Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cautious bird

HorseDoctor

PMA Member
Set up on a hay field on a friends farm in Warren County early Starurday morning to the normal cacophony of tree talk that is always present of the place. Problem is most all the birds roost across the fence 1/4 mile on posted ground. Somtimes they stay over there sometimes they wander. There were enough birds I was hopeful that some would venture my direction. As usual, it got quiet after flydown but I settled into my gobbler lounger determined to spend the morning if need be. I called a couple times just to let anyone in the vicinity know I was there. Caught a glimpse of motion just overe the rise from my DS Jake & his "ladies", then saw a big white head on the edge of the woods 60 yards away. Pretty quick I had a hen strolling through the decoys and a longbeard gobbling & strutting his stuff at 50 yards. Figured this was gonna happen as he would surely run out to rescue his hen from the juvenile delinquent she was flirting with. I was surprised that he hung up on the edge of the woods gobbling & strutting but wouldn't challenge the jake decoy. After maybe 10 minutes (seemed like an hour) he had moved to about 40 yards away but was still not willing to commit to the decoy. I think he got suspicious that the jake wouldn't answer or move. He dropped out of strut and turned to walk away. Longer shot than I like, but I know the gun patterns well so sent 2 1/2 oz of #7 HeviShot at the back of his head & dropped him like a bad habit at 45 yd. Won't win the contest but a decent 2 YO bird. Weighed 21 lb 4 oz., spurs were 7/8", beard at 8 1/2". Couldn't figure why he was reluctant to confront the jake deke until I found a coule of wounds on his breast while dressing him out. I suspect they were spur marks and he had recently been the guest of honor at a "A$$ Kickin Party". Anyway, got home in time to sratch a couple things off the spring "Honey-Do List" Satrurday to boot.

Attachments

• 4th season.jpg
    4th season.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom