Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassica Food Plots

sooner308

Planted a 1/2 acre Arrow Seed brassica food plot and it came out terrific. Put it in a open travel corridor known to have deer coming through frequently. I know that it needed a good frost to "sweeten" them up and we have now had a few. Problem is, they really don't seem interested in it yet. Had a few nibblers and that's about it. Surrounding fields have been disced up with just a couple fields of bean stubble remaining. I am curious as to what others have for experience with brassicas like turnips, rape and radish? I didn't expect them to pile in by the 100's, but thought I might see slightly more activity by now. Just getting going with food plots and very much a rookie, so any info would be great.

I'm sure others will chime in, but historically it might take deer a little bit to figure out or to start liking it. It is not uncommon for deer to hardly hit brassicas on the first year.

I too have heard from a variety of people that local deer populations may take 1-3 years to "acclimate" to using brassicas as a primary food source. Apart from that, and FWIW, I have seen less attention on our brassica plots this year than in the past and "our" deer are well used to brassicas. My theory is that we have had barely any rain for weeks now and those plants are not as succulent as normal. They look dry and stunted compared to other years...so I think the deer may be preferring other food sources because of that.

Maybe that is what you are seeing too???

I too have heard from a variety of people that local deer populations may take 1-3 years to "acclimate" to using brassicas as a primary food source. Apart from that, and FWIW, I have seen less attention on our brassica plots this year than in the past and "our" deer are well used to brassicas. My theory is that we have had barely any rain for weeks now and those plants are not as succulent as normal. They look dry and stunted compared to other years...so I think the deer may be preferring other food sources because of that.

Maybe that is what you are seeing too???
They are definitely feeding somewhere else. I don't feel they are starved of moisture and I knew that it was a chance going with a brassica mix there. I am opening up more area this spring and I am going to rotate the brassica plot and get some clover and oats put in and put both plots side by side for more variety.

These were just a few.

Attachments

• IMG_7322.JPG
    IMG_7322.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have had two different 1st year "turnip" plots get hit very well. I have continued to put beans, turnips, and or rye in them each year for 5 years. Good results on all combos until this year. My lo land plot got ruined by flooding, so no mystery there. However my high and dry plot grew great but I have not seen a single doe or fawn on it this year (5 sits). Only a couple cruising buck passing over it. Last week I figured it out...found a whole family of bobcats living right off the edge. Male/ female and two kittens. Not saying this is you issue, because it could just be the case of the deer needing to find it as I have heard of that being the case for several people, but it could be some other weird factor.

I'm now in my 3rd year of planting brassicas, turnips & radish as part of the Dbltree rotation. The deer have yet to get after that portion of the plots more than a passing nibble. They like the clover, rye, oats and forage peas and spend a fair amount of time in a closeby winter wheat patch but not so much into the brassica mix. Will give them maybe one more year then do something else with that portion of the plot.

I'm now in my 3rd year of planting brassicas, turnips & radish as part of the Dbltree rotation. The deer have yet to get after that portion of the plots more than a passing nibble. They like the clover, rye, oats and forage peas and spend a fair amount of time in a closeby winter wheat patch but not so much into the brassica mix. Will give them maybe one more year then do something else with that portion of the plot.

Turnips mixed with other late season brassica food sources are by my favorite late season sources, but, the deer do need to take a liking to them. When they do, they become a favorite for them. Mine have not been hit much yet, but before the end of the season, I am counting on them getting hammered.

Turnips mixed with other late season brassica food sources are by my favorite late season sources, but, the deer do need to take a liking to them. When they do, they become a favorite for them. Mine have not been hit much yet, but before the end of the season, I am counting on them getting hammered.

Not disagreeing, but around here corn & soybeans win out. Hoping that the local deer will take a liking to the brassica mix soon. ;) Turnip & radish sure seems to be good for the soil.

To warm last year. Watched the deer every night go to winter wheat across the road. Turnips to me work the best with bad weather. I did change my mix this year to purple top turnips,forage turnips,and forage chicory. Did some groundhog radish also. They have been steady on this mix but pretty sure it is because of the chicory. My deer know what a turnip is because my neighbor has put them in corn stubble for his cows. I too am banking on turnips in later season.

Depends very much on the area. We have had a few get pounded from year 1 and another area take 4 years before they took off. Keep at it and add some additional food to the mix.

I planted purple tops 3 years out of the last 4. First 2 years they were barely touched till about February when there wasn't much else to eat. Last year the deer were in them from October through February. I wonder if the rain amounts affect the taste to deer like they do to us. Some years the garden turnips are 'hotter' than others.

Top Bottom