Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buckwheat Seed Purchase

Outdoor Family

Looking for some insight
I know a lot of people use Welter for seed, but I’m wondering if there are any seed stores on 34 between 218 and Chariton. Looking to pickup some buckwheat later this spring.
Thanks for any advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoor Family</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some insight
I know a lot of people use Welter for seed, but I’m wondering if there are any seed stores on 34 between 218 and Chariton. Looking to pickup some buckwheat later this spring.
Thanks for any advice
</div></div>

Buckwheat isn't real common at many small seed/feed stores but it's a good question for sure.

I can check at my local seed store...most likely he can get it but I'm not sure on the price.

If you can't locate any you can have it shipped here and then you'll have a reason to stop by and say Hi on the way thru! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Remember to plant buckwheat in very late spring to early summer it doesn't like cool temps.

Thanks dbltree, might just have to take you up on that. I think upwards of 10 50 lbs bags. I see Welters has it for $23, which is a fair price, but I think shipping would realy hurt the overall price. Thinking that stopping on the way through somewhere on 34 would be the best. Should be planting between May 1st to 15th. Is that a good time frame??Also, I going to plant it in areas that were sprayed twice and cut once last year. If I disk it again and then broadcast the seed, will the BW "out perform" any weed seed left??
Thanks

If you get any good growing conditions the BW should smother anything coming up if you seed at a decent rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be planting between May 1st to 15th. Is that a good time frame? </div></div>

Later is better (15th to the first of June)The 1st might be fine but there is still a chance of frost and very cool nights.

pharmer is right about the weeds...buckwheat can really smother them if all goes "according to Hoyle /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif "

If you don't come up with something else, shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I second dbltree's advice as to later the better for buckwheat ... I plant it anytime between June through August. I feel May is usually too early.

Last year I payed $21/50# at my local seed dealer ... he purchased the seed from Green Valley in Kahoka, MO. Haven't check on prices for this year but like everything else I'm sure it has gone up.

Thanks all for the insight, and if anyone finds any seed along 34, please pass it on. Dbltree, if I can’t find anything close, I’ll definitely send on a PM. Might just add my fall seed to the order also…
Just thought of a question: Can Milo or Sorghum (forage for height??) be panted at the same timeframe as BW. Not with it, I’m thinking wide strips dividing 1 acre plots of BW. Then disk in the BW in late summer to plant a brassica blend, and early fall for wheat, rye, triticale. I’m hoping that a year or two of this plan along with fertilizer/lime will really help in getting my average soil close to “alfalfa” soil….

If you are coming down on 218/380 Welter isn't that far from it. Also if you are coming across 80 to 218 south it isn't that far north from 80 compared to shipping it may be cheaper to pick it up there. Course with 3.00+ gas, who knows.

The 'Bonker

Fishbonker
You make a good point. I'll be coming from the east on 80, any idea how far north of 80 Welters is?? Diesel fuel is KILLING me. Isn't it suppose to be cheaper to make...sorry another topic...
Any views on what I'm thinking of doing with Milo/BW/fall planting would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can Milo or Sorghum (forage for height??) be panted at the same timeframe as BW. </div></div>

Milo could be planted in late April to early May but it wouldn't hurt any if you planted it later in May. Sorghum is like corn, it can take a little frost but it could also be planted in early June for your purpose.

In short..when it's safe to plant buckwheat it's safe to plant sorghum.

DSL fuel went up to $3.84 today... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Call this place in the morning. It's a small seed/feed store in Mt. Pleasant (@ 218 & 34). I was able to pick up rye and ww last fall.

Agri-Center of Henry Co.
205 W Winfield Ave
Mt Pleasant, IA 52641
(319) 385-2548

Another place to call would be Stutsmans in Hills (8 miles S of IC on 218). (319) 679-2281

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can Milo or Sorghum (forage for height??) be panted at the same timeframe as BW. </div></div>

Milo could be planted in late April to early May but it wouldn't hurt any if you planted it later in May. Sorghum is like corn, it can take a little frost but it could also be planted in early June for your purpose.</div></div>

Sorghum is similiar to corn but it will not germinate in cool soil temps. In southern Iowa I would not plant it before May 15th, it can be planted as late as July 1st but depending on the variety used you run the risk of a frost before the seed heads mature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmlandQDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can Milo or Sorghum (forage for height??) be panted at the same timeframe as BW. </div></div>

Milo could be planted in late April to early May but it wouldn't hurt any if you planted it later in May. Sorghum is like corn, it can take a little frost but it could also be planted in early June for your purpose.</div></div>

Sorghum is similiar to corn but it will not germinate in cool soil temps. In southern Iowa I would not plant it before May 15th, it can be planted as late as July 1st but depending on the variety used you run the risk of a frost before the seed heads mature. </div></div>

Better to be safe and follow Rob's advice on sorghum planting dates, he's planted a lot more of it then I have.

We always planted sorghum with our silage corn in late April and it always did just fine. We also planted sorghum/sudan grass in late April with no problems but grain sorghum or milo might be a different story.

Probally best to treat it like soybeans and let the soil warm up a little.

Great to have you back on the forum Rob! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well I think I will plant it when the BW is planted. What I'm really looking for is screening of the various one acre plots. I see that Welters has Milo seed that grows up top 4 ½ feet. Anyone have any experience with forage or a type that grows taller??
Thanks again everyone

I planted sudan sorghum last year on 7/1. It just made to maturity, but would not plant it that late again. We had a very wet summer/fall and I don't think it would have amounted to much with out the extra moisture.

Pharmer
I thought of EW, but I think tht I might have heard that it spreads, or my neighbor's might be happy because of spreading???
Not sure if it matter as I have cattle on the sides???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that Welters has Milo seed that grows up top 4 ½ feet. Anyone have any experience with forage or a type that grows taller??
</div></div>

Forage sorghum grows up to 12 feet tall and is the type I'm used to growing. The problem is that it will fall over, just about the time you need it.

We grew it with corn that was chopped for silage in late September to early October. It will provide a great screen for awhile in the fall but when the "winds of Novemember" come calling it may start to go down.

Here's some info on Forage Sorghum which talks about planting dates and soil temps (in MN and WI)

Check with seed corn distributors for forage sorghum seed like this one: Forgae sorghum seed

Albert Lea Sorghums

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoor Family</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm really looking for is screening of the various one acre plots. I see that Welters has Milo seed that grows up top 4 ½ feet. Anyone have any experience with forage or a type that grows taller??
</div></div>

I have tried several types of sorghum. The best mix I have found for hiding wildlife as well as feeding them is two 25# bags of Pheasant Forever's Blizzard Buster mix and one 50# bag of safened grain sorghum. Mix it together and drill it at about 5# per acre or broadcast it at 10-15# per acre. The photo below is what it looks like in late October. It does lay down more later in the winter but the vertical diversity with the mix of varied sorghum strains holds up better to winter winds and it usually is tall enough to hide a buck during shotgun season ... best of all you can often get it free from your local Pheasants Forever chapter.
DSC03475.jpg

Top Bottom