Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Momma

Big Timber

I finished up the early muzzleloader season with a truly "Big Momma"

I ended up shooting this doe at 8 yds out of a brushy fence row. It was a little close, but that's how I like it.

I'd been hunting this area for an extremely large deer that I'd seen early summer. I went out 4 times and saw some decent bucks, but not the one I wanted. The last day I went out, I brought out a friend who had never hunted. So I thought it was a good idea to bring the video cam and have him film for me.
I knew I had a good shot at harvesting the giant, so I figured it was best to bring the cam. We set up in a fenceline on the ground overlooking a picked bean field backed by a picked corn field. Deer started moving early, and smaller bucks were running does around the field. This continued for the next couple of hours, and it was starting to get dark. We had seen the big doe working our way, but never guessed it would end up in front of us. There was about 1/2 hr of light left when she stepped in front of us, so I decided to take the shot with my .45.
As you can imagine, at 8 yds the doe expired within seconds. We did a quick commentary on the hunt, and started walking back to the truck when the giant stepped into view.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. This was the biggest deer I've ever laid eyes on in my hunting experiences. I was a mere 50 yds from him, perfect broadside shot with no tag left to use. I couldn't believe it, neither could my buddy.
Now immediately I told my buddy to start rolling film. He was already on it, with roughly 5 minutes of footage on this monarch.
Here's the kicker...
As a novice camera man, he forgot a very important step of the film process. That is... HIT THE RECORD BUTTON. At least he got a good look at it through the viewfinder
grin.gif

Regardless of shooting the giant, we still had an awesome hunt and harvested a doe. The footage turned out well minus the one mishap, but sharing the hunt with someone else was a great feeling.

Sorry, didn't get the big momma scoring sheet out on this one. I didn't want to take all of the prizes.
waytogo.gif

326single2-med.JPG

Get out into the woods, primetime is here

BT

DOH! That is one big doe! At 8 yds I imagine there was singed hair adding to the smoke!

Too bad about the big one ... that you missed the opportunity to tag him and that your buddy didn't get him on film. But with a little luck, you might meet up with him some day later this season.

Good job on the doe, great story, and good luck.

Threebeards

Shredder,
I only dream of owning one. That ranger was my boss's. He let's me break them in before they go out into the field.

You remember breaking it in dont you?

Hopefully I'll introduce the giant to my bow in the next few weeks.

BT

holy COW! if that's the size of the does in your area i can't wait to see the bucks!

I have no clue what she weighed. All I can tell you is that I've never had trouble dragging a doe before. She was tough enough with 2 of us.

She was a giant.

BT

During the breaking phase on the Ranger, I don't think it includes 40mph over rough terrain, trying corners at 40mph, or burnouts at 50 mph.......
grin.gif

Congrats BT, that's a lot of steaks there. Good luck on the big boy.
smile.gif

Way to go on the big momma. I also shot a dandy of a doe on the last day of early muzzleloader. I am not sure why but I enjoy taking down them does for some reason. Now I am just waiting for a big buck.

Top Bottom