Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bullet drift

Bowhunt

Went out and shot my muzzleloader. The thing is shooting about 9 inches left at 110 yards. But the wind was blowing about 10 mph, from left to right. So would the wind blow a 240 grain XTP hornady that much?I am shooting a disc rifle with 100 grains of pyrodex.

I resighted as well as I could, and the scope will not go any farther left. I just took the scope off my rifle and put in back on my muzzleloader. It is a leupold 3 x9. I have never had the thing turn the left knob so far that it would not go any farther. I do not know what to do. I am going to Georgia tomorrow to hunt hogs, What do I do....?

first of all, a 10mph wind would have little effect at that range. I would start by removing the scope and making sure there is no debris or anything on the mounts that would throw it off. If the scope was good on the rifle it should be good on the disc except for some zeroing adjustment. Make sure all the screws are tight, and put the scope back on. Next, move your target to around 20 yards and bore site the gun. It's a little harder to do with a muzzleloader cause the bore is so big, but you can get it in the ball park. Then move your target out to 50 yards and see where the shot goes and adjust from there. Then move it out to 100 yards and fine tune. At least thats how I did my disc. Took me about 6 shots. Good luck on the pigs...................

I had the same problem once. I had my scope off set on my barrel which caused me to shoot way to the side and couldn't get the crosshair to fix it. I don't even know how to explain how I had it messed up but man, was it messed up! I just know that I tried to "simplify" things by tightening some set screws all the way on one side so I didn't have to go from screw to screw to screw to screw to center the scope. That threw all the bullets way to the right. Once I did the set screws one by one everything straightened out and shot fine.

Hope that ramble helped.

If the wind is going from left to right it couldn't move your shot to the left. Go back to square one. Remove the scope and mounts and rings. Then reassemble everything very carefully and make sure that the screws are all torqued about the same. Then remove the bolt and breech plug and put the gun in some kind of vise. Look through the bore and put a target in the center of the bore, then move the scope cross hairs to line up one the same target. Do this at 25 yards and fire a couple shots to get on target. Then move back to 50 yards. With that load if you sight it 2 to 2 1/2 inch high it should be almost right on at 100 yards. Good luck with the porkers.

Top Bottom