Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big turnip contest

Last brassica plot I had (2years ago), I pulled 4 purple tops and 4 ruttebeggies (sp?) for a friend of my fathers so he could make stew.

I pulled all baseball size cuz I figured the ones that were softball size would be woody just like big radishes. I gotta think if a guy cuts into that huge purpletop its going to be woody in the center.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last brassica plot I had (2years ago), I pulled 4 purple tops and 4 ruttebeggies (sp?) for a friend of my fathers so he could make stew.

I pulled all baseball size cuz I figured the ones that were softball size would be woody just like big radishes. I gotta think if a guy cuts into that huge purpletop its going to be woody in the center.</div></div>

Well I would assume that all turnips become the possession of the Grand Puba himself. Maybe he will cut a slice and let us know. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

greetings all..monday i was hanging a stand a on a new farm i can hunt (-25 wind chill burrrr), when i was done i wanted to check a small brassica plot that the deer ignored most of the season. they ate some of the greens but not the bulbs. we had a little rain this past weekend and some of the plot was uncovered from the snow. i was looking in the plot when i noticed some of the turnips were pretty big, then i saw this beast. it took some work with a claw hammer to remove it from the ground, and i just laughed when it poped loose. the plot is full of turnips this big. it is a small area (30 yards X 50 yards)that the farmer kept spreading manure on to build the soil back up. guess cow manure is the key to a big turnip. planted in early august.
wasn't sure if i was eligible for the contest (being a non res), but i sent dbltree the pics so we could all have a laugh..
we might not grow real big bucks up here, but the turnips aren't bad....
100% wild / 100% fair harvest big ol' U.P. turnips!!!

happy holidays to everyone and good luck hunting!!!!

john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GIRTH.....

that makes me hungry </div></div>

Not going to comment any further...

Rutabaga, lefse and lutefisk. UUuuummm.

Good Norwegians don't eat turnips. It's just not dignified.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom