Best Days To Hunt The Rut

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by jesserichard, May 22, 2011.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. jesserichard

jesserichard New Member

I was just wondering what everybody thinks is the best days to hunt during the rut. What have people found to be the tried and true and what this season will be.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

Most wil say first week of Nov. but "Rut", is highly variable, sometimes from area to area. Dependent on weather too. Warm is a bummer...I saw most activity on my small piece of land Nov. 12th. Was first real cold day also. First two wks of Nov. be out there!

4. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

November 3rd thru the 9th and about the 18th to December 1st is my favorite times to be out.

5. 6x6

6x6 PMA Member

Myself, I like the period right after most of the bucks are locked down with their first does, roughly nov. 17th untill the first part of dec. Here it seems every year the older bucks dont become visable untill then. Most of the bucks I see the first part of nov. are 3 1/2 and under.

6. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

I will never be out of the stand from Nov 3-15. I also like the late Nov hunting like 6x6 BUT it's a different type of hunting for sure with far more frustrations and patience needed BUT often times with big rewards. I had an AWFUL rut this last year & the year before- MOST of that had to do with warm weather BUT they sucked. I killed a 7.5 year old buck on November 20th this last season.

7. Cooter

Cooter Active Member

Every day....... you dont know when they could cut loose.:way:

If possible the last week in Oct. till you fill your tag or run out of time.

8. 6x6

6x6 PMA Member

I guess the difference is that I am usually after 1 or 2 certain bucks and they could be anywhere during the first part of nov., which is why thats when guys on marginal neighboring farms get lucky. It seems once the first big wave of breeding occurs the does start useing the feeding fields again, and thats where the older bucks are every evening. I do know every year from about nov. 11th to the 15th or 16th is always real slow. Like Sligh said the first part of nov. is the best to put in the time and see the most bucks.My buck from last year was fairly visable untill the end of oct. then fell off the map untill around thanksgiving, but then he started hitting the same picked cornfield every evening chaseing and checking does.

9. ShedHunter1

ShedHunter1 Active Member

The first and second week of nov. are wild, but I would have to agree with 6x6 & sligh1 I've killed a lot of older bucks Nov. 15-27. Between 10a.m-2p.m I've killed more older bucks cruising for does in later Nov. and over a decoy. Patience! Sitting there day after day. Your wife asking why didn't you shoot that buck I thought you said he was big enough! LOL Then you see a bigger one.
    Anytime you can get out is the best.

10. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Oh yeah, I said I killed that 7.5 year old on Nov 20- I'll add, it was 1:30 pm. Glad I was in the stand!

11. muddy

muddy Administrator

I have had my best success the last week of Oct thru the first 2 weeks of Nov. If I could take those 3 weeks off every year I would.

tremperje and Tim Hull like this.
  12. sureshot

sureshot The Hunt Never Ends....

If I could only pick one week it would be Nov 3rd-10th

13. Scott

Scott Active Member

Yep. Best action is first week but biggest bucks consistently move around thanksgiving

14. JakeWym

JakeWym Arrow Chucker

Halloween til shotgun opener. You never know what might walk by, any of those days. Mid November lockdown is pretty frustrating though.

15. bowhuntia

bowhuntia New Member

Depends....do you want to be lucky or good?
    Are you hunting what you think to be a "Home Body Buck" or planning on the luck of a "Roamer buck"
    Home Body Buck: Last week of Oct then again Thanksgiving week if he makes it home.
    Roamer Bucks: Nov 3-20

16. Cooter

Cooter Active Member

I would like to withdraw my first post and go with this......as much as you can from the last week in Oct. till you tag out without burning yourself or your hunting spots out.

17. ShedHunter1
    This message by ShedHunter1 has been removed from public view.
    May 23, 2011 Show
  18. Crockett

Crockett PMA Member

Yep! We all know!!!!!!!!! Ya gotta lotta internet experts! Let's let'um talk! Or are you wanting to know from people that just hunt, when they can!? That hunt somebody elses land! That can't afford to suck in the deer?? It lays a little different! Depends on how much money you have to spend!!!!!!!!!!!! It is like everything else in MeXamerica! Ya got the money!! Well Hell!! Ya got the money!! :mad::mad:

19. 6x6

6x6 PMA Member

Well Crockett we are all waiting to hear your infinate wisdom on what week is best for you? Whats with the attitude?

20. gundog870

gundog870 Premium Platinum Member

Do you have to put in for vacation?

21. cwhite

cwhite Member

My three biggest bow kills have been Nov 6, 8, 8.

22. KnuckleDragr

KnuckleDragr Active Member

I like the Nov. 10th - 20th. Most folks would call that time "lock down", but I seem to have better luck seeing the bigger ones moving around at that time as opposed to the first week of the month. I guess each property is unique in how the deer use it.