Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best camera for the money?

What camera is best for the money?

• Scoutgard

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • Cudde

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Leaf river

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Has anyone heard anything about the new Bushnell cam that looks like a DLC covert II. They look and sound very similar to the covert 2 except they dont use a remote and are about $50 cheaper, I think its just alled a busnell trophy cam 5mgp

Has anyone heard anything about the new Bushnell cam that looks like a DLC covert II. They look and sound very similar to the covert 2 except they dont use a remote and are about $50 cheaper, I think its just alled a busnell trophy cam 5mgp

Not sure if it is built around the same base cam as the SG550/DLC Covert. Not having to carry around a remote might be nice. The security issue might stop some people, see below.

From trailcampro.com:
As with just about anything, the Trophy Cam is not perfect. During our review of the Bushnell Trophy Cam, the camera only detected out to about 45 ft. This is 5 feet shorter than the Scoutguard trail camera models.

There is a Security Case that the Trophy Cam will fit into nicely. The Trophy Cam does NOT have a slot for a Python Lock to slide through unless you have the security case as well.

Joe, I asked about this on a different post. Apparently they are made by the same company and are supposed to be good. I stopped by Prairie Du Chien and they have tons of them for 199.99.

Comparing specs of the SG550 and the Bushnell Trophy cam, the trigger speed is reported as 1.3 seconds for the SG550, 1.21 seconds for the Bushnell, pretty much a dead heat there.

What caught my eye on the Bushnell was it's recovery time of 7-11 seconds. I've set my DLC Covert to the multi-shot mode (3 rapid fire full 5Mp pics) and the pics were spaced 4 seconds apart. Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison.

Ya I saw that it took longer to recover also but if your running videos than this shouldnt be a problem atleast I dont think. Anyone know how they compare to each other as far as frames per second for the video quality

Anyone know how they compare to each other as far as frames per second for the video quality

The specs for them listed at trailcampro.com have both cameras (well, all three SG550, DLC Covert and Bushnell Trophy Cam) at 16 fps.

Just got off the phone, talked to a rep for one of the companies that sells trail cams. He told me the Bushnell is the same innards as the SG550 and the DLC Covert II. Bushnell decided to provide 2 year warranty on the Trophy Cam vs. one year warranty of the others. The rep said they were sold out with a 2 to 3 week back order.

anybody heard of this place.. http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/trail_cameras.htm

i think im gonna go with the DLC Covert II double pack.

or does someone know of a better deal from a better known site?

DLC Covert II's are at Scheels for $249.99 - If I keep the receipt I don't have to worry about the warranty. They will take back anything, anytime as long as you have the receipt.

Otherwise I can go with coueswhitetail and the - Double-pack - comes with two cameras, two 2GB SD cards, and two straps and 1 set of accessories (the remote, USB cables, etc) for $419.99

So i get a remote, usb cables, and save $80 but I sacrifice a lifetime return policy as long as I don't lose the receipt. Any advice?

Last edited:
Any advice?

Haven't heard of http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookst...il_cameras.htm.

Have you thought about the Bushnell Trophy Cam? $199 from trailcampro.com and they come with a two year warranty. Built around the same Boly Media camera as the SG550 and DLC Covert. You don't need the remote to program the Bushnell like you do with the SG and DLC.

Don't let me sway you though, as I don't have any personal experience with the Bushnell, yet........

If you have your heart set on the DLC's, you might call Bernie and see if he will match that deal. I've purchased from Bernie before and feel comfortable doing business with him. I can't make any statements about whether he would match that deal, though.

I just found this over at Chasingame (last item at the bottom of the page) in case one wants to wait......

DLC Our line of communications seems to be much better so this is what we were able to find out. We had to sneak a peak at things in the factory and that little bird has indicated that the 09 camera for Covert will be the same SG-550 based camera but with a built in view screen and programmability (no remote required). We are hoping that there has been some attention given to a couple other things that were indicated in the 08 cams, so that those problems are not seen in 09. This line at the factory is overwhelmed and it looks like first release will be late June or July if not later.

One of the Covert folks mentioned the up coming Covert III and said it was going to be different. Our bird has told us that this will not be a BMC camera and will probably be programmable in a similar manner to the Wildview camera (meaning switch programmable). The Covert II should still be the same with minor upgrades and still come from BMC but will be late coming out.

Haven't heard of http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookst...il_cameras.htm.

Have you thought about the Bushnell Trophy Cam? $199 from trailcampro.com and they come with a two year warranty. Built around the same Boly Media camera as the SG550 and DLC Covert. You don't need the remote to program the Bushnell like you do with the SG and DLC.

Don't let me sway you though, as I don't have any personal experience with the Bushnell, yet........

If you have your heart set on the DLC's, you might call Bernie and see if he will match that deal. I've purchased from Bernie before and feel comfortable doing business with him. I can't make any statements about whether he would match that deal, though.

Bernie said he will match that... but now I can't make up my mind about getting the covert or the bushnell. I could see myself losing the remote and it seems like a pain in the butt.

Bushnell - Better battery life, no remote, easier to set up

Covert - Camo, quicker recovery time.

Well i couldn't stand waiting so I bought 2 bushnells from trailcampro.com - I'll let you guys know how they work. I read up on them pretty much all day and the reason I chose the bushnell is because

#1 - Bushnell has 2 year warranty compared to 1 year on the DLC and SG
#2 - No remote required unlike the SG and DLC
#3 - $200 - a little cheaper
#4 - Battery life is longer

ALL other specs seem to be the same

Well i couldn't stand waiting so I bought 2 bushnells from trailcampro.com - I'll let you guys know how they work. I read up on them pretty much all day and the reason I chose the bushnell is because

#1 - Bushnell has 2 year warranty compared to 1 year on the DLC and SG
#2 - No remote required unlike the SG and DLC
#3 - $200 - a little cheaper
#4 - Battery life is longer

ALL other specs seem to be the same

Pretty much why I figured my next cam will be the Bushnell. All three of these cams are based on the same Boly Media Company camera guts, with slight tweaks here and there.

I don't think a person is going to go too wrong with any of the three.

The key thing here is best for the money. I have a Wildview extreme 2.0 trail cam. I got a 2 pack on sale after rebate for $80. I've had one of them out for the last 5 months solid hooked up to a motorcycle battery. I get over 1,000 pics a week & the battery lasts for a month at least. I know there are way more expensive cameras that take better pics & have cool features, but I guarantee this is the best camera for your dollar. And best of all you can buy 2 or 3 or 4 for the price of 1 Cuddeback.

I bought one Cuddeback capture when they first came out. I sold three moultries and two stealth cams and invested the money in Cuddebacks. That's all I run now. That's my opinion on them. Never tried the scoutguard.

The Moultrie GameSpy 4.0 is a decent camera for $100 dollars. Good Picture quality. No IR but takes good pictures at night with the flash. Trigger speed is ok. Like most cameras it will get triggered by a lot of blowing grass in front of it. For the money it is hard to beat though.

i am looking to buy 1 or 2 more cameras and the bushnells sound pretty good. i looked around at them and have read some mixed reviews. some people say the batteries only last about 2 weeks others say that they dont take good night pics or that the trigger speed wasent catching deer they saw in person. has anyone had bad experience with these or are the realy that good.

Top Bottom