Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best pics of 09-10 season

sw outdoor nut

Since the season is winding down and it is getting kind of slow on here, I thought a post with your best pics of the season would be a good one. Maybe biggest, most unique, quality frame, etc. pic. Maybe a moderator can make it a sticky for a while?
Here are a few I came across:
MDGC0039.jpg

Hayfield2.jpg

MDGC0148.jpg

MDGC0013.jpg

Good post. I didn't really get any great photos this season but here's a few that were better than most others I had.

DSC_0013-Copy.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

P10100182.jpg

P1010058-Copy.jpg

SW outdoor nut, picture 3 in your series is one of the cooler trail cam pics i have ever seen. Thanks for sharing those, and hopefully those hogs show up again next year for you.

Kratz

Liv4rut that first pic is my favorite . But that last one is a little different , I wonder what they were hunting ?

LIV, are those Mung types out tree ratting? Several years ago I was doing some work in the Yellow River st forest and heard a bunch of .22's go off. It was just after tree rat season opened and walking out I ran into two Mung (spelling off, yeah I know) and I could see turkey feathers on their bulging back packs. Since this was a year or two after that dude up in Wisconsin shot those hunters I just kept on walking.

Robin - Matt:

I assume your comment(s) are sarcasm but just in case it isn't, here is my input on your question(s).

I think Mike has done some public hunting in my neck of the woods during his college years or maybe even still does and what they shoot can vary. Whatever they can pack out in their back packs without getting caught is basically what they shoot (including quartered out deer). I first started hunting the areas public tracts harder about 5-6 years ago. I met a local guy that first year who hunted public land hard and he informed me that "deer season opens Sept. 1st" and I am sure I looked at him funny like he was stupid. Actually I soon understood what he was indirectly saying to me (Sept 1st is the squirrel season opener normally). I am still hearing rumors around the area of an Asian claiming to have taken over a 100 deer out of one of the area's larger public tracts in one year !!!

Last edited:
I'm not being sarcastic Brent, just asking a question on general location as that's exactly what I ran into while out doing some stream work one day in NE Iowa. I'm not the only one in my work section to have ran into them in that sort of situation, we all do the same thing, smile and keep walking.

The asian ladies in this pic were from around Decorah. I have ran into hmong both in the Des Moines River Valley as well as NE iowa. Nowhere inbetween though. Brent is right on that "Deer" season opens Sept 1st in the Des Moines River valley.

I remember the one of the scariest days of my life. During youth season I set up a father and son on a nice piece of public that I thought he could get a crack at a deer. Well long story short he hit a big buck that night and they claimed they couldn't find it. They found blood but lost it soon. I decided the next day I would go in there and look. It was september so I wasn't worried.

I got there at around 11pm and started working my way down this big Valley. All of the sudden it sounded like world war 3 going on. It was a mix of 22s, shotguns, and high power rifles. 3 or 4 deer came flying up through the valley and crossed in front of me. I was seriously at the bottom of a mountain for Iowa. Nowhere to go at all. There was a sharp turn in front of me and all the sudden here came six men, 4 on one side two on the other. Luckfully I was wearing a red ISU sweater and they saw me right away. I didn't want to just take off running out of there so I waved and walked up to them. These guys were very uneasy with me approaching them and it almost looked as if they were going to run until they realized I didn't have any weapons.

Only one of them could speak minor english and I told him I was out deer scouting. He said "deer all ova, we shoot many". He pointed down by the river and said "good spot" Then he said "we squirrel hunting" I said, goodluck, I saw three of them down the bottom of that hill, meaning deer. He kinda laughed and said Yes, Yes big squirrel and then I went on my way. As soon as I crested the hill I ran to my truck. The whole time from the second I left them, it became non-stop shooting again.

I didn't go back to that spot for a good year. The crazy thing was is when I got the road there wasn't a vehicle in sight anywhere.

Last edited:
Mike:

I got a couple stories also. One fall when scouting locations and placing stands, I got in the middle of four squirrel hunters (basically had me surrounded). Finally laid eyes on one while I was finishing a stand location. Put the binos up and saw an Asian carrying a scoped rifle with a can of Bud Light. It was 8:15 AM on a Sat morning in Sept. !!!!!! I quickly began waving my arms so he would see me. He finally did and by the time I got down and walked over to him the BL had been dropped. The amount of beer cans left on public land is disgusting and I have my opinions about where most of that trash comes from in my area of the state.

Next day in a different spot I again tried to get a stand up before the morning got active. When I was done I had to cross some standing corn to get back to my vehicle. I had heard some shooting in the direction of the vehicle and wasn't real happy about having to go back that direction but did not have much choice. I got about 5-6 rows from the outside of the corn and saw an Asian standing there holding a rifle peering into the corn like he was looking for something. I hollered so he knew I wasn't a deer and he about soiled himself. I was pissed and got in his face (second time in two days kinda had me upset). I asked him if he was looking for the "deer" in the corn and he said "no, no, I thought you my friend". SOB probably would have shot me if I wouldn't have hollered from the corn.

PS - I apologize for getting this thread off course. This topic just gets me going.:mad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom