Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Black Powder

I just purchased a new CVA Optima last night and I was wondering what type of black powder you guys would recomend shooting? In that past I've shot Pyrodex and Triple 7. They were okay I just didnt like the ammount of residue that it left. Im wanting a cleaner burning powder.

Dealing with a muzzleloader means dealing with residue. I've never shot anything that didn't require a muzzle swab in between target shooting shots.

I know a few guys on here love the Savage muzzleloaders and don't clean them until season is over.

To answer your question, I use Triple 7 and just clean in between each shot.

Blackhorn 209! I statred shooting it 2 years ago and won't go back. Its a loose powder so if you want pellets, you'll have to stick with the pyrodex or 777 (or one of the others that makes pellets). Check the specs on your optima, namely the flash hole diameter in the breech plug. Blackhorn 209 takes a lot more heat than the others to light and they have a recommended flash hole diameter to make sure the job gets done. Also, it will require some hotter burning primers, shotgun primers NOT the muzzleloader primers. Make sure you read the directions on it. The blackhorn 209 burns hotter so its not a 1-to-1 replacement ratio. Where 150 grains is the max load for 777 and pyrodex, 120 grains is the max for blackhorn. The stuff burns amazingly clean! Very easy clean up, no stuck breech plugs, no crud rings. Check out some reviews online, you won't find too many bad ones.

Blackhorn 209 is the cats pajamas. Not only is it the cleanest stuff I've ever used but incredibly accurate. I'm shooting 120grains by volume with a 290 grain Barnes tez bullet. Tack driver out to distances I would never shoot a deer at.

You will want to buy the blackhorn 209 breech plug for the optima. The stock bteech plug is designed for pellets. I love BH209 as well. I have shot dozens of times in a row with no cleaning or drop in accuracy.

You honestly couldn't pay me to use anything other than Blackhorn 209.
It is the best thing to happen to muzzleloading since inline 209 ignition.

Well Id say its worth investing in with so much good feedback. Have any of you guys ever shot Jim Shockey Gold powder? Im hearing lots of good about it too. Also a loose powder. Either way I will be switching to loose powder. I never have liked the pellets. Too inconsistant

Looks like my link didnt work. Its listed on the CVA website for $20.95 ea. I've seen them at Scheels and Cabelas

I can't remember where I read it but the people who tried Shockeys did NOT like it. I think I may have read it on a Cabelas or maybe BP online review.

I can't remember where I read it but the people who tried Shockeys did NOT like it. I think I may have read it on a Cabelas or maybe BP online review.

I'll second this. I have not used it, but heard it's very inconsistent.

Another Blackhorn 209 user here too. I just picked up the Blackhorn rated breech plug at Cabelas for 19.95.

Top Bottom