Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canoe and kayak registration HF 2287

Seems strange to me that you have to register a non-motorized canoe or kayak.........Not the case here in WI.

I'm assuming hes referring to any canoe or kayak on public water. And if he is then I agree. They are using public waters and often public launches, parking lots, and other things. They should be able to pay their share.

Correctomondo! Since every big box store now sells them they're everywhere. Lots of their owners are worse then a newby with a boat on a trailer. Pull down in the middle of the ramp, unstrap kayaks from roof and place in middle of ramp, unload all crap from car and put in yak, go park car while yak sits in middle of ramp.... Never mind they can put in anywhere.

In the end they're using, no matter their level of courtesy, a public resource that is in part funded by boater registration. They should pay their share.

Correctomondo! Since every big box store now sells them they're everywhere. Lots of their owners are worse then a newby with a boat on a trailer. Pull down in the middle of the ramp, unstrap kayaks from roof and place in middle of ramp, unload all crap from car and put in yak, go park car while yak sits in middle of ramp.... Never mind they can put in anywhere.

In the end they're using, no matter their level of courtesy, a public resource that is in part funded by boater registration. They should pay their share.

Of those kayaks and/or canoes that are now piled in the middle of a boat ramp clogging the scenery and breaking our minds, how many are less than 13 feet in length? It was a rhetorical question, well maybe, because I'm going into guessing mode and a rhetorical question is only asked when the person asking the question already knows the answer. It's my guess that most of them are less than 13 feet long. Unfortunately this bill, as I read it, still exempts those shorter kayaks and/or canoes.

I had heard all kayaks and/or canoes under 13 feet in length were going to be subject to a one time when you buy it registration fee of an amount to be set and I had heard $10.00 was going to be the fee. So this bill is a bit of a surprise unless somewhere in the bill is a phrase or clause or a word or two that would indicate all kayaks and/or canoes regardless of length need to pay a registration fee. Perhaps this bill is a step towards that, perhaps, rhetorically speaking, it is another in a long line of bills designed to defund the DNR.

Of those kayaks and/or canoes that are now piled in the middle of a boat ramp clogging the scenery and breaking our minds, how many are less than 13 feet in length? It was a rhetorical question, well maybe, because I'm going into guessing mode and a rhetorical question is only asked when the person asking the question already knows the answer. It's my guess that most of them are less than 13 feet long. Unfortunately this bill, as I read it, still exempts those shorter kayaks and/or canoes.

I had heard all kayaks and/or canoes under 13 feet in length were going to be subject to a one time when you buy it registration fee of an amount to be set and I had heard $10.00 was going to be the fee. So this bill is a bit of a surprise unless somewhere in the bill is a phrase or clause or a word or two that would indicate all kayaks and/or canoes regardless of length need to pay a registration fee. Perhaps this bill is a step towards that, perhaps, rhetorically speaking, it is another in a long line of bills designed to defund the DNR.

From my observation most are under the length limit.

Before someone freaks I know not all canoe and kayak owners aren't inconsiderate a-holes and plenty of registered boat owners are. On top of that many can't back up a trailer straight to save their a$$. I own both registered boat and unregistered canoe and kayak. I can back up like a boss and I am considerate. Some may say I still am an a$$. Also, I do enjoy seeing people out enjoying our natural resources. As long as their not in my honey holes....

I also don't see the langue your referring to about all paying something. I don't think many Republicans are likely to support almost any "fee" for fear of it being viewed as a tax. It is nice the bill still gives you the option of paying every 3 years like normal if you like. Conspiracy theory of defunding DNR deepens....

Last edited:
I have three watercraft registered: a boat with motor, a 13 ft tandem kayak, and a canoe. Thought it was odd when I went to register the kayak that there was a 13 ft rule....

Current fees seem fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom