Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buying Land with a Self-Directed IRA

Obsessed

My neighbor approached me about possibly selling his property in the near future. I'm not extremely interested in his house or buildings, but I am interested in 8 acres of rough hillside pasture, that butts directly up against my home property. I believe he would be willing to partition off the back 8, if the price were right.

We are considered agriculture, but reside just outside of 3 different city limits. Each of the 3 cities are encroaching upon us aggressively, so this land could easily be considered an investment property, as future development expands. I personally want to buy it to keep it from being developed and to expand my hunting land.

I have read that doing a 50/50 % - Self-Directed IRA / Outright Purchase is a good way to purchase land that you want to hunt because you can't personally use or hunt any segment of the land that is within the IRA. Is this correct? If so, how are the land boundaries laid out and / or enforced?

Because it is currently pasture, I'd like to plant multiple trees seedlings. Is this allowed, or must I hire someone else to do it?

I would not pasture any livestock on it, I doubt it would qualify for any type of CRP, and it wouldn't be farmed, so it would not be making any profit what-so-ever. Because of this, would I have to continue contributing money into my IRA in order to pay property taxes, or could I pay them out of pocket from the 50% outright owned portion?

I have money in both Traditional IRA's and ROTH IRA's at TD Ameritrade. If I roll my Traditional IRA money into a Self-Directed IRA, will I be taxed or penalized through the nose at the time of the roll-over, or at the time of land purchase? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ROTH IRA money would be issue free.

It is not absolutely necessary for me to be able to hunt this 8 acres, because I can always hunt my current land, but I most definitely want to plant trees in order to provide more local habitat that will hold more local wildlife. So, what I'm saying is that going the 100% IRA purchase route is always an option, vs the 50/50 % route.

I'm looking for input on the questions that I've asked above and suggestions for my best plan of action and where to start. Thank you all in advance.

Hardwood11 has been a strong contributor on some of the archived threads that I've read, so I'm hoping he jumps in with some solid advice.

Roth IRA's have several unique characteristics most people aren't aware of. You can take 100% of your contributions out at any time - tax/penalty free. The growth is the only portion that can be penalized (10% tax penalty), unless it's been held in the account 5 years. Then it's also tax/penalty free. ABSOLUTELY make sure you're provided adequate documentation if you go this route so in the event of an audit you're able to show where the proceeds came from. I'd love to help with this but at Edward Jones we don't allow land within our self-directed IRA's.

Obsessed--you can sure purchase it with an IRA if you would like, it is fairly easy, keep in mind that you have to pay annual fees for a self directed IRA account. As far as using it, that is the tricky part. I have my farm set up as 50/50, but I keep most of the tillable acres in the IRA portion. Technically I am not supposed to hunt that portion of the farm, and I do not because its all farm ground.

In your case...on 8 acres that would be more difficult.

Any income you receive, goes into the IRA, if this is a potential development property it could fit nicely. As far as using it, what age are you? Nobody from the IRS will ever come out and check to see if you are using it, ironically the IRS in most land IRA cases has no idea what asset you have in the IRA--- but then again, someone could tip them off, but highly unlikely.

Tough call on this one, you could buy the house and buildings and the 8 acres--- rent it out to someone else, and all income would go into the IRA, with nice tax advantages.

I'm in my early 40's. As for buying the house and buildings, I don't believe I can afford it all, but I'll know more when I sit down with my neighbor and discuss figures.

The reason I ask your age, is at 59.5 you are free to use the asset. Also, you can borrow money in an IRA (it is called a non recourse loan). There are some drawbacks to that, for one, it can trigger a UBIT tax, which is complicated but....anyway good luck.

OK, so can / do I roll both my Traditional and ROTH IRA's into one new self-directed IRA? The ROTH is qualified money and the Traditional is non-qualified money, so I imagine there's a hitch here somewhere.

Is there a specific company, (e.g. Equity Trust), and / or IRA product that I should go with? Depending on the overall price, I may be able to do the 50/50 split.

I use Equity Trust, geez, I would check with the company (on the qualified/non-qualified). A Roth would be great for SD IRA, all future income or gains would be tax free.

Roth IRA's have several unique characteristics most people aren't aware of. You can take 100% of your contributions out at any time - tax/penalty free. The growth is the only portion that can be penalized (10% tax penalty), unless it's been held in the account 5 years. Then it's also tax/penalty free.

Sorry if I'm hijacking-

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that your contributions could be taken from an IRA penalty-free at any time, but the growth could not be taken out penalty-free unless it was over 5 years old AND you were over the age of 59.5 unless its for a qualified reason... Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm hijacking-

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that your contributions could be taken from an IRA penalty-free at any time, but the growth could not be taken out penalty-free unless it was over 5 years old AND you were over the age of 59.5 unless its for a qualified reason... Am I wrong?

That's correct.

I have a few dollars of equity in my house and some more dollars in IRAs and am interested in purchasing some hunting land as an investment. Where can folks find out more about setting up these kinds of 50/50 arrangements?

Larry

Larry--I would recommend calling a company like Equity Trust, that specialize in Self Directed IRA.

If you do the 50/50 arrangement, be sure to follow the usage guidelines. Farm ground works well for an IRA, CRP is not ideal.

Put the hunting portion in non-IRA.

I've never seen anyone from the IRS with binoculars watching over my farm, but there are rules on use.

Top Bottom