Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Ok Team Pewp---You are critical of my post (wording) are you an English teacher? You could at least use a paragraph if you are going to be the site English professor.

Whatever, I see you caught a trout, was that in Iowa or did you happen to leave your state and get a NR license allowing you to harvest a fish or animal. If you did, do you feel guilty?

Im not trying to be the grammar police at all. read you last post. It was hard to follow. Period!

WTF are you talking about? feel guilty about what? for catching a fish? If you must know, it was in Iowa and was caught on private property where public access is allowed. How is that relevant to this discussion?

Yes that is what I meant, and if you are a felon, you probably cannot get a license?

And if you are not a resident, you have to follow the same laws that all NR have to follow, which includes having to apply for tags and be in the NR lottery. What is wrong with that? Oh, that's right, because you have the $ to buy land in another state you deserve preferential treatment.

Hunting land prices are at an all-time high now boys. Some of you might want to consider cashing out and buying in states that dont care so much for their resources. Then you could spend your time and money hunting instead of whining.

+ 1

I would love to purchase some land after the prices correct.

Im not trying to be the grammar police at all. read you last post. It was hard to follow. Period!

WTF are you talking about? feel guilty about what? for catching a fish? If you must know, it was in Iowa and was caught on private property where public access is allowed. How is that relevant to this discussion?

I kind of figured, it's hard to follow if you don't know national or worldwide issues, and you still think my argument is about NR tags. Do you ever follow politics? As Thinking Rut is trying to tell you---this court's written ruling is not good for you (R) or for me (the NR).

My point on the fish, is do you leave the state? Are you ever a NR? If you are a NR, remember the opportunity you were given to hunt or fish another state!!

I kind of figured, it's hard to follow if you don't know national or worldwide issues, and you still think my argument is about NR tags. Do you ever follow politics? As Thinking Rut is trying to tell you---this court's written ruling is not good for you (R) or for me (the NR).

My point on the fish, is do you leave the state? Are you ever a NR? If you are a NR, remember the opportunity you were given to hunt or fish another state!!

I am aware of national and worldwide issues. Your argument should not be about NR tags but about who is considered a resident of Iowa and who is not.

You and Thinking Rut can tell any one who will listen that this court ruling is not good for them. But saying something repeatedly, using different words, does not make it a fact.

This ruling is good for Iowans and for NR both. How quickly do you think private land would be bought up if the law were changed to allow NR landowners to purchase any-sex deer tags every year? Where would that leave all the NR-non land owners? Not to mention all of the resident non-landowners. I see things going down hill really fast after that happens

I am aware of national and worldwide issues. Your argument should not be about NR tags but about who is considered a resident of Iowa and who is not.

You and Thinking Rut can tell any one who will listen that this court ruling is not good for them. But saying something repeatedly, using different words, does not make it a fact.

This ruling is good for Iowans and for NR both. How quickly do you think private land would be bought up if the law were changed to allow NR landowners to purchase any-sex deer tags every year? Where would that leave all the NR-non land owners? Not to mention all of the resident non-landowners. I see things going down hill really fast after that happens

It's all an interpretation correct? Nothing is fact in this ruling, like Hans1 said these guys may be hunting as residents in 2014...? I could be a resident in the future, could move to Iowa and get 3buck tags. That's a real possibility?

Last edited:
Yes, you could move to Iowa but then you may have to eat your words when you start defending Iowa residents against NR hunters!

C'mon, move to Iowa, you'll love it!

Yes, you could move to Iowa but then you may have to eat your words when you start defending Iowa residents against NR hunters!

C'mon, move to Iowa, you'll love it!

When the kids are out of school, it's very possible, but I'm keeping my lake cabin in MN...:D you don't have the fishing we do.

It was hard to follow because of how you wrote it, not because of the content. I'm well aware of national news, politics, etc.

The court says Iowa lawmakers have developed an extensive statutory scheme that results in the conclusion "that landownership in Iowa is not accompanied by the right to hunt on one's own land."

How is this bad for me? I may own land but I don't own the wildlife, therefor I am not guaranteed the right to hunt my land just because I own it. Iowa wildlife is owned by the public, therefor I have to follow Iowa laws even on my own land. I guess I'm not seeing a doomsday scenario like you guys are envisioning, where the evil anti hunter politicians are going to come in and abolish hunting or bring sharp shooters on your land to regulate the deer heard that resides there. The law is not written that way just so the DNR can bully landowners. It is written that way to give the DNR the ability protect and regulate our wildlife.

I have fished as a NR many times and I never once bitched about the rules, regulations and fees that another state asked me to follow and I sure as hell never lobbied to get them changed! NR are not being denied the right to hunt in Iowa, so no, I do not see what point you are trying to make. All that law says is "owning land is not accompanied with the right to hunt." They are two separate things and owning land does not give you special rights with public wildlife. I have no issue with that. Maybe I am being naive but I don't see the government using this ruling to start strong arming landowners. Pretty sure "eminent domain" already gives them that ability anyway!

Interpret this ruling anyway you choose. We can agree to disagree but as a resident of Iowa, who hopes to buy my own acreage some day, this was a good ruling IMO. I do not want NR landowners getting preferential treatment over any other NR hunter. I hope that Iowa lawmakers continue to protect the residents of Iowa and our resources. If I buy land and then move away from Iowa, the NR hunting laws are something I will accept and deal with.

When the kids are out of school, it's very possible, but I'm keeping my lake cabin in MN...:D you don't have the fishing we do.

Please do move here! Pay Iowa state income tax and contribute to our economy on a regular basis, then we will have no problem with you getting three anysex tags just like all other resident landowners!

I wouldn't sell your cabin if I were you either!
Owns cabin on a lake in MN and owns acreage in Iowa = Hardwood's life doesn't suck:way: I hope to be in a similar position some day!

Please do move here! Pay Iowa state income tax and contribute to our economy on a regular basis, then we will have no problem with you getting three anysex tags just like all other resident landowners!

I wouldn't sell your cabin if I were you either!
Owns cabin on a lake in MN and owns acreage in Iowa = Hardwood's life doesn't suck:way: I hope to be in a similar position some day!

Absolutely not--- no my life doesn't suck---yeah I think if you look back at all my posts, I'm very complimentary of Iowa in general. Also, I have never called a politician or anyone with authority to lobby for change.... (except last year I called an IBA member for their stance and position on youth tags).

No state has the perfect mix of rules and regulations! One issue that continues to come up is NR landowner tags. I'd love to see more doe tags available (any weapon...youth), or maybe you give a landowner with 40 acres +1 preference point every year?

Ok I'll shut up for now!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this statement is incorrect.

Nope. I called the Wallace building today before I hit the submit button.
But thanks for offering your opinion! :moon:

The person I spoke to said specifically if you are a felon you need to check with your court order before attempting to purchase muzzleloader. But as I stated earlier, unless you have broken DNR regs, you can still buy a hunting license. Because you are a felon, that precludes you from hunting with a firearm. That leaves archery.

Last edited:
Crazy the lengths these guys went trough to try and be residents just for yearly deer tags. I love hunting but what they were doing just seems crazy to me.

I would bet they were well funded. It would be interesting to see who paid their legal fees.

Nope. I called the Wallace building today before I hit the submit button.
But thanks for offering your opinion! :moon:

The person I spoke to said specifically if you are a felon you need to check with your court order before attempting to purchase muzzleloader. But as I stated earlier, unless you have broken DNR regs, you can still buy a hunting license. Because you are a felon, that precludes you from hunting with a firearm. That leaves archery.
I'm pretty sure that you can buy a late muzzy tag and fill it with a bow.That tag is not for archery only.

This again shows how little was explained in the article about the ruling. These guys were paying iowa income taxes. I also know they contribute more to the iowa ecomony than most average residents . One of these guys was called for and served for jury duty. The whole decision was based on how much time was spent here consecutively.This ruling will have far reaching effects on many others who spend the winters in other areas and are not here 6 full months before buying their license each year.

This again shows how little was explained in the article about the ruling. These guys were paying iowa income taxes. I also know they contribute more to the iowa ecomony than most average residents . One of these guys was called for and served for jury duty. The whole decision was based on how much time was spent here consecutively.This ruling will have far reaching effects on many others who spend the winters in other areas and are not here 6 full months before buying their license each year.

You seem to "know" the specifics of this case. Would you care to share court docs or the like to substantiate your statements?
I would also ask whether that person paid state taxes in another state as well?

I'm also curious about your "contributing more to the Iowa economy" statement. How do they do that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom