BEANS!!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by Wi transplant, Aug 30, 2020.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Wi transplant

Wi transplant PMA Member

Thought I would share the nice "suprise" I got yesterday! I finaly went "inside the fence" of my project fencing off 1.5 acres of beans to "save" let grow for late season hunting and i pulled (1) plant out root and all . And when it came up I almost shit! Look at all the beans !!! 162 pods on one plant!!!!!! Dispite having "dust plots" for my other brassica plots this was a very nice suprise!! Just an FYI. I planted them around April 26th and fertilized heavy! Put a big smile on my face!!! Pray for rain for other fall plots!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 It is going to be a good fall!

Looks great!

4. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome year for row crops is some parts of the state. Especially those planted early.. Looks great.

5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Just saw this. Really nice looking! At “162 pods”.... u only beat my beans by about 160 pods!!! Well done & later in year gonna be great!!

Tim Hull likes this.
  6. Wi transplant

Wi transplant PMA Member

Was going to take me e fence down but decided to wait till around 3rd week of Oct? Since my brassicas just germinated this week with last weeks rain. Too make sure I have food for later in the season . Or should I keep fenced even longer? Any thoughts?

7. showstopper

showstopper PMA Member

I would say with the majority of the growing season being done and lack of other food (via plots), that it might be a good idea to open it up to allow the deer to eat on the green leaves. I really don't think they are going to eat the beans down significantly now. I guess it may depend on what feeding pressure they would be exposed to if fence is down too. Hopefully once the leaves start to turn your brassicas will be far enough along to keep your deer in the area also. Just my opinion. I am curious what others think on this as well.

Sligh1 likes this.
  8. IowaBowHunter1983

My 2c is the purpose of the fence is to let the beans grow big and pod out. You've accomplished that. I think I'd open it up.

9. Bucksnbears

Bucksnbears Active Member

Beans look great!
    Gonna be a superb late season plot.

10. Wi transplant

Wi transplant PMA Member

Yes they are full grown and I have fall grains coming in nice ! But my brassicas are only 1in tall right now and just don't want my 1.5 acres of beans wiped out before dec? Worried I won't have a "late season plot" Or will they pretty much leave alone till then ? Leaves are falling off and I overseeded brassicas into half the bean plot before last week's rain .

11. Elvis188

Elvis188 PMA Member

If you keep the beans safe, what is to keep the deer from mowing down your Brassicas now? You might want to open 1/2 or 1/4 of the beans now, that are the furthest from the Brassicas and let them eat on them. They should only be interested in the greens right now anyway and you should still have plenty of beans for late season.

12. IowaBowHunter1983

Just from what ive seen.... will they eat the beans? ..... sure... a little. But there are far more preferred food sources until it gets COLD. Then the beans get hammered.

EatSleepHunt likes this.
  13. Brett Morris

Brett Morris PMA Member

Not to hijack the thread but a similar question. When do you start to knock down standing corn? I've got 5 acres (free seed & a buddy to plant it cheap) on the farm & have never had a grain plot before.

14. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 It is going to be a good fall!

Don't let the deer eat your beans:) as they are now more valuable again over $10 bushel!