Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bill Jordan/Realtree Team

S

SHEDHEAD

Has anyone heard the latest(past season) on what Jordan and his team has taken? They seem to do exceptionally well and just wandering if they got the "Barbwire Buck" in Kansas or any other monsters in Iowa. By the way, what ever happened to the monster typical 6x6 that was rattled in in western IA in their Monster Bucks IV or V video? Did anyone ever shoot it or find its sheds the following year?

The last I heard was Bill broke his leg this fall in Kansas setting up a ground blind. Stepped in a hole or something.

You're kidding?! I never heard anything about it. Anybody else heard on how they did? I heard a rumor that the Kansas "Barbwire Buck", the one featured in NA Whitetails' Weird Whitetails magazine, was taken this year. Does Jordan/Realtree have a website? Thanks again SLUDGE for the response.

Jordon website is Realtree.com
Chec it out! Alot of neet stuff and information along with updates on their season.

I was told that story by Ted Jaycox from the show on the Outdoor Channel, Inside the World of Hunting.
He was in my area filming in December. He took a nice green scored 165 typical, his biggest buck. It was cool getting a chance to spend time in a stand with a guy like that. Learned lots of groovy stuff.

Thanks, tped and sludge! I can't wait to see that 165" that Jaycox shot! Were you hunting the same area/land? And thanks for the Realtree website. Good responses and I appreciate it!

Shedhead, I looked on realtree.com the other day and there was a pic. of Bill on crutches, so it must be true.

Yea, a couple of my friends and I set the stands and did some scouting for Ted. My buddy filmed the day it was shot, I got to run the camera a couple of other times.

I haven't heard from him when the episode will air but when I do, I will pass it along.

I always thought I was good a processing a deer, I did 9 this year for friends and family (I didn't fill ANY tags this year) but watching a pro do it my garage was really cool. I learned a bunch of techniques and steps.

The guy had some awesome stories, mishaps, misses. Made me feel much better about the incident I had this year when my rest spring exploded on the biggest deer I ever a shot at.

Sludge,it sounds like you'll be working for these guys in the near future! Yeah, I would appreciate it if you let me know when the TV episode airs. By the way, how big was the buck that you didn't get to shoot because your rest exploded? Later and thanks again.

In the 165 range as well. The area I was at I can only bow hunt in, others Gun hunt it and two people also saw that buck. One said it was larger than that but that was their opinion. Best Part: They didn't get it. It made it though gun season.

As far as working for Inside the World of Hunting. I don't know, travel all around, hunting, meeting people, filming the hunts, getting all of your gear free and getting new stuff all the time.

I don't think that would be for me. I think I could only work like that for the next 20-40 years before I would get bored and have to do something else.

Hey shedhead, Nobody from Realtree shot the "barbwire" buck or any other really huge bucks this year. They have one from South Dakota that scores 172" and one shot by Lee Lakosky in Iowa that scores 176". Heard that it is great footage too. As for the 12 point that Greg Miller missed in Iowa on MB 4 (I beleive that is the buck you are referring to), nobody shot him or even found the sheds that I know of.

Boone, thanks for the insight!! Do you have an "in" with the Realtree Team or just an avid follower--or where did you get this info? I saw a picture of the South Dakota buck. I believe Bob Foulkrud shot it. The outfitter in SD was using the picture to promote his hunting operation. I also heard some interesting rumors surrounding that hunt but I'm considering them nothing more than rumors until I can watch the footage myself and make my own judgements based on what I've heard. Also, wasn't that big typical in MB 4 on Judd Cooney's leased land in Iowa? I've turkey hunted in that area and it sounded like everyone was looking for sheds there. Funny no one ever saw that buck again or found the sheds. Interesting stuff and thanks again for the info, Boone.

shedhead,
what rumors are you talking about? if you don't want to spread them any further i understand completely.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be part of the "rumor mill" since I wasn't even there. I want to wait and watch the video to see the set-up--that will tell me alot. I talked to a "kid" who claims he helped recover the buck and he told me some things that were hard for me to believe, but the video will verify if what he said is true. I know how it is to be on the bad side of spreading rumors--there are so many jealous people out there that as soon as you shoot a big buck or find a big shed, you must have been trespassing or poaching in order to get it because they didn't!! You know what I mean? So I don't want to spread things that I have no idea if they are true or not. I would hate to see an honest hunt with a great buck be tarnished. Sounds like the Zaft Buck is going through some of that now too. It's too bad that monster whitetails will bring out the "bad" in alot of people just because they didn't harvest the animal. Thanks for the interest thought micah3553!

yeah shedhead i know exactly what you mean. It always amazes me at how jealous people can get of you instead of just saying congratulations. Well i hope they are not true, i sure would like to think they aren't. talk to you later. maybe i'll see you at the classic.

Sounds good, micah3553. I appreciate your understanding and hopefully we can see more praise in the whitetail world and less jealousy. Later.

I'm from SD, and the story going around here is that Team Realtree had heard about a 190+ typical in the Aberdeen area, but the rancher told them take their money back to wherever. So they went down to the Lake Andes area and arrowed a 170+.

The big rumor is they shot the buck in the ass and it wasn't fatal, so they ran it down and shot it in the back of the head with a .22 pistol. This certainly could be a rumor, but having heard about it from numerous sources. You never know I guess, and it certainly won't be in the video.

sddeerhunter, are these just those everyday, run-of-the-mill type rumors sprouted from jealousy or do you feel that they are coming from some pretty reliable sources? In a way I can see how people would do anything to harvest a B&C whitetail because of how big bucks have turned into a "business", but on the other hand I have had pleny of run-ins with so-called "hunters" who would say anything to belittle your success because they didn't have any success. It sure makes for an interesting topic in the hunting world though doesn't it? Just look at all the rumors, stories, and accusations surrounding the Rompola Buck and we still don't anything more than we did when he shot it! Please elaborate more on what you have heard about the buck shot in SD if you find anything out. I'd be interested to know if the stories you are hearing are similar to what I've been hearing. So far, it seems like they sound pretty similar.

Well, I work in Sioux Falls, so I do get my fair share of guys in the store who seen the 'walking world record' or shot one at 600 yards. However, I've got my regulars that I've personally hunted with and know that they wouldn't blow smoke up my ass. Now the rumor about the .22 has been told to me by 5 or 6 guys since rifle season and it's been from both reliable and unreliable sources. One of the reliables guys said he talked to the guy who owned the land where they got the 170. So I'm inclined to belief him. The farmer could have been full of it however. I'm interested to hear if you guys down there are getting the same story. I'd be willing to bet that if there is more than one story that they're rumors, but if all the stories are similar to the one I'm hearing at work, then I'd have a different opinion. Taking big deer is definitely Jordan's business, and I have alot of respect for the man who shows his misses as well as his hits. However, if this did happen, then all of his credibility is gone and I would have a very hard time recommending his products to my customers.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in about this jealously thing. I'll admit that I get jealous about big deer, but only when the hunter doesn't bring it into me to see it. After he does that, I'll be the first one to shake his hand.

Finally, I saw South Dakota's possible new state record archery in December. A guy from Sioux Falls shot a massive 6x6 that I green scored 198 gross, 194 net. Truly impressive. Another buck was taken within 10 miles of that one that grossed at 194. Just alittle reminder to you Iowa boys that you don't have the market cornered on the 'big-ins'. Although, I'd be more than willing to pay the non-resident fee for a chance to hunt in the Mapleton area. Is the non-resident fee for slug season going up this year? I've never hunted down there so not sure what the cost was or what it's going to be.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by sddeerhunter (edited 02-20-2002).]

Let me clear this up once and for all so the rumors don't spin out of control. I beleive that the 172" that Boone was refering to that will be on Realtree's video that was shot in SD was shot by Mark Keiser. He made a perfect shot and the buck went down on camera in under 50 yards. The other SD buck that I beleive you are talking about was hit poorly and was jumped the next day and shot by the outfitter. This was not illegal since this occured during the rifle season and the outfitter put HIS license on the buck. Now whether or not the individual who hit the buck with his bow is going to claim that he shot and killed it or not I don't know. I can tell you that it will NOT appear on Realtree's video. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom