Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Strategy For A Big Buck?

Can't open the picture. You have to be a member of that site or something. Most likely you'll have to upload the photo to the site and then post it. Refer to the posting instructions at the top of the page.

Here is my way of Patterning. It is from the Complete Whitetail Addict's Manual. gotta note that by law.

I hope it helps.

Patterning Bucks
After finishing the sport show circuit and doing a seminar based on my research of deer activity and weather conditions I was amazed to find out how may hunters wanted to take a 140 or better class buck yet were not hunting rub lines, scrapes, funnels or staging areas. My amazement was not that those attending wanted to shoot a good buck, but at when and where they hunted. I start off my seminars by asking how many of those present hunt the high use areas mentioned above, and how many archery hunters want to hunt during the breeding period of the rut. With attendance numbers of 200-500 in each seminar almost all of the hunters indicated they hunted during the breeding period. Less than 2 percent hunted rub lines, another 2 percent scrapes, 3 percent funnels and 3 percent staging areas. Many of the same hunters indicated they hunted each of these areas. About 90 percent of the hunters indicated they hunted food sources, and deer highways or crossings during the breeding period. I understand that because they see numerous bucks at all hours of the day hunters like to hunt these areas during the breeding period. But, if whitetail hunters want to have the best chance at individual trophy bucks they should hunt the rubbing and scraping period along rub lines, scrapes, funnels and staging areas.

The time of the year when bucks are most predictable in their daily movement is during the rubbing and scraping phases, or pre-rut, before the breeding phase. The place where bucks spend the majority of their time during daylight hours is the bedding area. During the pre-rut the bucks begin to travel to several doe use areas and food sources in preparation for the breeding period. Because most of the does don't come into estrous for a month or two after the bucks begin to rub the bucks are not chasing does and are quite predictable in where and when they travel. Because a buck's travel route generally follows the path of least resistance, but is governed by the need for security, it usually travels in heavy cover or low lying areas where it is concealed during daylight, and travels in open areas at night. By trial and error the buck finds the best travel route from its bedding area, leaving it in the evening when low light conditions tell it it is safe to travel. The buck generally travels the same trail to doe use and feeding areas at about the same time daily, providing the weather is right. Once the does come into estrous the bucks begin chasing them, staying with them up to three days, not following their rub routes, but following the does instead.

Because the buck leaves the bedding area during low light conditions, close to sundown, the farther it gets from its bedding area the more likely it is that the buck is traveling after dark. The buck, feed, rub, scrape and search for does throughout the night. They usually get back to their bedding areas before sunrise, often before legal hunting hours. However, some bucks may arrive home during legal shooting hours if they have been chasing does or feeding late. Because the buck is either in his bed or near it at dawn and dusk the place where it is most likely to be seen, on a regular basis (unless you plan to actually hunt the buck in its bedding area), is along the rub route near the bedding area, usually in the evening. To hunt the buck at this time and place you have to pattern it.

During my seminars I ask how many hunters have patterned a deer. To my surprise no more than 5 hunters in each of ten seminars raised their hands. This astounded me. I assumed that because both I the hunters I associate with look for rub lines and scrapes to a pattern buck and find its bedding area that most other hunters do too. This is obviously not the case. I don't know how most deer hunters locate the best places to hunt for bucks but if they are not patterning a buck they are missing the best technique for hunting trophy bucks.

There seems to be some mystique about how to pattern deer, especially bucks. The easiest way to pattern a buck is to locate its rub line and walk it backward to the bedding area. This is easily accomplished by locating buck rubs along the infrequently used buck trails. I say infrequently used because many hunters expect bucks to travel the same trail the does use, the deer highway where many hunters like to set their stands. In fact, bucks generally travel their own routes, separate from other deer. They usually travel these individual trails one time a day, travel them in only one direction, and may not use them daily. Therefore, rub route trails are infrequently used and may not even be recognized as a deer trail by many hunters. If you are on a trail that is worn down to the dirt it is probably a doe use trail and not a buck rub route.

Avoid Bucks Patterning You
Patterning is a favored technique of many successful deer hunters in their efforts to locate bucks. What many hunters don't realize is that the deer, especially older bucks, will in turn pattern them. We know that bucks avoid hunters and their hunting areas, especially if they have previously detected the hunter or been shot at, but most hunters don't realize how good bucks are at patterning them. So what do you do to keep the deer from patterning you? Obviously the first thing is to avoid using deer trails (unless you have previously Familiarized the deer). Avoid crossing deer trails on the way to your stand, and keep your scent from blowing across trails and high use areas as you approach your stand. Stalk your stand as if you were stalking a deer. Remember your stand is, or should be, in a high use area. Deer frequent the area. There may be deer there every time you go in. Be especially careful crossing trails that show little use.

Avoiding Detection
Take precautions to eliminate scent while you are hunting. Wear rubber boots and gloves, don't work up a sweat on the way to your stand, use odor eliminating products, shower with antibacterial soaps and use a cover scent; fox, raccoon, or cow urine. Dr. Juice cover scent works well in many areas that have cattle; deer are accustomed to human and cow scent together. The best way to reduce/eliminate human scent is to use a Contain anti-bacterial suit or a Scent Lok charcoal suit. I won't leave home a Contain suit. Be acutely aware of the wind direction at all times and remain down or crosswind to the approach of the animals.

Don’t Over-hunt
It's also a good idea not to over-hunt your area. While many hunters feel they should hunt an area three days, because deer may not appear regularly, studies by James Kroll in Texas show that if you hunt the same area three days in a row the number of deer seen will steadily decrease. The deer will learn you are there. Change your stand sight every two to three days to keep the deer from patterning you. You can always go back later. While you are out there trying pattern the deer, they are patterning you. Take steps to Avoid Detection and don't over-hunt the area. Stalk your stand and be aware of every trail in the area, and which deer use them. If you think you have been detected don't be afraid to move your stand to a better area; it's better to move and have a chance than to stay and have no chance at all.

May Yahweh bless you and yours,

T.R.

You sure that bruiseer isn't half elk???

I'd be patterning that buck for sure.

Where did you say you saw it?????????

I'll be glad to come and pattern it for you.

Seriously, get after him, hunt hard, don't screw up, good luck and let us know what happens.

May Yahweh bless you and yours,

T.R.

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to reduce/eliminate human scent is to use a Contain anti-bacterial suit or a Scent Lok charcoal suit. T.R.

[/ QUOTE ]

T.R. Sir, you must have written your manual prior to your activated carbon education.
shocked.gif

Just Razz'n!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are right I did, but I thought I got all references to it out.

Just removed it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

wstupid.gif
TR, what were you thinking???
grin.gif

Jeez! That is a P.I.G.

My advice is go in fearless, but respect him. Pretty general I know.

Years ago I had a 190" typ. that was hiding out in a small draw in the middle of nowhere. He was about 150 yds from my stand. I knew the tree i was in was one of the few to get a stand in. I was torn between going after him closer or staying. I ended up being a pussy and staying put when I should have been running and gunning where i saw him come out twice whether I was 5 ft off the ground or not.
Long story short I didn't see him again and heard he got killed by the neighbor a mile north. 191" gross. typ.
If a situation comes up even half way similar you can bet I'm going to do things way different. Translated-you can't kill him if he isn't there, go get him.

Great now I'm really freaking out. I walked into a new area yesterday with the intentions of hanging a camera. Got in the woods and there were rubs everywhere. Hung the camera and found a few stand sites and got out of there but there was two of us in street clothes (stupid I know) so I'm just hoping we didn't booger the place up to bad.

My buddy saw a booner in there last year during doe season. And there were at least 5 4-6" diameter trees rubbed to heck so I'm thinking it could be him.

Now I'm wishing my camera wasn't in there. Only good thing is there was a bunch of cows in there too so maybe they will crap all over hell and my smell will be gone.
smirk.gif

After reading this post I guess I better get in there after him rather than wait till end of Oct. like I planned.
confused.gif

The game is about to start...
evil.gif

Oh yeah! That's an absolute monster. Good luck with him.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom