Cereal Grains and cover crops

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Aug 25, 2006.

1. northwoods whitetails

northwoods whitetails Member

Mowed the rye/red clover today. 4 foot tall rye full of deer beds. I had my dad ride ahead of me to bump the fawns out of the way. One month before tilling it all under for brassica.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. northwoods whitetails

Started on the grain rotation this weekend. Tilled under the oats/berseem clovers for the radish/red clover/ oats/peas/rye part.
    Deer will be eating well soon. A week old oat/white clover planting has browsing on it already.

Sligh1 and goatman like this.
  4. northwoods whitetails

Last 1000 pounds of cereal grains going into the ground in Upper Michigan today. Deer love this portion of the dbltree mix up here.

Sligh1, goatman and arm like this.
  5. arm

arm Leg

With the frosts and just cold nov...will the rye still be growing? I swear the plot is filling out each time I look at it

6. Daver

Daver PMA Member

What is your soil temp? Rye will germ as low as 34 and grow as low as 38.

7. arm

arm Leg

Not a dang clue. But we'll figure it out

8. Daver

Daver PMA Member

9. arm

arm Leg

10. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

With sharp eye u can see rye mix on left and turnips and radish on right. I planted this one a bit early so they look “kinda similar” from a distance & radish in rye mix got some decent size.
    A couple of These are actually giant plots- drought destroyed the beans so I went to plan B at these locations. Usually they are smaller but with drought- needed something there! Most plots are much smaller on normal year and that also makes it nice for any one with most sizes of plots.
    The bottom line.... clover in rye mix will be fixing N til I put MOST of it into brassicas later. On the current brassica portion..... I’ll either do beans there or fight the alleopathic affects of brassicas and seed the heck out of clover soon. (Or big plots I’ll do to corn or beans but for sure keep part of field for rotation).
    I have good luck frost seeding heavy clover on old brassicas and having plenty of clover. But- there is some risk there.
    Gonna be frost seeding time soon on clovers!!! For list of clovers- go over to clover section on dbltree forum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HorseDoctor and Jbohn like this.
  11. ELKY

ELKY PMA Member

That farm looks like a whitetail paradise! I love that middle pic!

12. habitat24

habitat24 Member

Nice thats almost what mine would normally look like except we are having 3rd driest winter in history

13. risto2351

risto2351 Active Member

If I did a cereal grain plot last year, will I have to frost seed more clover into it? If so how much do I need per acre?

14. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

Clover is one of the seeds I feel like you can't over seed. Did much clover sprout up last year? I'd spread another couple pounds on to be safe assuming what you planted last year sprouted. It's cheap insurance for your future clover plot

Jbohn, Sligh1 and goatman like this.
  15. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

So with the summer winding down its about time to get the dbltree mix in. My question to you guys is would you plant this coming weekend or wait til the next? One side of me says plant this weekend as my farms are along the MO border and Ive had some troubles getting some rains this year. So im thinking if i get it in then at least the seed will be there waiting if the rain ever does come. The other side of me says wait a week and plant labor day weekend and not risk it getting too tall and unpalatable...so what are your guys' thoughts; this weekend or next? or am i really just splitting hairs here?
    thanks!

16. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

MO Border, I would wait a week. It is always a question of when cold weather and hard frosts hit. Some years planting now is good and my friend has planted triticale in Oct and it has done well.

17. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

Plant mine while your down there, LOL. I'm along the IA border in MO. I'm planting my Labor Day weekend, same as always. Last year we didn't get rain until 21 days after planting so too much growth was definately not an issue. Hope this year turns out better.

18. Bryan95

Bryan95 Member

Question for you guys that have seeded rye into standing row crops, I’m looking to try and get some planted into some beans. When is the best time to try and get them planted? Should I wait until the beans are more mature or try and get some seed down now while we have some moisture? And do you guys try and plant it a little heavier when doing this? Not sure how well it will turn out since I can’t pack it or anything.

19. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

As soon as they yellow, plant away! Broadcast 100# /acre. I do this in all my bean plots (sometimes radishes) Basically two foodplots in 1. Here is an example. [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

20. Bryan95

Bryan95 Member

Those look awesome! That’s what I’m going for. I suppose I’ll wait a few weeks for the beans to start turning yellow and hope for rain!

21. rackhunter

rackhunter Member

I been trying to follow the double tree rotation. I planet oats with red clover this Spring in in existing turnip plot from last fall.
    I have mowed the plot a couple times recently.
    My question is can I just spray for broad leaves and go light so I don't kill the clover and come back in and drill more clover and rye and be OK?? Thoughts
    Thanks