Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Sometimes the stars line up.
picture.php

It was to wet to till. I had sprayed it with roundup and just went out and broadcast the seed on July 20. No fertilizer or nothing. Followed clover so nitrogen must have been there. Best I ever raised.
picture.php

And they know what a brassica is. Neighbor has put some on before in his corn for his cattle in winter.
picture.php

Yes. That will do it. 16-20 oz clethodim & labeled rate for crop oil. Per acre. Higher water volume helps per acre with clethodim. Saturate grass.
Goatman- great stuff!!!! I'm actually gonna "walk the walk" next year and follow clover with no N added. (Plenty of P&K always been applied and PH is right).... Most the clovers are fixing 75-125 lbs per acre of N. That's plenty! Of course helps to keep it mowed and pick the right clovers but absolutely should be plenty. U look at stats on clovers like Balansa, Alice white, Durana, Kopu II, etc- plenty. To be safe I've always added some urea but really it's not needed. I'm doing the same for Egyptian wheat, etc. Not comfortable enough yet to rotate clover to corn (may not be quite enough N) but ur example is another that it's got plenty of N. Looking great!

It was following alice white,kopuII, and giant ladino. Not sure about following red clover. Probably wouldn't have had so many plants except it was so wet. I guess you could call it hydroponic turnips. Not many weeds either. I sprayed for grass and did have some velvetleaf. I heard of another guy playing with spraying clover,broadcasting seed, and then mowing. I think I will play with that also in the future.

I have very successfully over seeded two of my brassica plots again this yr. lots of golf ball sized turnips in the middle with some not even producing a bulb, and softball sized turnips on the edges where I didn't over do it. Need to make sure I under seed instead of over seed, kind of frustrating

Last edited:
I have very successfully over seeded two of my brassica plots again this yr. lots of golf ball sized turnips in the middle with some not even producing a bulb, and softball sized turnips on the edges where I didn't over do it. Need to make sure I under seed instead of over seed, kind of frustrating

Yes Sir. These were on the end row and in a corner. Overseeded yes. Some spots tall and green. You can see where more organic matter is needed to help hold moisture. Good chance for rain coming it looks like. Finishing up with the dbltree mix this afternoon.

These were planted Aug 1 and they look great! Turnips are baseball size or bigger...Radishes look great too!

Now i wont sit here and say the whole field looks like this but most of it does. We got just over an inch of rain the morning after i planted so some of the seeds washed together and those areas are not looking nearly as well but all in all they look good i would say

And for the sake of conversation, I disced field, spread 75 lbs of actual nitrogen, hand spread seed and went over it all with a harrow

I RARELY see fields that are consistent for size, quality of plants, etc. Especially during early growing stages. Most the time they even out later. It's crazy how little it takes in soil, fertility, accidental too much/too little seed, etc, etc to make some pretty big differences. That's brassicas for you but those pics look dang good!!! I had some plots my brother seeded WAY TOO HEAVY & the plants looked rough. I was on fence on starting over BUT they were at the point where I had a hunch they could make it... I took treated Urea & spread about 100 lbs on them & 2 weeks later, they actually look really strong and the strongest plants overtook the smaller ones, looks perfect. Got lucky on that one. There was one plot that looked like he was trying to grow lettuce for his tossed salad it was so thick and I did burn that one up and redo a couple weeks ago.

Depends on planting date & your location (temps). To make it simple... grasses are competing for several things, mainly N. So, you want to kill grasses while brassicas are utilizing and taking in N. Which is still the case in most areas. 3 weeks from now - wasting your time. Late planted brassicas, still readily growing, I'd do it asap, within the next week. That's just general, off the cuff thought.

Planted exactly a month ago in south central Iowa. Put down urea a week and a half ago. Had been playing chicken with myself on whether to spray grass or not...finally order cleth this week, who knows when it'll get here. My fault for waiting

My second planting of brassicas. Hope it rains next week or these are toast.

picture.php

Goatman,
Do you think this is because of lack of moisture? Mine are doing the same thing in areas and I am wondering if it is moisture, to close of a planting or do I need to add more urea? Thank you for your reply.

Goatman,
Do you think this is because of lack of moisture? Mine are doing the same thing in areas and I am wondering if it is moisture, to close of a planting or do I need to add more urea? Thank you for your reply.

I think probably both. Lack of moisture and to thick. These had plenty of urea.

Sorry to all hoping for food plot moisture. DesMoines Weather Service is saying little or no moisture from the next system for Southern Iowa, and Central Ill. Can only PRAY they are wrong,,which they sometimes are,,though not lately relating to where moisture is going to fall.

Having the same purple and yellow on majority of my plots. No prior experience with these put they'll be a patch of nice healthy plants with decent bulbs and then 2 ft away purple yellow plants.
Here is how I was looking 2 weeks ago
picture.php

picture.php

Now, I have some nice plants but mostly ones like pictured in goatmans...mixed in with some nice turnips
picture.php

I hope it's just rain so I know what worked and didn't next year. Fertilized and limed according to soil test and recommendation and added urea 4 weeks after planting (just 100# to the acre). Lots of nipped off tops which is good at least for now

Last edited:
I would say just time of year,,days getting shorter,,grazing by deer,,and if no rain lately,,then lack of rain. Mine looked the same wks ago, nice and lush,then deer nailed em good,,and lack of a fresh rain and they have had little regrowth and look haggered now,

Top Bottom