Blaster (Iowawhitetails poster child for safty!) NOT

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Blaster, Oct 7, 2015.

1. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

Man that is nasty,mould have been worse though. I bought som life lines this year for the first time.

Question, I used a linemans belt while putting up the sticks,stands and to get the lifeline looped around the tree. Is the linemans belt really going to sAve you from a fall?

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. ironwood

ironwood Active Member

So sorry to hear the bad news. I nearly landed on my youngest son, as i fell I watched him scrable to get out of the way. I was just releave he made it. I was able to stand up and walk away. I am very glad you are going to heal and be able to put this behind you.

4. Liv4Rut

Liv4Rut Active Member

Rough luck there but definitely hear the message!! I hope you recover soon!!

5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Sorry dude. Cutting ur line- wow- ur head was doing right thing- that's freaky bad luck! Safety lines still have straps unless u use ropes. Maybe ropes are better to connect from harness to safety rope. But still- my harness even has a strap so maybe can't avoid straps. That's insane and I can see it happening.
    I feel 30 feet while hanging and didn't even have a strap to begin with so u r still pretty smart. That's "really bad luck". Dude- just like when I looked at my mangled freak hand shattered in pieces and coming out 90 degrees wrong way- I was actually really happy cause I thought I was paralyzed. Be THANKFUL for ur broken ankle cause I know some others who are paralyzed or worse- dead. U will live to hunt again and teach a lesson to others. Sorry for ur horrible & freaky fall and best wishes on recovery. Good thing to always bring up for folks, real life examples that makes those with common sense & a little desire- to be more safe this season. Hope u get back at it soon.

6. Rich77

Rich77 Member

Question, I used a linemans belt while putting up the sticks,stands and to get the lifeline looped around the tree. Is the linemans belt really going to sAve you from a fall?

It may not save you fully. Cuts and scrapes are alot easier to deal with than broken bones/paralysis.
    I use my linesmans belt until I encounter a limb, at that point I will wrap another rope above my head and use it as a short 5' lifeline while I unhook and move my linesmans rope above any limbs I might come across. I also do the same when I step onto the stand as I'm hooking up the lifeline. Is it a pain in the ass... yes, it sure is! I can't imagine the phone call to wife telling her that I fell if I'm luck enough to be able to use a phone.
    If it takes me an hour to hang a stand completely safe and tied off from the ground up and all the way back down then so be it. I've been through the surgeries and rehab and all that fun stuff from an injury very similar to blaster. It sucks, it hurts and if it can be avoided then why not take those measures.
    We all have family/ friends/ people that rely on us to come home in one piece, it's not just about us. We owe it to someone to be safe and even though I've never had a treestand mishap or fall it continues to happen season after season and people are hurt and killed every year. It sucks that it takes a tragedy for some of us to open out eyes to being safe. Gravity wins 99% of the time.
    I hope everyone is safe and has a great season!

7. SaskGuy

SaskGuy Active Member

Whoa, that looks nasty!!
    Glad you are okay and on the mend. Thanks for the reminder.

8. ShedderKG

ShedderKG Active Member

Dang man... get well soon! Hope you have some ground blinds set up :)

9. tslc

tslc PMA Member

10. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Saw that story. Ouch. Glad you will be ok.

11. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Soooo, who got to carry you outta the woods?

You think you got problems now? It came this close (hold your thumb and forefinger together) to being an open fracture. Always something to be thankful for.

Heal well and I hope the remote has fresh batteries in it.

12. turtlshell

turtlshell PMA Member

Dang man...that's nasty, but sure glad your son didn't have to witness something worse. God speed on the recovery

13. Shovelbuck

Shovelbuck Active Member

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you heal fast.

14. NWBuck

NWBuck PMA Member

Sorry to hear about this Blaster, but glad you're here to tell us about it. My son (NWHunter) had a very similar break on 9/11/15 in a Friday night football game. He only has 8 screws and a plate . Was also badly dislocated. No weight bearing for 6 weeks, and he's a little over half way there. I'm currently waiting for him to text me to come pick him up in a ground blind...he's good with crutches. Keep your chin up, better times ahead!!

15. Skully

Skully PMA Member

Wow Derek! That was a close one, could have been much worse! Glad you are on the mend!

16. Blaster

Blaster PMA Member

Sounds like we have the exact same brake. Mine was also badly dislocated. Sounds like blind hunting is the way to go!

17. Highmark

Highmark PMA Member

Glad your OK. All my stands have minimum 2 straps.

18. 4 Buck

4 Buck Active Member

Hope your on the fast track to recovery!

19. risto2351

risto2351 Active Member

Sorry to hear that Derek. Make sure you thank the Man above that you are still with us. Hope you heal quickly my friend.