Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big toms or big fish this spring?

I'd like to give that a shot sometime. Do you just fish the windblown shorelines with cut bait?

Early in the season when ice is just going out fish the inlets. The snow melt is running into the lakes. When the ice is off fish the north shores and points when there is real strong south winds and you can catch stringers like this!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Up until last year I was all about fish, come March and April it was walleye time. Slip into the waders and off to the Des Moines River. I still turkey hunted but never wasted much time or effect into killing a tom. Some roommates last year got me hooked, and now I'm just thankful for still being in college and able to do it all.

I'd have to say there's nothing better than living in IOWA IN THE SPRING!

24mcqxv.jpg

8xn13a.jpg

2ujr046.jpg

2dr6fwi.jpg

2s64tcj.jpg

Great pics Booner!!!

I love turkey hunting about as much as anything, but always try to slay a few crappies each spring!

Not anywhere else I'd rather be that Iowa in the spring :)

Sweet pics, Booner! I've only ever seen one 'ski come out of the Des Moines, that's pretty awesome. Oh, and that's my rock you're standing on!! Late last spring I hooked into a double digit eye on 6 lb. test right there, fought it for 20 minutes and couldn't get the sucker in a net!! Finally some guy tried helping and in trying to net it, knocked my jig loose. :thrwrck:
Maybe I'll see ya around this spring. Hopefully the water stays down!

Blaster, those are some dynamite stringers. What's the preferred bait? I'm definately going to try and get in on some of that action!

Sweet pics, Booner! I've only ever seen one 'ski come out of the Des Moines, that's pretty awesome. Oh, and that's my rock you're standing on!! Late last spring I hooked into a double digit eye on 6 lb. test right there, fought it for 20 minutes and couldn't get the sucker in a net!! Finally some guy tried helping and in trying to net it, knocked my jig loose. :thrwrck:
Maybe I'll see ya around this spring. Hopefully the water stays down!

Your rock huh? hahah, I'm not gunna lie my senior yr in High school that rock was my 2nd home, spent many of nights down there fishing. I'm surprised to say though I've only seen 1 10lb+ eye come down from there and it wasn't mine haha. Most of them big gals are way to skinny from the lack of bait fish down there. Mine was 30inches and only wieghed like 8lbs but I'm almost certain she was actually absorbing her eggs rather than dumping because she was caught during the spring/early summer and she still had a decent gut just not that 10lb sway. I've also run into the AWESOME NET guys down there, had a 50+inch musky on at some guy ran over to net it and it my crank and knocked it right out of his mouth. I actually usually don't bring a net with me down there just kind of cradle them up against shore and usually a buddy. Nets can be dirty down there with the wet rocks. I'm sure I have probably already seen ya down there like i said i fish the lake/spillway probably 60 days a summer/spring since my parents live 12 miles from the lake exactly haha. Have to keep in touch maybe I'll put ya on one of them big gals :D:D

There was a pretty decent crop of baitfish last year. Later in the summer it wasn't uncommon for a buddy and I to fill half a 5gal. bucket with shad from one toss of the throw net... and we suck at throwing that thing!! Walleye fishing sucked there last year once the water went up, we hardly caught any, even from my boat. Hopefully they'll be fatter this year.

And I gotta hook me one of those river 'skis!

Top Bottom