Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn 209 no accuracy

Ok so I'm trying this stuff out. No matter what I throw at it I can not make it work. I've tried 120gr, 110 gr , 100gr, 90gr . Barnes Tmz, Barnes T ez , 290gr and 250gr . Federal primers Winchester primers. Nothing shoots 3" - 4" groups . Any suggestions? Yes my scope is tight and all that stuff . Maybe my gun CVA Accura MR .

Last edited:
Ok so I'm trying this stuff out. No matter what I throw at it I can not make it work. I've tried 120gr, 110 gr , 100gr, 90gr . Barnes Tmz, Barnes T ez , 290gr and 250gr . Federal primers Winchester primers. Nothing shoots 3" - 4" groups . Any suggestions? Yes my scope is tight and all that stuff . Maybe my gun CCA Accura MR .
Thinking in rear view.... did anything ever shoot ok through it? Like, are u saying pyrodex was ok and just BH is the issue? If both r issue (say u shot pyrodex with same issue) - bet u got defect in barrel or something mechanical is off. For example- back 2 years ago I had bergarra barrel (cva owns them) & same thing- was all over the place. Sent in barrel & they gave me new one from factory defect. I remember “something” was funny looking when I looked through barrel.

Clean barrel? One or two shot dirty barrel? What are you using for a rest? How is the trigger pull? If memory serves me correctly, BH can be fussy about the size of the flash hole in your breech plug (0.032" I believe). At least be sure flash hole is clean. PLEASE don't be offended but if all else fails, you might try letting someone else (with known ability) shoot the gun? Again, don't mean to offend, but (too often) that can be the problem. Otherwise, as the good Mr. Sligh has alluded to, you may just have a crap barrel... That happens too. Good luck!

Thinking in rear view.... did anything ever shoot ok through it? Like, are u saying pyrodex was ok and just BH is the issue? If both r issue (say u shot pyrodex with same issue) - bet u got defect in barrel or something mechanical is off. For example- back 2 years ago I had bergarra barrel (cva owns them) & same thing- was all over the place. Sent in barrel & they gave me new one from factory defect. I remember “something” was funny looking when I looked through barrel.
Nothing has ever really shot great out of this gun . I can get 2" groups with 2 pellets of Triple 7 magnums and 290gr Barnes TEZ . If I'm shooting Triple 7 I clean after every shot. BH I was shooting 4-6 times before cleaning. Shooting off a Lead Sled , 2.5-3 lb trigger pull .

Clean barrel? One or two shot dirty barrel? What are you using for a rest? How is the trigger pull? If memory serves me correctly, BH can be fussy about the size of the flash hole in your breech plug (0.032" I believe). At least be sure flash hole is clean. PLEASE don't be offended but if all else fails, you might try letting someone else (with known ability) shoot the gun? Again, don't mean to offend, but (too often) that can be the problem. Otherwise, as the good Mr. Sligh has alluded to, you may just have a crap barrel... That happens too. Good luck!
I think I'm cleaning the breech plug very well. I clean the flash hole with a torch tip cleaner and the primer end with 1/8 inch drill bit (by hand) like BH recommends.

Main question is do you have the BH209 breech plug? And other question would be the clean vs. dirty barrel.
I have no problem cleaning between shoots as that's what I do when I shoot Triple 7. Should I clean between every shot of BH ? I haven't been because they say you don't need to.

I always shoot through a dirty barrel. Shots through a clean are different than through a dirty barrel on mine (Not much a few inches) but all shots through a dirty barrel are more accurate in my CVA

Try different bullets... My 1st muzzy was a CVA and it shot almost everything like crap... But it and most other guns Ive worked with since have loved Knight Ted Hots

I never clean my barrel till the end of season shooting BH 209. Is the weights of powder you are mentioning by volume or weighed out on a scale? I shoot Winchester 209's just fine. That said the others I think have it figured out. New barrel.

I never clean my barrel till the end of season shooting BH 209. Is the weights of powder you are mentioning by volume or weighed out on a scale? I shoot Winchester 209's just fine. That said the others I think have it figured out. New barrel.
They are buy volume. Yea I'm about ready to junk this thing. Really thinking about a Knight.

Haha I have the same gun and similar problems... I swear the Accura is the biggest sales gimmick. Mine shoots just as well as my buddys cheap Optima. I tried the blackhorn route but just gave up and went back to pellets. Shoots about a 2 inch group if I clean it every round. Pain in the ass but thats what I gotta do .

I have no problem cleaning between shoots as that's what I do when I shoot Triple 7. Should I clean between every shot of BH ? I haven't been because they say you don't need to.
They are buy volume. Yea I'm about ready to junk this thing. Really thinking about a Knight.
CVA's seem to have a slightly larger barrel than other Ml's, might try a couple different Harvester sabots to get a tighter fit. I use Barnes in my 45 Encore, but I throw the sabots away and use Harvester sabots. I know they have different colored sabots which indicate a different thickness for a tighter fit. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having trouble with the actual Barnes bullets. 120 grains by volume will be a max load for blackhorn which some guns don't like.

First glaring thought in my mind is it's hot outside right now. I've had horrible experiences trying to site in and shoot good groups with muzzleloader in hot weather. One or two shots may be okay, but much more than that and it goes south quick. If that's not the issue, my experience with a shooting 3 separate accura V2's and BH209 have all been a little slightly different. My dads V2 has a tighter barrel than mine or my brothers. Weird. He's shooting Barnes TEZ and shoot, reload, repeat works really well for his gun. My gun on the other hand (I'm a little more anal about my groups than he is) like a bore snake through the barrel after every shot. When I first got the gun I couldn't get anything to group better than about 2" at 100. I finally transfered over to Barnes TMZ and was still shooting about 2+" groups. Decent but not what I wanted. Through a lot of trial and error I ended up finding that a cleanish barrel did the trick. I just pull the breech plug and run a bore snake from back to front after every shot. That really pulled my groups together. Again though, warm weather can be a killer for muzzy's. Make sure that's not your issue. If it is, it's a simple fix.

just because your scope is tight doesnt mean you dont have a bad reticle. I had a brand new scope once that was all over the place sent in and sure enough it was bad. What i would do is shoot the BH clean barrel, then shoot pellets or pyrodex and see if there is any difference. I highly doubt its the powder. Something as silly as not seating the bullet all the way? I shoot a clean barrel with every shot mainly because my barrel will be clean when I go to hunt. You can call the scope manufacturer and ask them how to test your scope. its something like putting it against a mirror and trying to adjust it, i cant remember....barrel could be junk...lots of different options..

Have you looked through the barrel to see if everything looks clean and consistent? Make sure the rings are not putting stress on the scope. Make sure the scope base is tight with the barrel. Try another scope. Try more primers and bullets. If you’re interested, I can send you a few .503 473 gr cast bullets to try - maybe she likes soft lead.

just because your scope is tight doesnt mean you dont have a bad reticle. I had a brand new scope once that was all over the place sent in and sure enough it was bad. What i would do is shoot the BH clean barrel, then shoot pellets or pyrodex and see if there is any difference. I highly doubt its the powder. Something as silly as not seating the bullet all the way? I shoot a clean barrel with every shot mainly because my barrel will be clean when I go to hunt. You can call the scope manufacturer and ask them how to test your scope. its something like putting it against a mirror and trying to adjust it, i cant remember....barrel could be junk...lots of different options..
I've put 3 different scopes on this gun all the same results. I have what I feel is the best equipment, DNZ mount Vortex Viper HS scope.

Top Bottom