Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canadian Fishing Trip

bushman

Well, I made it back from my annual Canadian fishing trip in one piece. The ice was off the lakes; no dodging icebergs but the water was still a little cold. The warmest I found on the lake was like 51 degrees with the average temps being in the mid 40's. Anyway the fishing was a little slower than normal but we still caught a fair number of fish. Nothing huge this year a lot of pike in the mid 30 inch range with the biggest going 37" and 10 pounds 8 ounces.

The smallies were hot and the walleyes were biting pretty good too. Walleye season didn't open until Saturday and the lake we were fishing was closed to eyes anyways but we still caught a bunch while throwing crank baits.

We did have a couple mishaps. The lake we fish is actually a reservoir and is all flooded timber. There are rocks in the middle of the lake everywhere. We managed to find one with the skeg and prop. Busted the skeg off (not into the oil pan luckily) and took out the sheer device and bent the hell out of the stainless prop. We had a spare prop and even had the prop wrench with. Only problem was that the prop was sitting in the bed of my truck, at the landing about 5 miles away. No way were we going to make it on electric with a 20 MPH head wind so we had to head to shore and wait for a tow. Luckily one of the boats in our group came by and pulled us in.

I came back on the disabled list. When jumping out of the boat to catch it, coming into the rocks for shore lunch, I landed on a wet section of rock and ate it. Kept fishing for the rest of the trip but was limited to my spinning set ups since my wrist hurt to bad to cast my bait casters. Anyway, went to the doc on Wednesday night. I fractured one of my carpal bones. Now I'm stuck in a damn wrist splint and have to figure out how I can fish with this thing this weekend.

Here are some of the pictures I took. I'll try and get some more from my dad's camera uploaded later.

Canada_08_-_10.JPG

Just a landscape shot

Canada_08_-_9.JPG

Eating Shore Lunch in a thunderstorm

Canada_08_-_8.JPG

A pair of loons hanging out while we were waiting for a tow.

Canada_08_-_7.JPG

Our "HELP" signal, after taking the prop out.

Canada_08_-_6.JPG

One of the other boats in our group, doing a little bobber fishing.

Canada_08_-_5.JPG

Me with an average pike for this trip.

Canada_08_-_4.JPG

My dad with a "wet sock"

Canada_08_-_3.JPG

Just a little backwater bay

Canada_08_-_2.JPG

The Cat

Canada_08_-_1.JPG

The smallie honey hole.

Sweet. Any trip away from home is a good trip /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You can not enjoy success with out failure. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean

Looks like a nice trip! I hate those damn rocks. That why i put my cheep prop on in waters like that!

looks like a fun trip regardless of the crap....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Tough break on the hand, no pun intended. Looks like a good time was had by all. Nice pics too, remind me very much of my "home lake".

Glad you could enjoy a bit of our country, despite the prices of our fuel, liquor and tobacco products. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet! Nice pics man. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Were you fishing Lower Seine? From the sounds of the flooded timber and no walleye regulations, it made me wonder.

KPM,

You've been? Where do you stay? Actually it's Marmion, lower seine is a big bay off of main lake Marmion.

We usually stay at Camp Quetico and fish Lower Seine and Moose one day. My favorite lake in that area is Crooked Pine. We have gone there off and on for the last 20+ years and always stayed at Quetico.

Top Bottom