Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

buying a handgun

se/iowa.justin

"THE HAMMER"
Do I need to get a permit to carry/purchase a handgun? Noticed when private sellers are selling they are asking for permits. Do you need one if you are purchasing from a store or purchasing one from out of state? First time buying one and I don't know the steps needed to get one.I just know there is a three day waiting period.

You need a permit to purchase. Your permit to carry will also act as your permit to purchase. With that, there is no waiting period. Private transfers shouldn't need it but if the seller is asking to see it than that's probably not a bad thing. If you are ordering online it will have to be transfers through an in state ffl holder.

What is a permit to purchase? In the state of PA one goes to a FFL to buy a handgun. As a part of the purchase process the FFL conducts a pics/nics check to make sure the purchaser is not a convicted felon. If the purchaser passes the handgun is sold. A totally seperate issue is a permit to carry a concealed firearm that is issued by the county sheriff. If the sheriff issues the permit one can carry concealed and vice versa.

A permit to purchase is only required for a handgun purchase. You do not need it to buy a rifle or a shotgun. I think the purpose for having the permit to purchase is that you are required to do a little classroom time in order to get it. I suppose its to keep people from buying handguns with no knowledge of how to use them.

If I am wrong on any of this, someone please correct me. Thanks!

Yeah I permit to purchase/acquire is needed only for handguns as LYON stated. You go to your local sheriff and there's a 3 day wait. This is basically a cool down period to keep someone that wants to harm themselves or someone else from getting it done immediately. There is no classroom time involved. Basically your sheriff runs the same NICS check that any gun dealer would. A permit to purchase will last 1 year. Once you have this there is no NICS check required when purchasing firearms for that year. Just record the NTN # that's on the permit and your good to go...

So I can walk into the sheriffs office anytime to do this or are there specific days/dates I have to do this? Is a iowa permit good to buy in other states or just iowa?

A permit to purchase is only required for a handgun purchase. You do not need it to buy a rifle or a shotgun. I think the purpose for having the permit to purchase is that you are required to do a little classroom time in order to get it. I suppose its to keep people from buying handguns with no knowledge of how to use them.

If I am wrong on any of this, someone please correct me. Thanks!

The permit to purchase does not have any classroom time so you can purchase a handgun with no knowledge of how to use it. It is good for one year and is the background check done by the sheriff's office rather than your FFL. You still fill out the paperwork at your FFL, but they do not always do a background check if you have the permit to purchase.

You are correct that the permit to carry also counts as a permit to purchase (good for 5 years). Again, the background check is already done if you have that permit.

And you are correct that there is no waiting period to purchase.

I am pretty sure private sellers in IA do not have to do much for a background check. It wound be wise to do a bill of sale that includes the guns serial number, and make sure you don't sell to a minor.

go into your sherriff's office at any time, and fill out a form. thats it. they will run a check, and you pick it up in a few days

The permit to purchase does not have any classroom time so you can purchase a handgun with no knowledge of how to use it. It is good for one year and is the background check done by the sheriff's office rather than your FFL. You still fill out the paperwork at your FFL, but they do not always do a background check if you have the permit to purchase.

You are correct that the permit to carry also counts as a permit to purchase (good for 5 years). Again, the background check is already done if you have that permit.

And you are correct that there is no waiting period to purchase.

I am pretty sure private sellers in IA do not have to do much for a background check. It wound be wise to do a bill of sale that includes the guns serial number, and make sure you don't sell to a minor.

Thanks for clarifying the permit to purchase. I have my carry permit and had never gotten my permit to purchase previously. Thought I knew what I was talking about, guess not.

Just a heads-up handgun buyers in private sales also need to have a permit to purchase or permit to carry per Iowa Code 724.15 https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IC/LINC/Chapter.724.pdf

There are some exceptions to the PTC or PTP in private sales like transferring the weapon to someone you're related to, but read the code to see all of the exceptions.

Below are the penalties for acquiring or selling without a PTP/PTC.
1. Except as otherwise provided in section 724.15, subsection 2, a person who acquires ownership of a pistol or revolver without a valid annual permit to acquire pistols or revolvers or a person who transfers ownership of a pistol or revolver to a person who does not have in the person’s possession a valid annual permit to acquire pistols or revolvers is guilty of an aggravated misdemeanor.
2. A person who transfers ownership of a pistol or revolver to a person that the transferor knows is prohibited by section 724.15 from acquiring ownership of a pistol or revolver commits a class “D” felony.

The Iowa DPS website has all the information you need concerning PTP and PTC. http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/weapon_permits.shtml

Top Bottom