Shot a summer league for a few years up to 60 yards, there where not many bare bow guys even in the early 90's. Couldn't hit the target now since it's been so long shooting sights.

The art of instinctive shooting takes daily practice and focus. I never "aimed" per say, just stared at what ever I was zeroing in on and it was there. Target panic made me try sights and a release, never went back but could with practice. Spoiled now I guess.

I know a guy from my hometown that is in his late 70's that has never had a bow with a sight on it. He shot a recurve until he turned 65. He's shooting a 50 pound mathews outback or switchback now. He did end up putting a whisker buscuit in it though.
Shoots fingers and all instinctive, he has put some serious deer on the wall just in the last 5-7 years. He's probobly forgot more about big bucks than most people know.

Top Bottom