Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best things and Biggest mistakes made on new properties

nontyp

What in your opinion are the best things and or first things you guys would put time into once you have purchased a new property? What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve made or wastes of money? Thought it would be interesting to hear responses from multiple experienced land owners.

CHAINSAW #1!!!!!!! TSI the second season is done. Leaving standing crops to protect some deee to build on future #2.
Then plots, lack of intrusion, securing from idiots & trespassers, etc etc. eventually I’d want to improve or do something with every acre on farm. Apple & pear trees and add cedars if lacking thermal cover. I’d enroll some tillable in crp when able. Enough food choices to keep deer there year round (grains to clover to brassicas, etc). Targeting old mature bully bucks- I’d get them outta there so fast ur head would spin if u can properly identify.

Mistakes...... hmmmm......
Neighbor who shoots everything - putting food or creating premium cover next to them. (Or mistake is buying next to someone like that to begin with ;) )
Over hunting it. Letting too many people go out & push deer off.
Wastes of $????? Man..... I gotta think on this. I know there’s an answer. I’m stumped though.

I agree with the above, as well you never stop improving your farm at least I haven't in 10 years .. Always something.. As well it takes time to see results so be patient .

Layout layout layout. Sitting down, thinking, planning, bouncing ideas off trusted people. You have one time to get it right so spend some time planning. "look at the prints before building"

My process once plan is complete (always working to improve this).

Post property
fix fence/gates
Get any dozer work done that's needed
Fire up the chainsaws (agree with above, #1 enhancement that can be done)
Identify sanctuarys. . Every property should have them regardless of size IMO. Just mark it off on a map and commit to never going in there unless its after a deer or one time a year to shed hunt.
Plan/plant native grasses. This takes a couple years to get "good" so the earlier the planted the better
Same as above with fruit trees

Lessons learned going back:
Planting pine trees (go with cedars)
Planting wrong varieties of fruit trees (first started by buying at lowes... what a joke)
Not planning access routes. The best spots in the world are useless if you cant get in and out of them. (If I won mega millions, id put underground tunnels in)

Waste of money:
1 & 2 from above
Trying to do too much with equipment I have and breaking shit. I'm still learning tractors arn't dozers. Cheaper to just hire the right "tool"
planting trees without protecting them.

So many good ideas here. I'll just give my .02 on the biggest.

Enough late season grain to get them through to early spring browse growing. Totally worth it and comforting to know what your doing for your local deer. It's so much easier and nicer to work a deal out with your farmer (if you have any row crops) than to buy the equipment and hard knock it out.

Plenty of trail cams. Not that you're checking them all that often but you'll learn so much about your deer I won't even get into it. You'll learn a lot.

If if you haven't any trespassing, lay the smack down. If you don't, play nice. No need to create enemies.

Shed hunting is fun, but treat is as a scouting mission as well.

Waste of money??? Nothing really comes to mind, just keep your mind on net gains.

Exciting man! Best wishes!

I would consider hunting one Fall before making big decisions/changes. I learned so much about the deer movement and where they liked to be by sitting in the tree that first year on my farm. A lot of the patterns I learned were different than what I had expected. Although I'm still learning and adapting every year, the first year was the most valuable.

Establish relationships with your neighbors early. Let them know your expectations early on. Get their contact info etc.

BB

Top Bottom