Beekeeping

Discussion in 'IW Outdoors' started by kelcher, Feb 16, 2019.

1. bkcrrtnps

bkcrrtnps Well-Known Member

It’s a numbers game and with smaller colonies it takes a long time to get going. If they needed it they would build it plus it’s not good comb building weather. Where did you get it? You really need a frame of capped brood and bees to add to it and you’d see a 180 degree change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. kelcher

kelcher Active Member

Just thought I would check in with you all and see how your bees did this year. Mine finally took off when we hit the really hot weather. I am not going to get any honey from them this year, but they did fill up the two deep boxes. I did not put any honey supers on since they are just now getting comb drawn and everything filled up in the second box.

If they survive this winter they will have a good start for next Spring. If they don't make it then I guess new bees will get a good start for next year. Should get honey next year for sure . . . .

How have you guys winterized your hives to insulate, but provide enough ventilation?

4. bkcrrtnps

Never insulated.....good wind break. I have used moisture control methods ie Mountain Camp, etc. Cold doesn’t kill bees, moisture does. I’ve also used tar paper

5. lunker99

lunker99 Active Member

Still some pollen blooms to go yet this year, so if they're about full I'd give them more space even if you don't plan on harvesting the honey. Otherwise if they get crowded they might swarm on you which won't do you or the new hive any favors this time of year. I haven't insulated in the past and even with a good windbreak have lost some hives. Just saw what they called a hotbox at fleet farm this past week. Looked like a super filled with a courser fiberglass insulation that had screen stapled on each side to keep the bees out. That should breathe and looked easy enough to make if you have an extra super box.

6. bkcrrtnps

Depending on what you’re gonna use to treat mites you need to be getting started on that.