Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

I been trying to follow the double tree rotation. I planet oats with red clover this Spring in in existing turnip plot from last fall.
I have mowed the plot a couple times recently.
My question is can I just spray for broad leaves and go light so I don't kill the clover and come back in and drill more clover and rye and be OK?? Thoughts
Thanks
I guess my question would be if you have an existing clover plot, is there is a reason you want to get rid of it just to replant clover right into it?. If your wanting the rye in there you could just lightly disc it then spread or drill the rye back into it and id bet the clover will bounce right back

• Deleted by Tmayer13
  • Reason: double posted
Show…
I been trying to follow the double tree rotation. I planet oats with red clover this Spring in in existing turnip plot from last fall.
I have mowed the plot a couple times recently.
My question is can I just spray for broad leaves and go light so I don't kill the clover and come back in and drill more clover and rye and be OK?? Thoughts
Thanks
So- u have EXISTING CLOVER & wanna add more to it? U wanna kill broadleaves? Can spray: Butyrac, imox or yes, 16-32 oz of Gly. Here’s issue with Gly.... many of weeds may be Gly tolerant. To spray low rate is not the best option. I’d personally mow it or spray other 2 options. Drill into any of those scenarios and it will add more to sparse areas and work just fine. A lot of ways to tackle this. Lots of options. Yes, would be fine though.
Above post came up same time as mine. Great points & also yet more options.

I have stuck with Dbltree's rotation recommendations for the last 8 years. I was wondering if either of the original seed mixes has been adjusted or updated.

The feed store where I purchase seed (They get it from Welter) telling me the Berseem might not be a great choice planting in the next week or so.

Brassicas mix was Per acre - 5 Lb GHR 3 Lbs PTT 2 Lbs DER
Cerial grain mix Per acre - 60 Lbs Winter Rye 60 Lbs Oats 5 Lbs GHR 8 Lbs Berseem clover 8 Lbs Red Clover

I have stuck with Dbltree's rotation recommendations for the last 8 years. I was wondering if either of the original seed mixes has been adjusted or updated.

The feed store where I purchase seed (They get it from Welter) telling me the Berseem might not be a great choice planting in the next week or so.

Brassicas mix was Per acre - 5 Lb GHR 3 Lbs PTT 2 Lbs DER
Cerial grain mix Per acre - 60 Lbs Winter Rye 60 Lbs Oats 5 Lbs GHR 8 Lbs Berseem clover 8 Lbs Red Clover

I think guys are still using the same the brassica mix with or without the rape, but the glorious thing about the cereal grain mix is y0u can make it whatever you want! I think the backbone of the mix is your winter rye but after that you can play around with it and plant to your likings. Ill be using rye, oats and radishes this year.

Yep I have left out the rape. Winter rye,horse feed oats,red clover,radish,chicory,leftover soybeans(free seed for plots),and sunflowers(bird feed kind). The feed store is probably thinking the berseem clover won't reach maturity which really doesn't matter. Just think of small fresh green plants. Even some freshly sprouted weeds will draw.

I've always wanted to just go to menards and get several varieties of bird seed and plant it. See what happens. Be an interesting experiment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've always wanted to just go to menards and get several varieties of bird seed and plant it. See what happens. Be an interesting experiment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FWIW, I planted a bag of sunflowers from Menard's once...as a plot for doves/quail. They grew fine and turned out well.

Thanks! 8 Lbs of Red clover & 8 Lbs of another clover variety seems like a lot of seed per acre. What would be your other choice of clover if you did not go with Berseem?

It’s time fellas!!!! Right now until about mid September is ideal time to get in the ground. This is your window and get after it!!!

Is it too early to put in Winter Rye on Thrusday? I don't want it to get too tall. Also, the ground is tilled/worked and will be damp. It will be hard to drag over with a harrow after i broadcast. Can i get away with just broadcasting seed and not dragging over?

Is it too early to put in Winter Rye on Thrusday? I don't want it to get too tall. Also, the ground is tilled/worked and will be damp. It will be hard to drag over with a harrow after i broadcast. Can i get away with just broadcasting seed and not dragging over?
Nope perfect time for it...broadcasting is just fine only issue could be birds eating it but you should be ok.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

This winter rye stuff is new to me. So after I plant it in a few days will I have to plant it again next september or is it established?

This winter rye stuff is new to me. So after I plant it in a few days will I have to plant it again next september or is it established?
Basically it's a cheap easy fall food source that will green up first in the spring, grow tall for great fawning cover and also build your soil...it's the perfect seed for 15$ for 50lbs...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

From Pauls 1st post on cereal mix here..... cleaned up some to take out some old stuff that won’t show up....
RIP dbltree!!!!

I know a lot of you are getting ready to plant fall grains like wheat, rye and oats. I'm getting ready to plant some myself so here's a few thoughts and links.

My favorite can't fail fall mix:

Fall rye 50-80#'s per acre (Fall rye grain, Winter Rye, Cereal rye)
Spring oats 60-100#'s per acre (any oats are fine )
Austrian Winter Peas or Field Peas at 20-100#'s per acre
Ground Hog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre
Red Clover at 8-12#'s per acre (I prefer Alta Swede Mammouth RC for a plow down

Sow large seeds first and lightly till or disc in roughly an 1" deep to cover. Use 100-200#'s of urea (nitrogen) if you expect heavy grazing and cultipack to cover.

Then broadcast the small radish and clover seeds and cultipack again to cover

Plant late August to early September....earlier in the north, later in the south

If you cannot locate seeds locally Welter Seed carries everything you need.

Ground Hog Forage Radish Seed

Pea and rye seed

Clover seeds

Rye and triticale would be my favorites for fall and winter feed. Rye is cheap but triticale (a cross between wheat and rye) is a leafier version with the attributes of both.

Cereal rye is always my first choice over wheat or any other grain because it is higher in protein, requires no fertilizer, will grow on low PH soils, has alleopathic chemicals that discourage weeds, is a nitrogen scavenger and a root system that breaks up soil hardpan and improves soil.

Make sure you ask for RYE not ryegrass seed! Rye seed is around $10-12 per bag.

Wheat works fine but doesn't have the "weed inhibitor" abilities of rye which affects next springs food plot, whatever it might be. Wheat sucks up nitrogen and has none of the soil building attributes that rye has. Wheat is lower in protein so unless it's all you can find, DON'T plant it!

Oats work well also but have a limited time frame because of frost. An early frost means it may be long dead well before the 1st of November. I use regular oats which are about $10-12 a bag versus "brand name" oats which cost considerably more and the deer mow them!

Rye and tricticale seeding rates can be from 80-100# per acre

Wheat 90-120#

Oats 80-120#

Plant cereal grains anywhere from 1/2" to 3" deep with 1 to 1 1/2" being the norm which puts the seed in the moisture zone.

Grains like winter rye can even be broadcast on bare soil and will germinate with adequate moisture so planting depth is not extremely important.

Cover by discing, dragging, tilling lightly or just cultipack to cover.
They all love nitrogen so a 100# of 46% urea (or more) would certainly encourage growth.

Seed sources

Albert Lea Seed Company

Welter Seed (check under "other grains")

Adams Briscoe Seed Company

Cooper Seeds

Hancock Seed

Greencover Seed

Fall Rye Grain

Austrian Winter Peas

Frank Forage Oats

Alta-Swede Mammoth Red Clover

PM nannyslayer on this site if your in the mid west southern Iowa area

Winter Rye

Cereal Grains include winter rye, winter wheat, spring and fall triticale, barley, buckwheat and oats and are perhaps one of the least expensive and easiest food plots that we can plant.

Of those listed winter rye (fall rye grain NOT ryegrass) is my favorite as it has a host of attributes not found in other grains. Rye is the most winter hardy, surviving the most brutal winters, grows on a wide range of soil Ph from acid to alkaline, is a nitrogen scavenger (compared to wheat that sucks up N like a sponge!! :shock: ), is one of the ultimate cover crops because of it's allelopathic effects on many types of weeds and it's ability to break up hardpan soils and is one of the highest in crude protein.

Recycle Nitrogen? Rye is one of the few plants capable of taking up nitrogen and then re-releasing it when tilled under the following spring! Not going to happen with wheat, when it use nitrogen it's gone!!

Why cereal rye?

More about Rye

Attributes of Rye

High on Rye

Winter Rye for Extending the Grazing Season

Cover Crops: Cereal Rye

CEREAL RYE - Secale cereale

Cereal Rye for Cover Cropping

These links show that rye has higher crude and digestible protein then all other cereal grains such as wheat, triticale and oats.

Winter Rye for Extending the Grazing Season

Managing Small Grains for Livestock Forage

Understanding Forage Nutrition for Ruminants

Interpreting Forage Quality Reports

I usually mix oats with my winter rye but oats like wheat is consistently lower in crude protein:

Cereal Forages for Spring Planting

Oats compared to wheat and triticale

Whitetails absolutely love rye and will dig thru deep snows to get at it during winter months and even the highest deer densities can not destroy it. I often hear people touting winter wheat but wheat cannot hold a candle to the many positives of rye and in fact has to many negative attributes to even consider it unless rye seed is not easily obtained.

Rye - Longer Grazing, fewer weeds!
Triticale is a cross between wheat and rye making it a great option but it often is not readily available without expensive shipping.

Oats are a great fall food source but even the most winter hardy oats will be killed when temps plunge into the 20 degree range.

Austrian Winter peas 50# per acre

Hairy vetch 20-40#

AWP won't survive the winter but will stay green for awhile and are just a cheap "deer candy"

Hairy vetch produces a tremendous amount of nitrogen the following spring and I'm only planting it because I will follow it with corn again. I hope to no-till the corn and beans into the growing cover crops and then kill it all with roundup.
Don't let HV go to seed and stick with peas if you aren't following it with corn.

Top Bottom