Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bedding Cover

Colton Bradley

Does anyone have recommendations on what I should do to increase bedding cover on my property? A lot of the hunting I do is based off of other properties that the deer funnel off of and I would like to change that. I have a few areas of open pasture that I think would be great spots for building cover areas. I was thinking of planting some spruce trees but any help would be appreciated.

Cut down every tree you have. :)

Only half kidding. Get a chainsaw out and hinge every junk tree you can find. Regenerating timber/trees is the best whitetail cover known to man.

From there you can plant native grasses for quicker cover than trees

If you do plant evergreens, I'd plant cedars. Deer will destroy most everything else unless protected

Bushes, trees, grasses.... the choices are only limited by your imagination.

Iowabow is giving you good advice. Also, read through the TSI thread(s) in Dbltree's Corner. A lot of good info there.

I think most would agree...there is little you can do to improve your land more than to "thicken" your timber. But don't go cutting trees willy-nilly until you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Depends on the elevation of your farm also. A lot of mine is low lying with swirling or non existent winds. I believe big bucks like consistent winds where they can see farther. Just my opinion.

The best advice has been said. You can also go with a selective herbicide and spray those open areas to kill the grass off. These areas will start to regenerate with tall weeds and small woody plants.

Top Bottom