Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bird #2 Hits the Dirt

SEIowaDeerslayer

At about 7:00 this morning my 2012 turkey season came to an end. My alarm went off this morning at 2:30 because I had about a hour to drive to my spot, then about a 45 minute hike to a secluded piece of public land where I know the birds typically roost.

It was a pretty classic hunt, I had the blind setup by about 4:45, and like I expected I was within 100 yards of 3 birds by the time they started gobbling. At about 6:00 I heard them pitch down, gobbling at every call I threw at them. By 6:15 they had slowly worked their way into my setup. Like a lot of late season birds do, all of them skirted my decoys. My only shot opportunity was when the last bird came into an open area about 30 yard away. I drew my bow, settled in, and launched a Grim Reaper at him. I hit him good, not great, and he took off running down the ridgetop. I gave him about a half hour and went to look for him, and about 100 yards later saw my arrow vanes sticking up out of a brushy pile of downed timber. As I got closer the bird raised his head, so I threw another arrow into him to make sure he didn't go anywhere.

It feels great to be tagged out for the year. It was a tough season, lots of hours were put in but I hunted hard and got rewarded for it. Good luck to everyone who still has tags to fill.

23.5 lbs, 1" spurs, 11" beard. He was wet from the rain we received last night so I'm sure I got a little help on the weight. :D

The bird.
TurkeyHunt2012008.jpg

Me and the bird.
TurkeyHunt2012005.jpg

Wow, you are super dedicated. Waking up that early and making the long hike in. Congrats man, much deserved!

Awesome job! I hope the long-beard Gods shine on me this weekend as I'll finally get my hunt!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom