Bowhunting_Finatic shed thread

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Bowhunting_Finatic, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Bowhunting_Finatic

Bowhunting_Finatic Member

Hello everyone! I have read through the Iowawhitetail forums for the last several years and have finally created my first account. I enjoy seeing everyone's success and am excited to be able to share mine on here! I'm a college student at the University of Iowa but make my way home on the weekends to spend some time in the woods.

I found my first shed of 2019 on a field edge on February 3 (old 2pt). The next weekend i laid off the fields and did a lot of glassing to see how many deer were still holding. I seen a few pretty good bucks that weekend including a mid 140 class 10. He had been eating silage right off the road on one of the pieces of ground i hunt along with 40-50 more deer. I came back this past weekend and scooped up 4 fresh antlers including the 10 point who has a super cool dagger on his left side. All this snow and cold temps will have the antlers covered for the next couple weeks, but i'm excited to get out and match him up!
    fullsizeoutput_280.jpeg fullsizeoutput_27e.jpeg IMG_0886.JPG

Sligh1, meyeri, Kaleb and 6 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. bob-bowhunter

bob-bowhunter Member

The dagger shed is sweet! lot's of mass, Congrats!

Bowhunting_Finatic likes this.
  4. LYON

LYON PMA Member

Welcome to the world of posting! Thanks for sharing with us as well and good luck this year!

5. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Nice finds. If that dagger buck needs a name, Letter Opener is what hit my mind.

6. Bowhunting_Finatic

571B0006-3952-4501-B1CF-4A62ACE06295.jpeg Found a small one Friday and a couple today helping a buddy walk a cornfield. Lucky finds need this snow to disappear!

203ntyp likes this.
  7. Bowhunting_Finatic

8B656F37-FFBB-46EF-A3A8-08725C2066FB.jpeg 94E272AD-CCF9-4A51-8183-11863D25C717.jpeg 17794940-1781-4D1D-B4DA-D4B866DA3B88.jpeg 3 more today. Still lots of snow but got lucky! Spotted just the tip of the brow tine and g2 on the 5pt side. I was very surprised when they were not a match set, I’ve only found antlers this close together that were not a match 1 other time. Then to add on to my luck I found a small antler in a creek. Why I decided to look in the creek is beyond me but It’s a first for me!

8. Bowhunting_Finatic

Few more this weekend on public land near Iowa city. 4pt side has a pretty legit 24” beam! EACAE10E-EBFC-436B-98DA-E11E9CC611E6.jpeg

Sligh1 and 203ntyp like this.
  9. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Great finds & pics!!! Yes- daggers gonna be a smoker !!!

10. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

I've found the same with two non matching antlers close by. I would assume it happens when bucks play spar and it knocks em loose. Nice finds!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. Bowhunting_Finatic

I've been absolutely swamped with school work this week so i haven't been able to post much about my shed season. I have some awesome stories and can't wait to share them with everyone!

12. Bowhunting_Finatic

159 miles on the boots and 78 sheds to my collection. a buddy and I spent spring back hammering away and he found around 60 antlers as well. Seen some amazing things and have some crazy stories to share! fullsizeoutput_2c0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c6.jpeg IMG_1064.JPG BFEABA9F-035E-406E-833F-5B695179B95B.jpg 4A20584E-C081-426E-B919-0E8189499F61.JPG

13. Bowhunting_Finatic

The true highlight of my season came when we were shed hunting a property in southern Iowa and i found a massive antler off the road in the neighbors yard! I talk to the landowner and he was hesitant but let me go get it. Turned out to be a massive 5 point side that the guy who leased the property had the other side to. We worked out a deal and i got an awesome match set out of the deal. The guy ended up being super cool and actually harvested the largest typical in the world in 2017. Invited me over for lunch and showed me his trophy room which was very impressive. The 2019 shed season was one I will never forget and look forward to next year! fullsizeoutput_2a3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2a1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2a0.jpeg

14. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

Got some more pics of "#8 on the day is a good one"? That thing looks like a tank. Usually pics make sheds not look as impressive, but that thing looks crazy big. Would like to see the brow a bit more.

15. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

Awesome!

16. Bowhunting_Finatic

It was a nice antler but the pictures help it. Lacks tine length scored 69" and some change. Not bad for a mainframe 4 point side.
    fullsizeoutput_2e6.jpeg

sep0667 and 4 Buck like this.
  17. bob-bowhunter

bob-bowhunter Member

Wow, you picked up some nice antlers this year. Congrats on a great shed season!

18. LYON

LYON PMA Member

Heck of a year! Congrats on the success man!

19. Bowhunting_Finatic

If anyone has instagram you can shoot over to my hunting page and check out my videos of my shed season. CV_Sportsman

20. Bowhunting_Finatic

Got lucky on my turkey hunt this weekend. Found a match set to an old buck we wanted to harvest. Short tines with a lot of mass. fullsizeoutput_2ef.jpeg