Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn 209

bones_c

I have a muzzleloader back home the I shoot pyrodex pellets from. I've seen a lot of talk on this forum about blackhorn 209. I've looked up their website but can someone explain the benefits to me? Also how do you use it? I've only shot my muzzy about 10 times at the range.

Honestly I don't remember. Sounds bad lol I have not been home for almost 5 years. It's at my moms. I want to say its a TC. But not for sure

If it's an older CVA then you will need a different breech plug from Blackhorn to make sure it ignites like it should. TC's should be ok. You can load many times without swabbing and it doesn't effect accuracy like pyrodex or 777. You need to use a 209 shotgun primer and not one made for ML, Federal, CCI Mags is the top 2 recommended by blackhorn. Cleans up with regular gun solvent, don't use water or you'll have a mess. 120 gr is considered a mag load of blackhorn and most are either using 100 or 110 gr. There is also less smoke from this powder compared to 777 and pyrodex and I've actually seen the deer drop in my scope compared to only seeing smoke before.

If it uses 209 primers then you should be set. Use a hot primer and like other have said make sure your flash hole is big enough. 120 grains is the max charge with Blackhorn. Above that and you are risking limbs.

Ok thanks I will have to check it out... Does scheels in cf sell this? I havnt been home for a couple years so I don't know. Will be home in a few weeks.

They should but it's only sold in loose form so you'll need a powder measure too. If it's an older CVA it might shoot ok for several shots but you will need a small drill bit to clean the flash hole out using your fingers after a few shots.

Top Bottom