Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

I just found out that I had about a 95% failure on my brassica's this year. I had a guy convince me to use a new blend from a up and coming company. I have had 7" of rain since I planted on the 11th of August (Kansas) and my plots look like they have mange. Should I light disk and plant Turnips or should I plant Cereal Rye or should I do both. I don't want both of these plots bare this fall? Please give me your suggestions. I am gonna plant something on Sunday. Thanks.

I think you are too late now for turnips, but not too late for rye/wheat/oats. You could mix in a little bit of radishes, but it is getting late for brassicas IMO.

I just found out that I had about a 95% failure on my brassica's this year. I had a guy convince me to use a new blend from a up and coming company. I have had 7" of rain since I planted on the 11th of August (Kansas) and my plots look like they have mange. Should I light disk and plant Turnips or should I plant Cereal Rye or should I do both. I don't want both of these plots bare this fall? Please give me your suggestions. I am gonna plant something on Sunday. Thanks.

Agree with what Daver said. You could also add some peas or soybeans if available... At this point in the year a frost could really happen at anytime. I know the forecast isnt showing anything but it could happen. Stick to your grains. You could add some radishes but your really pushing the limits here

I don't have much experience with brassicas so Ill need some help from the experts. I hunted a brassica plot last night and the deer are hammering them. I am concerned that they are going to eat them to the ground. My question is will the bulbs still develop after they browse the tops? Should I plan on broadcasting winter rye into?

I don't have much experience with brassicas so Ill need some help from the experts. I hunted a brassica plot last night and the deer are hammering them. I am concerned that they are going to eat them to the ground. My question is will the bulbs still develop after they browse the tops? Should I plan on broadcasting winter rye into?
Have they already developed bulbs?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I didn't walk into the plot I didn't want to put any ground scent in there but I didn't see any with my binos from the tree stand.
I would of they had some bulb production they would continue to grow but at this point if there is none you may be SOL...winter rye is the option I would choose

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Whitetail Institute Wintergreens planted July 29th with 200lbs of triple 12. We used our new Solo spreader and put it down a lil too thick. It should've covered a 1/2 acre but we only got about half that and ran out of seed, we'll see how the bulbs turn out. We figured out the adjustment on the next pass of straight purple tops in another field, it seems like the hopper is barely open but that is exactly the right setting. Many people rip on the "big buck on the bag" product but this wintergreens mix has excellent growth and after a frost will be a huge draw.

Wintergreens 9-19.jpg

Is it worth spreading urea this late in the game? Looks like rain and I'm at my farm

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sure can’t hurt & likely help. Turnips especially as they will grow later & not as deep a tap root as radish. Getter down if it looks like it needs it.

Sure can’t hurt & likely help. Turnips especially as they will grow later & not as deep a tap root as radish. Getter down if it looks like it needs it.
I think they will be toast after yesterday's rain. Another 2" yesterday on top of 2.5" the 22nd and 23rd. I mud bogged a couple hundred pounds on yesterday hoping it wouldn't rain again so I wasted money on that.

I hunted last night in a blind and watched a lake form in my brassicas before deciding I better dash to safety when the rain and lightning got real aggressive. 10 ft high in a blind with a metal stand didn't seem wise though the way I was feeling as I watched 4 acres of brassicas flood had me thinking I should stay put. hahahaha!

Really starting to question the sanity of food plotting with the weather patterns that currently exist, especially from 6 hours away.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Here is another no till plot I did- sprayed weeds, broadcast before a really good rain and when the plants were about 2" tall I broadcast 19-19-19 before a good rain. These also got mowed off about 3 weeks ago or so by the farmer on accident and thought it ruined the plot- but they grew back with vengeance
71265601_10100438126144254_6039048743473381376_n.jpg

Gosh, somebody mowed them?
I never heard of that.

It wasnt for any benefit to me- the plot is surrounded by clover/grass that someone cuts for hay and they werent feeling obligated to go around the food plot so when he was cutting hay he just mowed right over the plot as well. But to my surprise it came back quickly!

Well the PTTs didn't seem to really take off when broadcasted into standing clover. It appeared early on that we had decent germination and were going to get a stand going. However it appeared they started to grow but then fizzled out. The green tops never got very big at all and only a few of the larger green tops actually produced a bulb. So at the moment my clover is all eaten down to the ground and the sedge is showing itself off. Nothing seems to be feeding at all. Think I need to kill off the sedge right away in the spring when it starts growing. The clover should be back in the spring too. With such a small area that gets partial sun I am struggling with killing off the clover next year to try to get PTTs to grow for a late season food source and more tonnage than the clover. Have frost seeded a variety of red clover but that just hasn't seem to establish at all. Also worried that I would have to mow it too short if the deer don't keep the reds under control. Hmm...

Well the PTTs didn't seem to really take off when broadcasted into standing clover. It appeared early on that we had decent germination and were going to get a stand going. However it appeared they started to grow but then fizzled out. The green tops never got very big at all and only a few of the larger green tops actually produced a bulb. So at the moment my clover is all eaten down to the ground and the sedge is showing itself off. Nothing seems to be feeding at all. Think I need to kill off the sedge right away in the spring when it starts growing. The clover should be back in the spring too. With such a small area that gets partial sun I am struggling with killing off the clover next year to try to get PTTs to grow for a late season food source and more tonnage than the clover. Have frost seeded a variety of red clover but that just hasn't seem to establish at all. Also worried that I would have to mow it too short if the deer don't keep the reds under control. Hmm...
Agree. No go on brassicas in living clover. I tried some for fun- nothing.
Small areas- keep the clover. Had u killed all clover & done brassicas - they all be eaten by now anyways.
I’d frost seed some more clover & kill the sedge. Frost seeding reds or whites should work just fine & deer “should” keep it mowed but u still gonna wanna clip it a few times

Anybody get brassicas in this weekend? We did ours yesterday, it was a scorcher. Suppose to get a nice soaker this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

With rain looking sparse after this weekend and planning to plant this weekend any thoughts on fertilizing? If we plow it in, then disc and then smooth and pack will the urea hold for awhile?

Top Bottom