Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon/Carbide Chainsaw Chains

boonerz

Starting to prep for some TSI work in the near future. I was curious if anyone has tried using one of these carbon/carbide chains and if they truly stay sharper longer? Also, where is the best place to get one or what are your recommendations? I'm using a Husqvarna 455 18" and a Stihl MS 290 16". Thoughts anyone?

I used them to clear log jams on the river for the City of Des Moines. Unless you anticipate running your chain into sand and rock or think there may be a lot of metal in the trees your cutting, you don't need a carbide chain. Save your money and buy a couple extra replacement chains and a filing kit.

I have looked into these. I can't remember the cost but would also be interested in folks who have used them. Personally, I recommend going overboard on regular stuff as you will break some, dull some with things you hit & burn thru them. I have a minimum of 3-4 chains and pack 1 extra chain with an extra bar in the timber. You'll likely break a bar being new to TSI & jam them in trees (bring spare & take saw off when it's stuck & put spare bar/chain on to unstick saw). I also have a back up MS-250 as it sucks when you do break a saw.

I have used the carbide chains a lot. I build fence for a living so the only thing I cut with mine is hedge which is very hard on chains. I've had the chain on my saw now for a year and I run it in the dirt cutting posts a lot and hit the occasional wire. Still cutting fine, hasn't been sharpened. Only thing that's really bad on them is hitting rock. Only downfall is sharpening, have to have a diamond wheel which is really expensive.

What i have foind out is to make sure u get the better chain. Sthil makes a chain for the home owner and one for profesionals. The better one is square sided not round

Top Bottom