Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Back Pack SPRAYER?? STIHL?

Got 1 Stihl and I'm getting another listed earlier- a different one. Then I'll evaluate both. I haven't used Stihl yet but will in spring and probably get my other choice in next couple months.

Hey guys- way old thread. Anyone ever get a backpack sprayer that doesn't spill liquids all down your back???
Since this thread I've tossed any solo sprayer I owned. Gone. Junk. But- I have Stihls and Birchmeir's and both soak my back. So tired of it. I suspect most the leaking is actually out the cap. If u tip one over that's filled, both leak all over. So tired of getting back wet no matter how careful I am. (Even if wear tyvek suit- don't want sprayers that leak). Anyone has one that simply doesn't leak????

I have 4 Stanley's from Menards that don't seem to leak. One for roundup, one 2,4-d or milestone, one for cleth, one for 2-4dB. I don't like emptying them out so I just keep one for each of the main chemicals I use. They are $50 sprayers. Happy with them for the most part. The oldest is on year 4 without fail... Yet. Might be worth trying one to see if you like. I assume they still sell them although I haven't bought one in 2 years now.

I have 4 Stanley's from Menards that don't seem to leak. One for roundup, one 2,4-d or milestone, one for cleth, one for 2-4dB. I don't like emptying them out so I just keep one for each of the main chemicals I use. They are $50 sprayers. Happy with them for the most part. The oldest is on year 4 without fail... Yet. Might be worth trying one to see if you like. I assume they still sell them although I haven't bought one in 2 years now.
I'll give em a shot. I do same thing as u..... one for apple & pear tree spray, weed killer, etc, etc. Pry have 8 or 9. The worst sprayer I ever bought.... stihl launched a new model about 2 years ago. I bought 2. So bad. Cheap junk. They immediately discontinued them and brought back original (which is OK) sg-20 or whatever. (Still leaks but doesn't break like their cheap one). I didn't return either- I got so sick of both- I through them both in my burn pit. ;).
For fun, I just ordered a SeaFlo lithium sprayer. Just wanna see how it works. But- I'll grab a Stanley and give it a go as well. Thx!!

My Stihl leaks all down my back also I love when it makes it past my belt !! Ugh ....

• Deleted by Rutcon
Show…
Hey guys- way old thread. Anyone ever get a backpack sprayer that doesn't spill liquids all down your back???
Since this thread I've tossed any solo sprayer I owned. Gone. Junk. But- I have Stihls and Birchmeir's and both soak my back. So tired of it. I suspect most the leaking is actually out the cap. If u tip one over that's filled, both leak all over. So tired of getting back wet no matter how careful I am. (Even if wear tyvek suit- don't want sprayers that leak). Anyone has one that simply doesn't leak????
Chapin 63985 20 volt lithium purchased last spring. Been working flawlessly. Almost 2 hrs run time. Get an extra battery, 500 trees no problem. BTW Skip, lithium EV has been working well for 2 months so far.

I have a yard King, Probably NOT top of the line but read good reviews. I have been using it this spring on trees NO complaints yet. NO leaks.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned HARDI sprayers.. I am far from n expert, but they are top notch sprayers.. my dad has had one for yrs with no issues!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned HARDI sprayers.. I am far from n expert, but they are top notch sprayers.. my dad has had one for yrs with no issues!

I have a 1000 gallon hardi with a hydraulic pump and it's 60' booms. I tried putting on my back but a bit heavy when full. ;).
Seriously though- I had no idea they made backpack sprayers?!?! If they keep the same quality as my AG sprayer- absolutely I'm in. I'm looking into that for sure as they make really nice stuff that's heavy duty for Ag equipment.

**bingo. I think the price is why it's not mentioned but for all the crap I've seen for sprayers- could care less. I'm in!!!!
http://www.hardisprayer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=172

I'll give em a shot. I do same thing as u..... one for apple & pear tree spray, weed killer, etc, etc. Pry have 8 or 9. The worst sprayer I ever bought.... stihl launched a new model about 2 years ago. I bought 2. So bad. Cheap junk. They immediately discontinued them and brought back original (which is OK) sg-20 or whatever. (Still leaks but doesn't break like their cheap one). I didn't return either- I got so sick of both- I through them both in my burn pit. ;).
For fun, I just ordered a SeaFlo lithium sprayer. Just wanna see how it works. But- I'll grab a Stanley and give it a go as well. Thx!!

Gee I had the unfortunate timing of getting in on the new model Stihl SG 71, even though I told the dealer I wanted the more well built, older model. I wonder if the company would give me good coupon to upgrade back to the old SG 20 since they basically have made it clear they shouldn't have sold the 71 to begin with.

Tell u what.... I ran that seaflo sprayer I bought. Battery powered. I ran about 6-8 fills through it (still going strong - would go hours) and that thing was super impressive!! No pumping, battery goes longer than I could ever need, solid spraying, so far I don't think I noticed leaks. Now, long term- that's the bigger challenge. But- man, 1st impressions on that seaflo are really solid! Not really any more $ than many other mid ranged prices brands.

Right now I that seaflo, have stihl sg-20's, birchmeier or whatever they called, solos (ok- think I tossed my last one) & maybe another model or 2 as back up - all in comparison. I'd like to try the hardi sprayer too at some point. Long term as I become more of an old lazy bum, I pry will do a lot more with the hand gun sprayer on utv tank sprayer. I'm at the volume
Of spraying That I really need to use utv for main spraying but for now grabbing backpack is still handy.

Sorry u got stuck with crappy Stihl sprayer!! I made same mistake. 2 of em. At the end of 2 days of use- I had "replacement parts" ordered for both. Fast forward about a month or 2 & headaches of returning them- both ended up in my burn pit. Ha!

Last edited:
This right here - so far so good!!!! Really liking this sprayer and by far not the most expensive. Hope it keeps impressing me, really pleased!!! This exact model!!!
ad8c2e1eacd0bb2014c3c1dd5a04caf3.jpg

I used a backpack sprayer for the first time last fall and I'll never go back to hand held. I used a Stihl, not sure of the model, to do some cut stumps. The sprayer was used and had some issues but I'm a Stihl fanboi so I still thought the Stihl would be the way to go. Then I looked at the Stihl website. The reviews are horrible, combined with my short experience with the Stihl backpack sprayer I scratched that brand off the list. I remembered this thread existed and the opinions expressed here are the same as the Stihl site. Double scratch the Stihl.

So, any updates on brands mentioned or other recommendations?

I used a backpack sprayer for the first time last fall and I'll never go back to hand held. I used a Stihl, not sure of the model, to do some cut stumps. The sprayer was used and had some issues but I'm a Stihl fanboi so I still thought the Stihl would be the way to go. Then I looked at the Stihl website. The reviews are horrible, combined with my short experience with the Stihl backpack sprayer I scratched that brand off the list. I remembered this thread existed and the opinions expressed here are the same as the Stihl site. Double scratch the Stihl.

So, any updates on brands mentioned or other recommendations?
I'm still running the same Stanley's I mentioned in this thread in 2017 so they must be pretty good cuz I'm hard on things! ;)

Have 3 solos. All are probably 5 to 6 yrs old. Have a lawn care company and get used a lot. Replaced the top seal in them but otherwise been great sprayers. Replaced a wand to I guess but been very pleased with them

Top Bottom