Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Sabot Slugs- Groups, Trajectory, etc.

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So I sold my 870 cause I didn't think I'd use it. Well, I changed my mind so I bought the same thing with a rifled barrel and leupold scope. Changed this year from Winchester Gold Partitions to Hornady sabots- they had best ballistics....

BUT, the Hornady's group like CRAP for me- I know it's not me and I know for a fact they do not group nearly as good as the Gold Partitions. I love the new slugs that have the amazing ballistics, Winchester has a couple, Remington has a couple, Hornady has theirs, etc, etc. I can do the 200 yard shots with the Gold partitions and NOT with the Hornady's because they group so poorly.

QUESTION- does anyone else have trouble getting Hornady's to group well? What other slugs that are in this caliber do you recommend that group well. Probably the obviuous choice is to go back to Gold Partitions BUT maybe there's something as good or better? Any thoughts? THANKS!!!

*The category of slugs I am talking about is the (yes expensive!!! ouch!) slugs with the 6-10" drop at 200 yards. NOT rifled slugs and not the older sabots. Stuff like Gold partitions, hornady's, etc obviously.

I have a remington 11-87 with a rifled barrel and have had similar experiences. I am not sure if Hornady manufactures different types of slugs but the SST's shot horible from my gun. I settled on the Winchester partition golds. They weigh 85 grains more than the SST's but group awesome.

If you check Cabela's online customer reviews for the two slug types, you will see similar responses from Remington owners. Not sure why, but perhaps it has to do with the rate of twist they use in their barrels.

I have shot the partition golds for 5 years and finally got sick of paying for them this year and switched to the hornady slugs. I actually get better groups with the hornadys. Haven't tried it over 100yrds yet though, that's with an 870. Kind of glad to get away from the kick of the golds also, twice as hard as any slug I have ever shot.

we have had good luck with lightfields and remington copper solids. I prefer the lightfields. Haven't shot past 150 yards though on the range.

SEIowaDeerSlayer- I have heard that you bought your gun from some super-human, killing machine that can kill a deer at 1000 yards with a slug- that guy must have "cursed" your gun with the ability to NEVER miss! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well, I think I am going to the Partition Golds in the spring. I killed a buck with the Hornady's today BUT he was at 10 yards.

There's a new REMINGTON bullet that I see advertised, it has the green tip- you see it in all the magazines right now and it advertises how well it groups- anybody have experience with that??? Another one that came out last year was a new WINCHESTER that has "X" in the name I think???? - all I know about it for sure is the ballistics are AWESOME (not sure how it groups?!?!?!?!?) but it also costs like $20 for a 5 count box!!!!!!!! Ok, that's crazy. Remington also improved the original copper solid a few years ago- the new one has FAR BETTER ballistics (the original 1 oz was meant for 100 yards or less) and its been out a for a few years- experience with the "newer copper one"???? I guess I'm rambling cause it'll pry be gold partitions BUT I am open and curious! thanks

Have used the Partition Golds since the came out with great luck. Yea they are pricey, but one shot, one kill a box lasts me for awhile accept when I go to the range. Used BRI (Ballistic Research Industries) before them for years before Winchester bought them out.

I had the same exact experience with the Horandy SST's out of a 870. I never tried to hunt with them and went strait back to the Gold Partitions. I have never killed a deer past 150 yards with the winchersters but I am confident I could.

The new Remington Accutip slugs shoot great out of my 870. I have the 23" heavy barrel with a Nikon Slughunter scope and have shot several 1" groups at 50 yards. I tried the Hornady SSTs, Remington Core Lokt Ultras and Winchester Partition Golds and nothing came close to the Accutips. I shot several deer from 35 to 150 yards first season and had great results. I recovered a slug from a doe that was shot at 100 yards and it mushroomed perfectly.

The specific slugs I was referring to (just looked to make sure)

-Winchester XP3 (expensive but amazing ballistics)
-Remington Accu-tip (I am going to try these and Gold Partitions)
-Winchester Gold partition of course
-Hornady's we all know what I am talking about.
-Remington Core Lok Ultra (way better than copper solids.)

http://www.winchester.com and http://www.remington.com

I really just think if you have a Remington - stay away from Hornady's to be safe (one guy did well) because the others will surely shoot fine (I know Gold Partitions did very well in mine).

Federal also makes a polymer tipped slug. Federal Barnes Expander tipped slug. 1900fps dropping 7.2 at 200yds. Should be in the ballpark of the others.

Actually the Hastings barrel on and 870 will generally group better with any slug than the Remington barrel.. (2" @ 100) groups with the Hornady out of a Hastings Barrel is pretty much the norm. I can't say for the others.
The H&R single barrel with rifling is one of the most accurate guns out there with slugs.

The H&R single barrel with rifling is one of the most accurate guns out there with slugs.[/quote] Amen to that. When i do shotgun its with to the Ol'trusty H&R 20 gauge. It was my dads gun. It shoots SST's great with me shooting it. Dad couldnt hit the broad side of the barn with it. Open sites ,150 yards off the back of the truck bed,3 inch groups. Tack Driver!!

I have an 11-87 Special Field that hammers out Lightfield 2 3/4's. I tried copper solids and everything else out there. It works best with the lightfields out to 163 yards Try em...Jusr my 2 cents.

Frankie

Top Bottom