Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

blackhorn 209

Has anyone tried using this powder with the stock breech plug? What will it hurt if you do? Thinking about trying it but my gun shoots just fine with pellets and I don't mind cleaning it.

Depends on your gun I think. It won't hurt anything as far as shooting it goes. Your issue will likely come from the ignition, or lack thereof. Blackhorn 209 has a much hotter flash point than pyrodex, 777, etc. and typically requires a larger diameter flash hole and hot 209 primers. Maybe research your stock plug and see what the flash holed diameter is. BH209 recommends a flash hole with a 0.030"-0.035" diameter.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/

If you do start shooting it, remember that BH209 is alot more aggressive than the others. 120gr. is max, not 150 like you may be used to.

As long as the flash hole is clean and you're using a tight fitting sabot with a hot primer, I never had issues with a normal size flash hole. Get the larger flash hole if you can though or have a gunsmith drill out your current one. Don't do it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

Everybody needs to member that bh 209 is measured by volume not weight. And that 100 grains by volume is a touch more than a standard 3 pellet load. 120 grains of bh209 produces a huge amount of recoil. I shoot 100 grains by volume with a 250 grain Barnes. It chronos right at 1875 fps. 120 grains by volume and a 290 grain Barnes reads 1871 fps. Ddepends on how far you want the bullet to go after it goes through the deer I guess. 100-110 grains by volume will kill anything on the planet with the right bullet.

Depends on your gun I think. It won't hurt anything as far as shooting it goes. Your issue will likely come from the ignition, or lack thereof. Blackhorn 209 has a much hotter flash point than pyrodex, 777, etc. and typically requires a larger diameter flash hole and hot 209 primers. Maybe research your stock plug and see what the flash holed diameter is. BH209 recommends a flash hole with a 0.030"-0.035" diameter.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/

If you do start shooting it, remember that BH209 is alot more aggressive than the others. 120gr. is max, not 150 like you may be used to.
Just a reminder that loose 777 is also hooter than the 777 pellets and pyrodex powder so 120 gr is considered a maximum load for loose 777. The blackhorn cleans up with gun solvent like you use on your other guns. I haven't had any issues with my Encore, but some with CVA's are the ones having trouble with the flash hole getting fouled and not igniting the powder.

No problems at all with my omega and stock breech plug. I shoot 110 grains bh and 290 gr. barnes. Shoots lights out, cleans ridiculously easy. Kicks like a mule, though!

The question I would like an answer to is : even though I have zero issues with ignition as is, would I gain anything by going to a breech plug with a larger diameter flash hole? More complete powder burn, maybe?

I doubt u would gain anything. They recommend magnum primers also and honestly I've never even tried one. I shoot standard cci 209's with my factory encore breech plug and I've never had a single hangfire or failure.

Just a reminder that loose 777 is also hooter than the 777 pellets and pyrodex powder so 120 gr is considered a maximum load for loose 777. The blackhorn cleans up with gun solvent like you use on your other guns. I haven't had any issues with my Encore, but some with CVA's are the ones having trouble with the flash hole getting fouled and not igniting the powder.

In regards to triple 7, the last time I looked, some of the gun manufacturers said 150 grain max, loose or pellets. Also, the last time I looked, Hodgdon said 100 grains max.

1/8???????

Dannyboy asked
"The question I would like an answer to is : even though I have zero issues with ignition as is, would I gain anything by going to a breech plug with a larger diameter flash hole? More complete powder burn, maybe?"

And i said no, just de-carbon it with an 1/8" drill bit.

Knight and TC use 1/8" drill bit, factory QRBP For CVA used 3mm or #32, blackhorn209 replacement plug for CVA uses 1/8"
bp_status.jpg

bp_diagram.jpg

In regards to triple 7, the last time I looked, some of the gun manufacturers said 150 grain max, loose or pellets. Also, the last time I looked, Hodgdon said 100 grains max.
Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below.
This is off their website. I've read the same from other forums about 777, but I've only used the pellets. I know some ML's say 150 max gr as my encore says on the barrel and in the book, but they are talking about regular blackpowder or subs like pyrodex. You can shoot 3 777 pellets which is equal to 150 gr of pyrodex or blackpowder, but as it states above on their website the loose is 15% hotter than other powders.

I shoot BH209 in my CVA V2, and I did have some hang fires. By cleaning with drill bit I did solve most of the problems but sometimes I would still get hang fire. The CVA Breach Plug is almost completly flat, and the seems to be the root of the problem. I switched to the BH209 breach plug and have had zero problems thus far, well worth the 25 or 30 bucks.

From what I had read/seen it is really only the CVA breach plug design that caused the issues.

Dannyboy asked
"The question I would like an answer to is : even though I have zero issues with ignition as is, would I gain anything by going to a breech plug with a larger diameter flash hole? More complete powder burn, maybe?"

And i said no, just de-carbon it with an 1/8" drill bit.

Knight and TC use 1/8" drill bit, factory QRBP For CVA used 3mm or #32, blackhorn209 replacement plug for CVA uses 1/8"
bp_status.jpg

bp_diagram.jpg

Thanks I did that on my TC and was surprised how much was in there.

Top Bottom