Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Be careful

tagged out

With the warm weather yesterday I finally got out fishing after work. Started out a little slow but then picked up a bit. The first fish was a 16-17" smallmouth. Then 7 smaller but all 10 or above. Then to my surprise I hooked a 22-23" brown trout. I was using my ultra light 5' rod so you can imagine how fun that was. Saw a few snappers warming up in the sun also. Have some self pics I will put up later. One spot I walked was 2+ miles back off the road and had alot of grass. After getting in my truck and driving down the road a while I felt something on my knuckle. At first glance I thought maybe a spider, no a huge wood tick. Flicked him out the window. Got to another spot and a checked my pants. Found a little deer tick crawling on the back of my pant leg. After I got home and was walking to my door felt crawling on my hand again. Another deer tick. I undressed for a inspection by my wife before showering and......another deer tick under my arm pit! He was just barely attached and a pulled him off and burned him. Question, can you still get sick from a deer tick that quick, or do they have to be on a while? I have never had a deer tick attached I usually feel them first.

Will be fine-while nothing in medicine is 100%-if not over 24hrs will be fine
Also, like a recluse spider bite-the minority carry the disease and transmission is never 100%. If past 24hrs I always take a course of doxycycline but they usually never in that long.

I know this is kinda gross but those ticks will craw to wherever its the warmest according to my Dr. (who is also an avid outdoorsman), which makes even finding them impossible because they're "inside" you. My mom got lyme disease last year while morel hunting and not once found a deer tick on her...just went and saw the Dr. when she started feeling feverish and got on antibiotics right away.

I always like to use this stuff on all of my gear before I hit the woods in the spring... http://www.repel.com/Products-and-Solutions/Campsite/Clothing-Gear.aspx You have to spray your clothes and gear with it, then let it dry...if a tick comes in contact with it at all it will die. You can even wash your clothes a few times and it will still be active. Good stuff.

Good post though, they're nasty little buggers and they can make you really sick.

I found 2 ticks on me this weekend and 1 from last weekend. None were attached, but they were looking for a place to set up shop.

They are definitely still out and about.

I had one crawling up my pant leg while I was checking cameras last week. They are definitely still out and about...unfortunately.

Top Bottom