Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Base Layers

Rauk42

Looking at getting new bases layers after last year freezing my tail off. Right now I've got under armour, not for sure what model I know they are like 4 years old. Just looking for everyones input on what you use and like. Thanks guys!!!

I just got Minus33 merino wool top and bottom, the heaviest weight they make. I have not worn them yet but have heard good things.

Anything Merino wool. Usually pricey but if you look around you might find some deals. If it's a base layer it doesn't have to be camo but I like to where my top all by itself when warm.

Anything Merino wool. Usually pricey but if you look around you might find some deals. If it's a base layer it doesn't have to be camo but I like to where my top all by itself when warm.

X2
First Lite is one of the best I've found.

I have the Sitka heavyweight core too and bottom...I can't say it's better than anything else just yet but I will say it seems like darn nice stuff

It's a waterfowl company but look at the Banded's Base Layer. Very interesting pieces. Prima loft fused garnets.

Any thing Merino Wool next to the skin. There are many brands to choose from you can't go wrong with any of them. Then get another layer of insulation and you will be good to go. I use Sitka. The Mernio wool is wonderful if you start to sweat and after a while your skin will be dry.

Another vote for Merino wool. I went so far as to even purchase a Merino wool neck gaiter. You can breath through it, which is much better than the synthetic stuff.

I've been asked not to wear my UA base layers at deer camp anymore. My reply is if you guys don't like it don't look or chip in and buy me something less form fitting.

I've been looking at SmartWool because I had several pairs of SmartWool socks that were incredible. I literally wore them until they fell off my feet. Looks like another foray into the jungle also known as Amazon.com. Well, maybe for next year. This year I still have appetites to kill.

Another vote for Merino wool. I went so far as to even purchase a Merino wool neck gaiter. You can breath through it, which is much better than the synthetic stuff.

This. I have first lite merino base layers and they have made a world of difference from the old UA crap I had before. I also have a merino neck gaitor that is one of my favorite things to have with me in the field.

Merino hands down. I have first lite, Sitka, core 4 and smartwool. All work extremely well and don't stink after wearing a few days. I got the smartwool from Sierra trading post. They have some good deals if you watch closely and sign up for emails.

I've been asked not to wear my UA base layers at deer camp anymore. My reply is if you guys don't like it don't look or chip in and buy me something less form fitting.

I've been looking at SmartWool because I had several pairs of SmartWool socks that were incredible. I literally wore them until they fell off my feet.

Bingo. I caved and bought a couple of UA layers. Neither have helped me have 6 pack abs like in the pictures. Even with the loose fit.:D Another vote for smartwool socks.

I've been asked not to wear my UA base layers at deer camp anymore. My reply is if you guys don't like it don't look or chip in and buy me something less form fitting. I've been looking at SmartWool because I had several pairs of SmartWool socks that were incredible. I literally wore them until they fell off my feet. Looks like another foray into the jungle also known as Amazon.com. Well, maybe for next year. This year I still have appetites to kill.

You will like the smart wool bonker. I have a tops and bottoms. They keep you warm in the cold and cool in the warm. They also don't stink after you where them a few times.

Core 4 has a 1/4 zip I have been eyeing or first lite has a llano lightweight crew. Looking for a bottom base layer to walk in with. Any thoughts on how heavy to buy for the walk in, first layer?

Last edited:
Top Bottom