Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

brassica planting

EatSleepHunt

Need some opinions. I have a one acre food plot. Half soybeans half clover. Clover is doing
ok beans are doing great so far(we need rain)I was going to broadcast brassicas( big and beasty) into the beans,figuring the beans would be hammered by deer. But this is the first year in six years I've got beans all around me. There is only a few bare spots in the beans. Is it worth putting brassicas in? The beans are doing great now but they won't hold up long after the others are harvested. I'm scared I won't have any late season food. Any ideas would
be great.

Just judging from the size alone, I'd definitely recommend overseeding. A half acre of beans won't last long especially after they dry down. The problem is, the ideal time to plant brassicas is now, and you don't want to overseed when the beans have canopy because your seed won't get any sun and won't grow. Your best option would be to wait until the beans start yellowing and then overseed with winter rye. You could till under your clover now and plant the big & beasty. if you overseed your beans with the big & beasty when the beans start to yellow, your brassicas won't amount to much.

Top Bottom