Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

The enforcement won't begin. If so, only on the resource light NRLO who can't put up much of a battle. Again, PM me when you see the NRLO hunting celeb, pro athlete, etc. pinched for skirting the residency requirement. BTW the court has now set a precedent and the state cannot choose the standard on a case by case basis, they do that however when they ignore the celeb NRLO.

I still believe the NRLO standard will change. The state can't ignore a group that controls over 20% of rec ground forever. The same old argument about residents being pushed out is old and not valid. The residents who are affected are non-landowners and must acquire permission from resident or NR landowners. What's the difference? I currently give permission to my resident neighbor to hunt. The old landowner, a resident, would not provide him permission. I would say my purchase was advantageous to my neighbor, no?

One thing that does bother me on this is the fact that the "Celebrities" or Governor's Tags get to hunt each year and don't pay any taxes, yet NR Landowners that do pay taxes can't hunt their own land. I think you will see the day soon that the NR Landowners get to hunt their own ground. I understand the residents not wanting land prices to spike and are afraid of losing hunting property; however, the residents can legally kill multiple bucks during a season, I think the NR Landowners should be allowed one buck per licensed hunter. Will be interesting for sure

The enforcement won't begin. If so, only on the resource light NRLO who can't put up much of a battle.

Aren't LEOs bound to investigate illegal activity? What I mean is if someone were to call and say the Drurys aren't Iowa residents. Don't they have to investigate that?

Or any one else that gets the whistle blown on them for that matter?

The enforcement won't begin. If so, only on the resource light NRLO who can't put up much of a battle. Again, PM me when you see the NRLO hunting celeb, pro athlete, etc. pinched for skirting the residency requirement. BTW the court has now set a precedent and the state cannot choose the standard on a case by case basis, they do that however when they ignore the celeb NRLO.

I still believe the NRLO standard will change. The state can't ignore a group that controls over 20% of rec ground forever. The same old argument about residents being pushed out is old and not valid. The residents who are affected are non-landowners and must acquire permission from resident or NR landowners. What's the difference? I currently give permission to my resident neighbor to hunt. The old landowner, a resident, would not provide him permission. I would say my purchase was advantageous to my neighbor, no?

The DNR already fought the big money and won. They are not afraid to enforce the rules against anyone. The NRLO standard will likely not change now. If there was a chance, it has already passed you by. A LOT of money has been thrown down the drain to change it and all was for nothing. The residents of the state of Iowa are not interested in selling their deer herd to the highest bidders.

I know of THOUSANDS of acres of ground that has been bought by NRLO's. Most of it was open to residents and nonresidents alike for hunting by a knock on a door prior to the sale. ALL of it is now locked up and off limits to all residents. That is more the rule than the exception and one of the main reasons that the regs will be very difficult to ever change.

Its time to accept the fact that landowners will have to be true residents of the state to enjoy the priviledges. You sound like you are still in denial.

One thing that does bother me on this is the fact that the "Celebrities" or Governor's Tags get to hunt each year and don't pay any taxes, yet NR Landowners that do pay taxes can't hunt their own land. I think you will see the day soon that the NR Landowners get to hunt their own ground. I understand the residents not wanting land prices to spike and are afraid of losing hunting property; however, the residents can legally kill multiple bucks during a season, I think the NR Landowners should be allowed one buck per licensed hunter. Will be interesting for sure

I dont think you will see it soon. Maybe never. It's simply not in the best interest of the states residents.

The DNR already fought the big money and won. They are not afraid to enforce the rules against anyone. The NRLO standard will likely not change now. If there was a chance, it has already passed you by. A LOT of money has been thrown down the drain to change it and all was for nothing. The residents of the state of Iowa are not interested in selling their deer herd to the highest bidders.

I know of THOUSANDS of acres of ground that has been bought by NRLO's. Most of it was open to residents and nonresidents alike for hunting by a knock on a door prior to the sale. ALL of it is now locked up and off limits to all residents. That is more the rule than the exception and one of the main reasons that the regs will be very difficult to ever change.

Its time to accept the fact that landowners will have to be true residents of the state to enjoy the priviledges. You sound like you are still in denial.

The IBA is willing to sell a NR license every year to the highest bidder and so are other groups in Iowa. I know lots of residents that think NRLO should be allowed to buy a license to hunt their own property each year.

The IBA is willing to sell a NR license every year to the highest bidder and so are other groups in Iowa. I know lots of residents that think NRLO should be allowed to buy a license to hunt their own property each year.

Better round them up and take it head on, good luck!

Fletch, you're kidding yourself if you think enforcement is equally pursued against any and all. The big money is ignored. Of course you know of millions of acres bought up by NR's. I've owned in Iowa for 11 years and nothing has changed in my neighborhood. A resident owns 1000 acres to my north and east and allows zero hunting for anyone. Another resident neighbor owns 700 acres or so to my west and allows one family member only to hunt. A third resident owns 200 acres to my south and permits NO hunting, and you want to lecture NRLO's about access. Oh, and i forgot to mention the group from Des Moines who lease, yes resident Iowans lease, a small parcel a hop, skip, and jump away who hack and stack everything they can. Look in the mirror.

Last edited:
I've tried staying as open mined as I can because I can see both sides of the argument. Money and privilege go hand and hand always have and always will. It happens everywhere not just in iowa and not just in the hunting field. Is it right? No! Is it fair? No! Everyone should have learned at a young age that life is not fair. Celebrities hunting iowa every year, perfect example. The celebs getting away with it are a drop in a bucket compared to what would happen if they allowed nrlos a buck tag every year. Why should a nrlo get the same perks as a resident? It makes absolutely no sense. Obviously there were holes in the system and the government sewed them up before the problem got any worse. The people involved in this case knew what they were doing and I'm sure the people posting on this site defending them can clearly see they were trying to work the system. You can argue about this till your blue in the face but the bottom line is these guys were not permanent residents. They knew it, you know it, and everyone else knows it. It sucks that non residents that own a lil piece of heaven on our side of the border don't get to shoot a buck every year but I guess that's just the price to pay. Maybe if nrlos spent more time trying to make their state better rather than trying to fix the neighbors, nobody would have nrlo/resident issues. Just a thought.

I've tried staying as open mined as I can because I can see both sides of the argument. Money and privilege go hand and hand always have and always will. It happens everywhere not just in iowa and not just in the hunting field. Is it right? No! Is it fair? No! Everyone should have learned at a young age that life is not fair. Celebrities hunting iowa every year, perfect example. The celebs getting away with it are a drop in a bucket compared to what would happen if they allowed nrlos a buck tag every year. Why should a nrlo get the same perks as a resident? It makes absolutely no sense. Obviously there were holes in the system and the government sewed them up before the problem got any worse. The people involved in this case knew what they were doing and I'm sure the people posting on this site defending them can clearly see they were trying to work the system. You can argue about this till your blue in the face but the bottom line is these guys were not permanent residents. They knew it, you know it, and everyone else knows it. It sucks that non residents that own a lil piece of heaven on our side of the border don't get to shoot a buck every year but I guess that's just the price to pay. Maybe if nrlos spent more time trying to make their state better rather than trying to fix the neighbors, nobody would have nrlo/resident issues. Just a thought.

Fair would be three buck tags a NRLO just as any any resident. 1 tag compared to 3 isn't exactly equal.....

Fletch, you're kidding yourself if you think enforcement is equally pursued against any and all. The big money is ignored. Of course you know of millions of acres bought up by NR's. I've owned in Iowa for 11 years and nothing has changed in my neighborhood. A resident owns 1000 acres to my north and east and allows zero hunting for anyone. Another resident neighbor owns 700 acres or so to my west and allows one family member only to hunt. A third resident owns 200 acres to my south and permits NO hunting, and you want to lecture NRLO's about access. Oh, and i forgot to mention the group from Des Moines who lease, yes resident Iowans lease, a small parcel a hop, skip, and jump away who hack and stack everything they can. Look in the mirror.

No wonder you are crapping your pants to get a tag every year. Sounds like a great spot to grow some deer. Might be worth moving here. Because that's what it's going to take to change your odds.

Well then, get out your checkbook and enjoy hunting your own farm every year. Seems like the answer to all your prayers have been answered.

There are also plenty of residents that voted for Obama. Doesn't mean they have a clue as to what the consequences were going to be. Zing!!!

You keep pitchin' em'.....and I'll keep hittin' them out of the park. Try something overhand next time. These underhand lobs are just too darn easy.

Like I said previously, Fletch, you don't own squat. And before you go wasting your breath about all the land you manage and own, attach a deed or two. I call BS. You are just another non-landowning loudmouth. All the time you spend on this computer, why don't you get a second job, save some cash and maybe you can afford a place of your own. You could at least lease up some good ground. If you think this Supreme Court ruling is going to change anything, you got another thing coming. They just created a residency road map for anyone to follow.

Fletch, you should be a politician you are one of the best spin doctors I've encountered here. Keep spinning, ignore the facts, keep spinning. Eventually you find yourself dizzy and on your hind end.

BTW, I'm not crapping my pants to hunt because according to resident talking points regarding posted NR land all the non-hunting on this resident locked land has created a sanctuary causing herd imbalance, breeding inconsistencies and disease. Something must change!

Last edited:
Man from what I gather here is that many residents hate nrlo ??? I will tell you this is that some of the best places I know of for deer are owned by nrlo and not even americans. They live in europe and came to the america bought land and created unrivaled giant buck meccas.

All the while the resident land owners close by have no respect for their land as they inherited it. They break every law I can imagine and when you tell le they laugh as they are just good ole boys havin fun.

Top Bottom