Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Swung by today just to look at brassicas and I guess they're growing. This is in the middle of the extreme drought area but this plot is in a bottom that's normally a pinch wet.
*edited because I uploaded the same pics multiple times somehow
20170910_164118-768x1365.jpg
20170910_164116-768x1365.jpg

Those look good, very good considering the dryness. All I have right now is bare dirt...it has to rain sometime...right?

I'd go to any coop or usually any of the farm stores for crop oil. Can look farm store inventory up online. Dish soap might work?
"Seeds sat 10 days". I looked at my brassicas I drilled that sat for at least 14-20 days with no rain.... germination was perfect. Drilling had them barely buried in a furrow which maybe could make slight difference. But- good viable seed came up just fine after sitting in the dust. My only real concern with that seed sitting there was having just enough rain to germinate and then dry up OR stuff like birds or bugs eating seed (far less concern there). Neither happened thankfully and now those suckers are set for the last of summer for growing. Got tons of moisture right now as well as many parts of state who caught a lot of rain lately. Good luck on the plantings. Go back with hand seeder and spot in any low germination areas asap if able.

Sligh,
Paul always said to use Dawn dish soap if crop oil was not available. I can never find a straight crop oil, all I can find is crop oil concentrate unless I am looking in the wrong place?

Sligh,
Paul always said to use Dawn dish soap if crop oil was not available. I can never find a straight crop oil, all I can find is crop oil concentrate unless I am looking in the wrong place?
That's what you want. Buy online lots of places rural king, keystone pest solutions, etc. Can get locally at some of the co-ops too.

great! I got 9 inches of dust waiting to plant something. Doubt I will have any food plots by Nov. NO it doesn't have to rain any time. Am turning to wading pools with water. Best guess is gonna pay off as bait in this drought. DNR probably has a law against it though.?

Sligh,
I get the big jug of Drexel bean oil from rural king. I only use it when spraying cleth so it lasts quite some time

What would happen if I spray clethodim on my brassicas and seeded my rye into it the same day? I assume nothing since the rye hasn't germinated yet? Just thinking what to do with my baby turnips of 6 weeks with no rain .

What would happen if I spray clethodim on my brassicas and seeded my rye into it the same day? I assume nothing since the rye hasn't germinated yet? Just thinking what to do with my baby turnips of 6 weeks with no rain .

yeah should be fine. Cleth is a post emergent herbicide. I've never tried it, but I don't see any reason why you would have a problem.

• Deleted by Bowhunter88
  • Reason: posted this twice
Show…
  • Deleted by Bowhunter88
  • Reason: no need
Show…
Anyone give up on the non-bulb producing brassicas and just go straight turnips and radishes? My plot got enormous growth and all the greens are like celery and I'm thinking not as palatable as young growth. Kicker is I don't see the early season feeding like I have in the past on the brassicas that are under 12" tall. I ever planted late this year. Figure if it's going to explode, may well same the room for late season root producers

Anyone give up on the non-bulb producing brassicas and just go straight turnips and radishes? My plot got enormous growth and all the greens are like celery and I'm thinking not as palatable as young growth. Kicker is I don't see the early season feeding like I have in the past on the brassicas that are under 12" tall. I ever planted late this year. Figure if it's going to explode, may well same the room for late season root producers
This guy!!
Turnips and radish only. I’m not a fan of rape, etc.

turnips are the best after it really gets cold and for palatable earlier action- radish are plenty good. Yep- I skip the rest. But that’s just me.

This guy!!
Turnips and radish only. I’m not a fan of rape, etc.

turnips are the best after it really gets cold and for palatable earlier action- radish are plenty good. Yep- I skip the rest. But that’s just me.
? For you guys with radish and turnip plots. I'v got 4 acres of turnips from the size of golf balls all the way up to softballs, my radishes are "average" to pledge can size. At what point in the yr do they start hitting these? I see a few deer in them but most are still hitting the clover before going out to the fields.

? For you guys with radish and turnip plots. I'v got 4 acres of turnips from the size of golf balls all the way up to softballs, my radishes are "average" to pledge can size. At what point in the yr do they start hitting these? I see a few deer in them but most are still hitting the clover before going out to the fields.
Been hitting em hard since mid October at my place. They are really getting into the turnip bulbs hard now.

Top Bottom