Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas 2- 4 -D question

ironwood

Last year I had weed control issues with my brassica plots so this year I wanted to do things a little different. Instead of tilling spreadiong and packing at one time I roto tilled my plot around the 1st of July with the intention of allowing weeds to green up then burn them back with Roundup. It just occurred to me that I may save some money by simply using 2-4-D rather than RU. I can do some additional spraying for weeds with this 2-4-D tank mix as well. The question is can I spray growing weeds in my seed bed with 2-4-D then come right back, spread and pack my brassicas? If I use crop oil will it add any pre-emerge effect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is can I spray growing weeds in my seed bed with 2-4-D then come right back, spread and pack my brassicas? If I use crop oil will it add any pre-emerge effect </div></div>

Yes...2-4D is only going to work via the leaves and shouldn't have any impact on newly planted seed that has not emerged.

No...crop oil will only add to effectivness of the herbicide by helping it stick/adhere to foliage.

2-4D will kill brassicas if applied to growing brassica plants!

Nannyslayer may want to add his thoughts because I'm certainly no expert on herbicides. I know just enough to be...dangerous! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If you are correct Paul then I am thinking this is a much smarter approach that using Roundup. I was afraid it may effect the emergence of a new planting. I hope you are correct.

For those of you who do roto tilling for your fall brassica plots how are you gaining a quality weed controll? The one year I was able to drill them the weed controll was not an issue at all. But you start turning all of that dirt and the weeds readly pop.

What type of weeds? Broadleaves or grasses? I've never had a weed problem in brassicas because they usually crowd the weeds out.

A no-till drill does work nice so you don't have to stir up a hornets nest so to speak.

If you have grasses you can spray with Select after the fact but there are residual options also.

Dual Magnum 2 is a powerful residual herbicide and if you check back in the brassica thread I posted a link to using herbicides in sugar beets. It has both pre and post emgergent options.

Little pricey perhaps but you might split some with someone or use it over several years.

Dual Magnum 2 really impressed me when I used it on corn and beans /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

You will be fine with the 2-4 D, as long as your plot is not up. You may want to spike your mix with some round up, it will be more effect and if you have any grasses coming up.

Just as precaution, I would spray, then plant. This time of year, seed can emerge quickly, and if there is just a little bit of it up, the 2-4 D will smoke it.

I ended up with no emergence of my brassica mix when broadcasted and packed two days after spraying. I am learning the hard way on much of my plotting efforts. The label is posted right here in this forum and if I would have taken the time to read it I would have choosen another practise. I think I will try to harrow in another seeding this week as I believe I should be good now.

Ironwood, I just read your post and you may have found out the hard way not to spray 2,4-D and plant. For those that haven't read the lable you should wait at least a week after spraying 2,4-D before planting. Phenoxy's do have residual that will harm legumes and brassica if planted too close to spraying.

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ironwood, I just read your post and you may have found out the hard way not to spray 2,4-D and plant. For those that haven't read the lable you should wait at least a week after spraying 2,4-D before planting. Phenoxy's do have residual that will harm legumes and brassica if planted too close to spraying.

Tim </div></div>

Well at least we know that's not a viable option... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I guess when I think of spraying something before tilling...it's to kill sod grasses. Broadleaves are going to come right back up anyway unless you spray a residual herbicide.

Roundup...2-4D...it's not going to prevent new broadleaves from germinating...you need something like Dual Magnum II to do that.

Thanks for sharing something that didn't work however so others don't make the same mistake...

Maybe you have noticed that I post and make plenty of mistakes. I don't mind people knowing I have screwed up. I am just going to get back after it, what ever it maybe.

With rain forcasted for the end of the week I intend to replant some Pasja turnips and some Forage Ultra Fall plot mix into the vacant acres. Harrow, spead, harrow, rain....I hope.

Knuckle Head signing out,

Ironwood,

Everyone makes knuckle head mistakes. Mine this year was planting RR beans with my corn. I didn't check the bag on my corn prior to spraying with Roundup. My corn died about a week later. 2,4-D is a very good product. Most people don't know however that it does have a planting restriction. Hopefully others may learn from what my boys call my "Homer Simpson moments"

Tim

Did you spray 24D LV4 or amine? I guess I should have made it more clear what I was talking about. We spray 24D lv4 at a 1/2 pt per acre rate, and soybeans are usually right after it, most cases the farmer is pulling into the field right after we get done spraying. If you used LV4, and followed rates, you shouldn't have had a problem, amine however, will cause you some grief.

Top Bottom