Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Shot tonight Opinions Needed

Trapshooter1

Deer was quartering to me at 20 yards and I tucked it up tight to the shoulder and let it fly. Got part of the shoulder and heard a pop when the arrow struck. It stuck in him so no pass through. He ran 20 yards got wobbly and fell down and kicked for 20-25 seconds. Stood back up and Hobbled away. Walked 50 yards before I lost sight. Let out an extremely loud buck roar when I last seen him. I have good blood where he fell. Is he a dead deer?? And how long should I wait to pursue?? My gut tells me single lung shot.

Sounds like he's down for the count. If one lung I would think 2 hours would be okay or wait until morning if your gut tells you to. I would think at that angle you got liver and the diaphragm so he's taking a dirt nap about now.

How much penetration? Did he favor the leg you hit? Just based on how he acted after the shot I would think he won't last long. If you got decent penetration then even if it's a single lung hit, it should hit liver, stomach or intestines.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Same question as the others, what did you have for penetration? If you had good penetration then he is done. From the sound of how he reacted I am betting that you had good penetration and he is getting stiffer as we speak.

Sounds like a dead deer to me. 2 hours should be plenty. If you jump him, back out until tomorrow.

I agree with all of the above. Do you have any tracking snow to work on? I would probably go back after him now from the sounds of that hit.

Worst case, you jump him. Then go back at first light tomorrow and you should be able to follow just about any track in this snow and if he does jump up tonight, they often only go another 80-150 yards when hit that hard.

Not 100% sure on how much penetration. I pull 70 pounds, and shoot a fixed head. There's about 3 inches of Fresh powder on the ground from last night. So tracking should be good. Where I shot the deer, there wasnt much blood. But where he fell down and kicked there was a fair amount deeper colored red blood. From the look of it, on the snow he s got a real light colored spray of light blood.

Coyotes were all over my gut pile within an hour earlier this fall. Not sure I’d wait until morning if you want meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer got “wobbly” and fell down........he’s laying over the hill. All you did by waiting is feed the coyotes.? In for pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt ask to be criticized about my decision to let him lay. I called a good friend of mine, that has literally has killed 100s of deer with a bow. He thought I made the right choice. I've pushed bucks before, and I've lost deer because I pushed them, that other wise woulda been laying their dead in the first bed.

I didnt ask to be criticized about my decision to let him lay. I called a good friend of mine, that has literally has killed 100s of deer with a bow. He thought I made the right choice. I've pushed bucks before, and I've lost deer because I pushed them, that other wise woulda been laying their dead in the first bed.
Right choice to let him lay. I'll take the risk of losing some meat to yotes over bumping a deer any day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If in doubt back out!!

If you didn’t feel comfortable with the situation you did the right thing.

You asked for opinions so dont get mad when someone gives you one that you dont like. You said he got wobbly and fell over so I would have went a little farther after giving him an hour. You walked to the first place he fell down, another 30 yards or so to glass where you lost him wouldnt have hurt. Hes dead. Sounds like you popped the diaphragm and hes probably laying where you lost sight of him.

You asked for opinions on the world wide web and you're getting them. Gather your feedback and go from there. I hope you find your deer and share the results

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a deer wobble and fall down, yet never found him. No exact science in deer hits and tracking.

Top Bottom