Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Look just sell and go to illinois already. I will for a fee put you on the X. I know some areas there that inch for inch are better than any place I have ever seen in iowa kansas or ohio. Get 40ac get your tag. I know someone that killed booner number 2 just a few weeks ago on a small farm and he gets a tag. The nr thing is an entire waste of time.

Look just sell and go to illinois already. I will for a fee put you on the X. I know some areas there that inch for inch are better than any place I have ever seen in iowa kansas or ohio. Get 40ac get your tag. I know someone that killed booner number 2 just a few weeks ago on a small farm and he gets a tag. The nr thing is an entire waste of time.
Yes it is.

I've hunted in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wyoming. Never once have I tried to change their NR regulations.

I've looked at buying land in other states. The things I looked at were: taxes and can I get a tag. If the "prime" states for the game species I was interested in (elk) didn't favor me, I dropped them from the list rather than buying and hoping I could change things.

I'll probably wind up buying and moving to one of those states, thus becoming a resident. :way:

Read the court documents, these guys did everything they could to make it appear they were residents. Iowa DL's, utility bills, etc. The courts did a good job of researching and seeing through the sham. They were actually getting resident tags and got shut off. That was the basis for the lawsuit, when their residency was verified, they cried foul.

Last edited:
I know all three of these men personally and professionally.They are classic conservationists. The hunting has actually become secondary to the passion for land and deer management. I do not think this will change their goals or their long term plans. Their land won't be for sale or dozed and cleared in the common scam to collect crop insurance. If these fellows would sell now and leave, they would all be very wealthy. It is time for these guys to accept iowa for what it is and what it isnt, 1 not a place to bow hunt with a 3 year wait and all that hassle . 2 not a place that is open to change . 3 a place that is changing,if things don't change in the management of the population ,today may prove the best time to sell out in which case this ruling maybe doing them a favor. 4. A state where logic doesn't dictate management ie. can't bow hunt your own farm but can shoot as many bucks as you can arrange people to party hunt with.

I know all three of these men personally and professionally.They are classic conservationists. The hunting has actually become secondary to the passion for land and deer management. I do not think this will change their goals or their long term plans. Their land won't be for sale or dozed and cleared in the common scam to collect crop insurance. If these fellows would sell now and leave, they would all be very wealthy. It is time for these guys to accept iowa for what it is and what it isnt, 1 not a place to bow hunt with a 3 year wait and all that hassle . 2 not a place that is open to change . 3 a place that is changing,if things don't change in the management of the population ,today may prove the best time to sell out in which case this ruling maybe doing them a favor. 4. A state where logic doesn't dictate management ie. can't bow hunt your own farm but can shoot as many bucks as you can arrange people to party hunt with.

If hunting really was second this never would have been an issue because their real passion would have been land and deer management. No need for court intervention to dig water holes or provide habitat improvements to your property.
1) I, as a RESIDENT think its a wonderful place to bow hunt every year, with no hassles. I don't even own property to hunt, its all public.
2) We just changed the regs to allow deer hunting with a rifle in southern counties.
3) are those lyrics to a country song? Seriously though, our statewide deer population is what is BECAUSE of Iowa's management practices,
4) Correction. We can shoot as many bucks as we have tags for.

Tell your friends thank you for their efforts in helping to improve the quality of deer here in Iowa. We residents appreciate it!

Didn't you just post that you need 25-30 does shot off your property? But you ok with a NR getting one or zero tags per year. Explain

I sure did. And my local buddies and my family and I will have a great time taking care of them. The reason I was able to buy hunting farms is because the nonresidents were not allowed to come in and run wild. Our resources were protected for those that want to live and work here. Seems fair. I would not be allowed a bighorn sheep tag on ground I own in Colorado. hmmm...maybe I should buy ground there and then sue those fools! ;)

Yes, I am more than fine with nonresidents continuing to be held to the same rules that were in place long before they bought ground. Money cant always buy you happiness I guess. Unless ofcourse, you LIVE in Iowa and own ground. It has made me pretty happy.

Some of you sound like a 12 year old that just got beat by grandma in a game of checkers. lol I guess it hurts when a state like Iowa has the ability to stand up for what is right and not cave in to big money. Now, we can all get back to checking up on those pesky nonresidents that claim to be residents and hunt every year. Cheating the system is now their only hope.

This is NOT taking a side in this debate BUT - how can anyone say they "can't hunt their own land"??? I mean, you can buy yearly gun tags, small game hunt, turkey hunt, etc, etc. I am seriously not voicing a side in the NR debate but I can't understand how this argument came to be with the fact that you CAN hunt your own land every year in many fashions. May not be the season you like or weapon you want or whatever but you can do this already.

If you read the article you will see in black and white that the DNR owns and regulates all wildlife.....

They have the right to stop any land owner living in or out of state from obtaining a resident license.

If they are deemed non-resident then the same land owner rules have been altered. Since the DNR regulates the amount of tags available to Non-Resident then that also applies to land owner permits and tags.

There primary residence is in another state.

Although on the surface everyone here seems to like this ruling it scares me to death! A court telling you what you can and can't do on your land. When they come and tell "residents" they don't have the right to hunt their land then what? Where does it end. What if the court decides everything you do on "your" land is NOt a right? Amazes me they can DEMAND you pay them taxes though.

We as permanent residents of Iowa have to protect what we pay for. If we allowed everyone in all other states to buy land just to obtain resident status for hunting purposes we would have a major impact to an already declining population of whitetail,pheasants,etc....

I stand by what the DNR has accomplished here.

Wow great job iowa

You just saved us from someone buying a piece of ground and then hunting it. Yes, i can see how great of a job you did iowa. Lets keep people from investing hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, into a resource that is renewable, but where you cant harvest that renewable resource.

As a american, i truly believe that if i own the land, pay federal taxes on the land, pay state taxes, contribute to the health and well being of the state, i should be allowed to harvest at least one deer on these lands per year. You want to use the big money argument, then lets do away with governors tags.

Put yourself in the landowners position. Who cares how or why they can afford this grouNd. They can. Does that preclude someone froM HUNTING THEIR OWN GROUND.

Last edited:
Slayer if I'm not mistaken there is a thread going urging shotgunners not to shoot does because the DNR is allegedly depleting the deer resource. Folks who care about the resource more than most is resident and nr landowners. I think the last stat was better than 20% of Iowa rec land is owned by nr's. The DNR and Iowa resident hunters should consider them as their voice is becoming significant.

Slayer if I'm not mistaken there is a thread going urging shotgunners not to shoot does because the DNR is allegedly depleting the deer resource. Folks who care about the resource more than most is resident and nr landowners. I think the last stat was better than 20% of Iowa rec land is owned by nr's. The DNR and Iowa resident hunters should consider them as their voice is becoming significant.

The DNR is not depleting the deer resource. We hunters are and was the reason for that thread. The DNR recommended eliminating the doe tags in some counties, the Gov vetoed the thought. The DNR did successfully reduce the number or doe tags in several counties. The DNR is trying to manage the deer resource, but has a big government hurdle in the way.

You just saved us from someone buying a piece of ground and then hunting it. Yes, i can see how great of a job you did iowa. Lets keep people from investing hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, into a resource that is renewable, but where you cant harvest that renewable resource.

As a american, i truly believe that if i own the land, pay federal taxes on the land, pay state taxes, contribute to the health and well being of the state, i should be allowed to harvest at least one deer on these lands per year. You want to use the big money argument, then lets do away with governors tags.

Put yourself in the landowners position. Who cares how or why they can afford this grouNd. They can. Does that preclude someone froM HUNTING THEIR OWN GROUND.

The law does not stop anyone from investing into the resource.

Taxes? Federal income tax? How would that entitle anyone to hunt a resource that is owned by the state (the people of the state)? Even as a resident, I am not entitled to it.

I, for one, do not have one issue with how anyone can afford to buy anything, including their own ground. All of us want to get their, somehow, someday. Their wealth does not preclude them from hunting their own ground. As a matter of fact, speaking for the NR landowner, it entitles them to options that other NR hunters do not get.

The fact is, they shouldn't be ignorant to the laws that have already been in place.. Don't like the laws? Don't buy land here! So, yes! That does preclude someone from being able to buy a buck tag every year.. They already knew they couldn't do it, so stop b@$!##&! about it!

The fact is, they shouldn't be ignorant to the laws that have already been in place.. Don't like the laws? They already knew they couldn't do it, so stop b@$!##&! about it!
Obamacare is now in place and you, me and everyone else had better not stop b@$##&! about it.

Top Bottom